Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Holidays 2017-18 Mid-Long Range Disco

WxUSAF

2 hours ago, Scraff said:

Warm up the amps, tune up the guitars, the MoCo/HoCo death band is back out on tour.  :guitar:

Not just the HoCo/MoCo Death Band.

They are gonna hold a major festival in Central and Western Maryland.

One gigantic death band that stays put for 40 hours, where snow rates of up to 4 inches an hour will be realized.

I am thinking about a road trip, this is one outdoor festival I dont want to miss.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, wkd said:

Memory lane:

I used to listen to a radio show out of Owings Mill Maryland(think that's right). Came on at 6:30 or 7:00 in the morning and lasted about 30 min I believe. Good in depth analysis of the weather nation-wide. I was so pissed when it went off the air.

There was "A.M. Weather" on public TV.

31 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

We will thaw in January,  no doubt. Never made this call before, but we will get a SSW this year. Base state is in our favor and the pv has already done some crazy stuff and we've haf some anamolous ridge around the Pole.  It's ripe for it to happen.  I think that results in a decent pattern for ay leadt 10-14 days.

31 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

We will thaw in January,  no doubt. Never made this call before, but we will get a SSW this year. Base state is in our favor and the pv has already done some crazy stuff and we've haf some anamolous ridge around the Pole.  It's ripe for it to happen.  I think that results in a decent pattern for ay leadt 10-14 days.

Mitch, in this thread further down Amy seems to think we might have such an event later in the winter. We are past due by several years, but that does not really mean anything in terms of when we do get a SSW event.  

I imagine the QBO is geared to a SSW event. I forget about whether they correlate more with Nino's versus Nina's. Do you know ?

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Thankfully the gfs is backing down on the shred machine upper air pattern. You can see a shift towards allowing more amplification by hr 78. Hopefully this run does something and we can relax from the 12z disaster. 

I can't see changes from 12z at 500

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Thankfully the gfs is backing down on the shred machine upper air pattern. You can see a shift towards allowing more amplification by hr 78. Hopefully this run does something and we can relax from the 12z disaster. 

And then we were partly sunny again lol. I do agree it looked better at 66 out west but just went to crap from there. With all the model support it’s missing something in the upper air pattern that the others are catching onto. I believe the ensembles will be solid again.

Just think that GFS is still "losing the storm". When all ensembles and several Ops are starting to get a consensus, the GFS does this. Remember, this is what it showed for the Christmas event just 3 days ago

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_19.thumb.png.dfd78e360bec83a82a87ae0e6188a2f3.png

It took until hr 96 for the GFS to figure this storm out, while the GEFS already had figured it out.

1 minute ago, BristowWx said:

Gives me pause.  Op runs should be zeroing in somwewhat.  It's looks like suppression despression.

Do not lose hope my friend. We have had a TON of support today from models that have performed much better as of late. The gfs ensembles as well are on our side. The gfs imho is missing something and will catch on. We’ve seen this so many times unfortunately. 

3 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

The thing that's so weird with the gfs is it isn't so much that the shortwave gets sheared/squashed. It that there is no shortwave at all and we're not talking super long leads. D3-4. That's the part I don't get. 

Do shortwaves just disappear like that? (Does it ever show up on the map at any point in the run?)

From DT's post earlier today

""Anyone with ANY recollection of how GFS model has handle NE US snowstorms can easily recall the MANY times over past 20 years where the op GFS shows significant system past DAY 7 ....THEN "loses" it 108-156 tiem frame .... -THEN " finds it" once the event is within 96hrs. in some way it is encouraging when the op GFS runs do this...it means all is right with the world because the fookign GFS is up to its old bull**** again.""

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived