Newest Member
    joxey
Holidays 2017-18 Mid-Long Range Disco

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

Better look on the gfs? H5 improved but the column is wrecked. It's a disaster. 

Yea I got ahead of myself, @ 144 hours or so I thought the shortwave in West Canada would race down to reinforce the cold before the main show came East, but it didn't...

Regardless, the 00z CMC is a dream solution day 7-10, so we got that going for us....It also is about as close to X-mas miracle as we've seen so far too FWIW...

3 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Would that even make sense given how cold it would be two days before?

Yea, we've had plenty of snow events with cold on the way out and a west track putting us square in the warm sector after precip shuts off. Sucks when it happens but at least you can enjoy a snowfall for a few hours before it goes down the storm drain. 

I don't think the gfs has it right but the solution is plausible. 2 in a row to boot. 

Just now, Bob Chill said:

Yea, we've had plenty of snow events with cold on the way out and a west track putting us square in the warm sector after precip shuts off. Sucks when it happens but at least you can enjoy a snowfall for a fee hours before it goes down the storm drain. 

I don't think the gfs has it right but the solution is plausible. 2 in a row to boot. 

I mean, I know that can happen, but...THAT warm? (60 degrees?) Lol

And hey, just as you have the GFS and EURO at odds...so are the two almanacs for that date. One says snow NE and mostly rain in Maryland, the other says snow (seriously, somebody make a Farmer's Almanac page! Would  be so much fun to track what it gets right, lol)

5 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

See 1/17/94.  I’m not sure it went that warm but I know NYC was 12 and then 52 the same day 

I do not remember the exact date, it was somewhere between 1992-1994.  It snowed 6 inches in the morning and was in the 60's by evening.  I was living in Carroll County at the time.  I wish I could remember the exact date.

4 minutes ago, Wentzadelphia said:

Meh, let's just ignore the GFS and ride the 00z CMC and the 00z EURO when it comes out in hour and half and shows a MECS

I don't think the gfs idea is how it goes down but I won't ignore it. Strong shortwaves are going to try to cut in this pattern. Might not be nearly as extreme if something cuts. It's something we'll have to worry about for at least 5 days. 

3 minutes ago, Interstate said:

I do not remember the exact date, it was somewhere between 1992-1994.  It snowed 6 inches in the morning and was in the 60's by evening.  I was living in Carroll County at the time.  I wish I could remember the exact date.

May have been Dec 1992, I got 2 inches snow then that afternoon it was 63 degrees. I was not happy, to put it mildly

1 minute ago, evaporativecooler said:

what exactly is allowing the northern stream to capture the energy in the 00z rather than phasing with the southern low further east like in the 18z? Is it just the southeast ridge fooking things up? Really looks odd, especially around 210, but idk. 

It's not really a se ridge. The ridge is caused by the digging shortwave in the west. The trough digs basically due south without moving east so the downstream response is to raise heights because there is no confluence or block. 

4 minutes ago, Interstate said:

Yes... That would be nice... Only one day of work before getting nailed.  Wouldn't ruin anyone NYE plans either.

I badly wanted a Dec 31 til Jan 1 storm so bad, heavy snow or better yet, severe ICE. Perfect timing.

Besides, who needs to go somewhere to celebrate New Years when you got deep snow and/or ice? Go out and savor a jebwalk, wear a t-shirt and drink an ice cold molson for the full effect.

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived