Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Holidays 2017-18 Mid-Long Range Disco

WxUSAF

30 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I will say this....we can always fail but that long duration "downhill slope" in the upper levels shredding everything for days is suspect. I'm not buying into that progression. Cold and suppression probably isn't going to win like that. A pac shortwave hits every couple days. One or more will find a way for someone in the east. 

Great post. I agree wholeheartedly... We have to get lucky at some point

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Ensembles are really struggling inside of 10 days right now. They seemingly support whatever the op shows. I expect the 12z gefs to be bad but that's only because the op was bad. 

I could see an easy fail with an inactive pattern and cold air. This is actually a fairly active pattern. 

Funny the GFS goes squash city after last nights EPS probably overamped so many storms with the cutter solutions. 

36 minutes ago, usedtobe said:

A lot of why it gets suppressed is how the GFS handles up in Canada and all the models are typically pretty bad at that.  The tendency here after so much disappointment is to believe the worst model solution.   I'd be surprised to see us strike out before all the cold is used up but I've been surprised many times.

Well if anybody should know Canada it should be the Canadian 

5 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

We go through this cycle every freekin year and I think the same thing every freekin time.....why do I go this and what a stupid hobby...

There are a few rooms left over in Panic.  Euro amped solutions at 0z.  It’s not over just yet but you know that.  The weenie solutions become reality in our minds and they are hard to walk back from don’t care how hardy we are..we are all weenies deep down or we wouldn’t be here. 

8 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

We go through this cycle every freekin year and I think the same thing every freekin time.....why do I go this and what a stupid hobby...

I feel the same way brother, although as you alluded to GEFS looks way better than the OP. We can only pray. 

3 minutes ago, Buddy1987 said:

I feel the same way brother, although as you alluded to GEFS looks way better than the OP. We can only pray. 

The highest highs and lowest lows. The thing that makes it so dumb is we're grown adults addicted to snowstorms. It's not something I talk about with many people outside of my family. They get it and love it. Other folks....nasomuch...lol

Gefs run is rock solid. As good as any I've seen (other than 0z last night) and way better than 6z. Lol. This panel is just about to put us in the comma head ccb snows. 

gfs-ens_apcpn24_us_25.png

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

The highest highs and lowest lows. The thing that makes it so dumb is we're grown adults addicted to snowstorms. It's not something I talk about with many people outside of my family. They get it and love it. Other folks....nasomuch...lol

Gefs run is rock solid. As good as any I've seen (other than 0z last night) and way better than 6z. Lol. This panel is just about to put us in the comma head ccb snows. 

gfs-ens_apcpn24_us_25.png

Amen, that would work ! We are going to do this !!   

Just looking at todays UKMET and the surface depiction is looking great at 144. Low pressures streaming up from the gulf into west VA with what looks to be the beginnings of a transfer over to off of roughly OBX. Wish I could see a 500 mb map.

eta: actually this is 00Z? Thought it was supposed to be progressive? Looks good to me.

If blank, model image not available

20 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I stand corrected. Gefs looks great. Solid support for the TN valley to NC coast + overrunnng and coastal storm on Fri-Sat. Lol. Go figure. 

Given the gefs known issues with lack of spread when the op is an extreme outlier it's an even bigger red flag.  

Beyond that I'm not surprised at anything anymore. I'm more surprised that some throw around such definitive statements about potential storms when we have seen time and again how Mother Nature can pull a rug out at any moment. But I'm not discouraged by that. The thrill of the hunt is part of the fun. Just like sports it wouldn't be fun if we knew the outcome before the game is played. I get disappointed  when the eagles lose but I'm still going to watch the next game  

And im not in the camp that trashes the models and screams chaos. The models can't get the details right from long range. And those details matter for ground truth. But we wouldn't even know there was a threat to possibly bust on in a week without them. People can tell us about wholly worms and the barometric pressure at some arbitrary station in Alaska but truth is very few if any could look at the current conditions globally and accurately predict 7-10 days from now without the computer guidance. So worrying about a day 5+ threat wouldn't even be a thing without them. 

22 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Given the gefs known issues with lack of spread when the op is an extreme outlier it's an even bigger red flag.  

I saw on another website that the GFS Op was the snowiest ensemble member at 0z and the least snowiest at 6z.  Wouldn't be surprised if 12z was also the least snowy.  

4 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

I saw on another website that the GFS Op was the snowiest ensemble member at 0z and the least snowiest at 6z.  Wouldn't be surprised if 12z was also the least snowy.  

Not the least snowiest because there are other blanks in the mix but there are a lot of ideal tracks. No west tracks at all. The ones that dump take a classic and good track. 

f168.gif

Eta: overall, the 12z gefs was pretty inspiring. If I never saw the op and just looked at the gefs I would be feeling pretty good about our chances. 

3 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Busy today but took a quick glance at gefs. Go figure after the worst op run they might be the snowiest gefs run yet this winter.  

53 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Like the clockwork precision of the swallows returning to Capistrano, we return to the models every 6 hours for some guidance. I’m pretty sure it’s a biological thing, just like with the swallows. 

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived