Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dec 22-23 snow/ice threat

ORH_wxman

6 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

The very tail of the MAV and MET have ORH at 39 00z Friday evening. Put me down for way, way under.

It was 9 years ago...and MAV has improved since then, but I still remember 42F for ORH in December 2008 ice storm with temps above freezing for the rest of the event after the first 6 hours. Always a good one for me to quote.

Even the vaunted Euro tried to drive the sfc low into western MA for a couple runs inside of 36 hours. The WRF back then was by far the most superior in CAD...in fact, it was so "skilled" with it, it actually ended up slightly too cold...but even that model missed the duration of the CAd, it still tried to warm the interior eventually late in the event which ultimately failed in reality.

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Really? I'm surprised about that because all models really show a nasty look for Boston. 

Assuming that look stays like it is on guidance through 12z and 00z tomorrow night....any met who doesn't slam the potential disaster near Boston for Friday evening and overnight is simply not looking at any model charts. Prob pure rip and read.

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It was 9 years ago...and MAV has improved since then, but I still remember 42F for ORH in December 2008 ice storm with temps above freezing for the rest of the event after the first 6 hours. Always a good one for me to quote.

Even the vaunted Euro tried to drive the sfc low into western MA for a couple runs inside of 36 hours. The WRF back then was by far the most superior in CAD...in fact, it was so "skilled" with it, it actually ended up slightly too cold...but even that model missed the duration of the CAd, it still tried to warm the interior eventually late in the event which ultimately failed in reality.

I'll say I take note when our massive model blends even show a cold tuck. You would think at this range that might be the sort of thing that gets smoothed out, but even the national blend of models shows a cold tuck into NE MA.

Things looking good this morning.  It's becoming apparent that being down in NW Mass will be a better spot than Pit2. 

GC through SVT/CNH/ME might do best with snow, but I think Dave to ORH and points NNE from there will 'win' in the icing department.  I prefer the snow and power.

21.4/12, Pit1

14*, Pit2

The Swiss model is downright nasty for a lot of ern MA tomorrow night. Funny that I am actually referencing that, but it also makes sense in these setups. Something to watch. I feel like the classic N and W talk I am hearing this morning is probably not doing the BOS area enough justice. Could be nasty tomorrow night into Saturday. 

15 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

Things looking good this morning.  It's becoming apparent that being down in NW Mass will be a better spot than Pit2. 

GC through SVT/CNH/ME might do best with snow, but I think Dave to ORH and points NNE from there will 'win' in the icing department.  I prefer the snow and power.

21.4/12, Pit1

14*, Pit2

Both places (pit 1&2)will be mainly snow imho.  

5 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Both places (pit 1&2)will be mainly snow imho.  

Perhaps--I think the snow is really going to align from GC up through Jeff.   The warm air aloft will put a cap on GC, so I'm not sure if primarily snow will be the case.  That said, I do think BOX's ice amounts in GC may be on the high side with more snow than their 'expected' map is showing.  Northern ORH county though---watch out.

Christmas looks to be a Ray - Pit2 special.

30 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

Perhaps--I think the snow is really going to align from GC up through Jeff.   The warm air aloft will put a cap on GC, so I'm not sure if primarily snow will be the case.  That said, I do think BOX's ice amounts in GC may be on the high side with more snow than their 'expected' map is showing.  Northern ORH county though---watch out.

Christmas looks to be a Ray - Pit2 special.

I think you’re rue right about 12/22-23.   Xmas looks better and better for most of us.

43 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

The Swiss model is downright nasty for a lot of ern MA tomorrow night. Funny that I am actually referencing that, but it also makes sense in these setups. Something to watch. I feel like the classic N and W talk I am hearing this morning is probably not doing the BOS area enough justice. Could be nasty tomorrow night into Saturday. 

It is the Super Swiss...so there's that.

Towns like Bedford, and Burlington could be pretty nasty. Maybe the Blue Hills area?  Does their elevation matter for this?

Just now, HoarfrostHubb said:

Towns like Bedford, and Burlington could be pretty nasty. Maybe the Blue Hills area?  Does their elevation matter for this?

I think the low elevations have a bit of an advantage to stay sleet vs zr and higher ones definitely more dangerous.   I expect mby to be disastrous once the snow is out and zr is in.

Just now, weathafella said:

I think the low elevations have a bit of an advantage to stay sleet vs zr and higher ones definitely more dangerous.   I expect mby to be disastrous once the snow is out and zr is in.

Actually local Mets here in CT are saying the valleys will be more prone to hold the cold longer here in CT.  Don’t know how it will shake out, but that’s the pros take here??

6 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Not really. It's a matter of the cstl front. If winds are east, even BLue Hill is above freezing.

But thinking ahead...I'm all about the airlines at BOS. Rain vs freezing rain or freezing drizzle is a serious issue on such a busy travel time. We're already warning of potential issues. Better to be safe and plan ahead. 

3 minutes ago, Modfan said:

I think the BOX ice totals might be conservative for areas of S ORH county into NE CT, we will see how the models trend today.

They don’t understand CT climate and don’t spend any time on CT zones. Their primary focus is Eastern Mass. It’s why you are still seeing them forecast 40’s this weekend :lol:

29 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Actually local Mets here in CT are saying the valleys will be more prone to hold the cold longer here in CT.  Don’t know how it will shake out, but that’s the pros take here??

Pretty much echoes my thoughts.  The lower you are the deeper the cold by definition.   So sleet vs zr is favored.

23 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

They don’t understand CT climate and don’t spend any time on CT zones. Their primary focus is Eastern Mass. It’s why you are still seeing them forecast 40’s this weekend :lol:

That’s a damning statement.   They may or may not be wrong but do you really think NWS BOX is ignoring CT?

11 minutes ago, weathafella said:

That’s a damning statement.   They may or may not be wrong but do you really think NWS BOX is ignoring CT?

Who said ignore? They rarely , rarely mention anything about CT in any of their AFD’s or tweets. I read them all everyday. We aren’t one of their priorities and it’s quite evident. Quite frankly we shouldn’t be obviously with big population of BOS area, but we do still deserve more time spent than is.

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Who said ignore? They rarely , rarely mention anything about CT in any of their AFD’s or tweets. I read them all everyday. We aren’t one of their priorities and it’s quite evident. Quite frankly we shouldn’t be obviously with big population of BOS area, but we do still deserve more time spent than is.

They are trying to trade you to OKX for a 4th round pick and cash.

Archived