Newest Member
    joxey
Winter model mehhem or mayhem nature will decide

weathafella

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Modfan said:

ROOSTA- I saw something that Tampa area could receive snow late this week; it has cooled off down here considerably the last few days

Gots to laugh at this...long story, short version. Planted banana's two years back, spent most of the monies on the dirt. Freezing only on a couple of mornings. (so far) They've grown to a height of 8 feet ready to bloom...if I get just one banana I'm going to stuff and frame it to the wall.
Can't wait to get the tub up to 100F swim a lap or two and then jump in all awhile the flurries fly....LOL
Neighbors are in parkas and I'm still swimming! LOL

The threat has always been real, just hoping it continues to trend W'ward. 

2 minutes ago, cut said:

What do you mean by this RUNNAWAY? Fellow CT. person - you are about 30 miles to my North/East.

Sometimes if the southern piece of energy is out ahead a bit but the northern piece dives into the trough, it can yank the southern piece back and really tilt the trough...kinda like Tip roping in a girl whos trying to run away from him. 

2 minutes ago, ineedsnow said:

One GEFS member takes this down to 943mb and a couple take it to 945mb... That would be nuts

These sub 960 members off the SNE coast aren’t unrealitstic imo, given the airmass over the northeast is typical of areas 500 miles to the north. Usually it’s SE Canada that gets the nuke, but we are in SE Canada right now, if you will....

3 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

These sub 960 members off the SNE coast aren’t unrealitstic imo, given the airmass over the northeast is typical of areas 500 miles to the north. Usually it’s SE Canada that gets the nuke, but we are in SE Canada right now, if you will....

That bath water compared to this air mass certainly can support bombogenesis.

23 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

All about the timing of the s/w's

Yea unfortunately no -NAO. So the flow is racing. Doesn’t give much margin for error timing wise. Definitely want to favor Eastern sections given the cold in place and ++NAO. 

That said a robust shortwave passing near the Gulf frequently tends to overperform in terms of downstream UL height rises. Really want to see the Southern Shortwave ramp up early to get the timing to work out for a majority of us. If the southern wave stays weak, this is probably well ots. If it comes in hot, it’s probably just outside the BM...

1 hour ago, JBinStoughton said:

I just mean it would be ridiculous if we rain after a week of frigid cold to be follwed up immediately by more frigid cold.  Don’t do it. 

January 2014.  For the 1st 15 days of that month, temps here ran 4.3F BN, average day was 23/0, we had 3.46" precip and only 2.1" snow (and no IP/ZR.)  That's a nearly impossible trifecta.

It looks to me as though the 00z guidance suite was improved for storm enthusiasts ... Did anyone notice ?

heh..

Seriously, whatever is generated, it will be doing so amid an utter baroclinic surplus that will undoubtedly be aligned along a rough axis between approximately New Orleans to NF. It is probable in my mind that even for the Euro ... these models are tasked to hold that potential in the balance and 'wait' on mechanics to 'ignite' - ... metaphorically, it's just too temping..

I suspect what we were actually seeing modeled (since the big bomb run from two or so days back...) was based upon excessive numerical instabilities. Such a static, velocity rich mid level atmosphere blasting perpetually running over top these attenuating arctic air masses as they are periodically terminating around the axis of the Gulf Stream/cP mixing region of the marine environment over the west Atlantic...  Good luck.

An homage to that, shark kills have been noted do to temperature/flashing shock with the SST off the NE coast.  Carcasses of otherwise healthy marine specimens are washing to shore... Healthy nurse sharks that did a mastodon seize and rolled up belly to the sky.

Anyway, the governing mechanics from that run two clicks back might have gotten lost or significantly under-sampled ... and instead we were looking at ...computer enhanced fantasies ("War Games" rip) because they were left to their own devices handling all that volatility. 

I suggest the 00z run are tapping into more wave presentation in the atmosphere and that is why we are seeing/...well, identifying wave signatures and subsequent events with more coherence again.

Unfortunately, that doesn't really offer much confidence either way; it's just an observation/suspicion over what's going on with that January 4 through 6 range of time. There is still time for nothing at all ...although I personally think that is becoming the less probability scenario, given to erstwhile arguments about mass-field balancing/teleconnector tapestries during that era.

We are still seeing a PNA burgeon on the heals of an at least temporary collapse of the EPO/cold load into the Canadian shield.  That's really a tele 101 relay one should look for, for significant events over mid latitudes of America. Something restorative in the large circulation is better than 50% for occurrence here, which is very very good for still D6+.  Also, other logistics to consider as other's have noted is modeling trends, though, above talking points might help lend reasons why that trend is/will continue.  The members of the overnight GEFs individually carrying signals shows overwhelmingly that the potential is there, we just need the models to really get consistent with identifying atmospheric features capable of doing anything at all...It really will not take much given that baroclinic saturation that's in place with attenuating arctic air masses tormenting the 70+ F g-string waters. A a cyclostrophic orgasm is but a flick away... 

Not to get "ahead" of my self...

I got to be honest ... I am also equally impressed by what could be a historical cold intrusion on the back side of that circulation. I am sure other's have noted and all do recognition notwithstanding... -28 C possibly down as far as ORH is egregiously gelid.

20 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I got to be honest ... I am also equally impressed by what could be a historical cold intrusion on the back side of that circulation. I am sure other's have noted and all do recognition notwithstanding... -28 C possibly down as far as ORH is egregiously gelid.

Excellent use of the word "gelid." We would have also accepted hyperborean and hiemal. 

On an unrelated note, there were a number of remarkably deep ensemble members on the Euro. Lots of low 960s to 950s.

23 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

It looks to me as though the 00z guidance suite was improved for storm enthusiasts ... Did anyone notice ?

heh..

Seriously, whatever is generated, it will be doing so amid an utter baroclinic surplus that will undoubtedly be aligned along a rough axis between approximately New Orleans to NF. It is probable in my mind that even for the Euro ... these models are tasked to hold that potential in the balance and 'wait' on mechanics to 'ignite' - ... metaphorically, it's just too temping..

I suspect what we were actually seeing modeled (since the big bomb run from two or so days back...) was based upon excessive numerical instabilities. Such a static, velocity rich mid level atmosphere blasting perpetually running over top these attenuating arctic air masses as they are periodically terminating around the axis of the Gulf Stream/cP mixing region of the marine environment over the west Atlantic...  Good luck.

An homage to that, shark kills have been noted do to temperature/flashing shock with the SST off the NE coast.  Carcasses of otherwise healthy marine specimens are washing to shore... Healthy nurse sharks that did a mastodon seize and rolled up belly to the sky.

Anyway, the governing mechanics from that run two clicks back might have gotten lost or significantly under-sampled ... and instead we were looking at ...computer enhanced fantasies ("War Games" rip) because they were left to their own devices handling all that volatility. 

I suggest the 00z run are tapping into more wave presentation in the atmosphere and that is why we are seeing/...well, identifying wave signatures and subsequent events with more coherence again.

Unfortunately, that doesn't really offer much confidence either way; it's just an observation/suspicion over what's going on with that January 4 through 6 range of time. There is still time for nothing at all ...although I personally think that is becoming the less probability scenario, given to erstwhile arguments about mass-field balancing/teleconnector tapestries during that era.

We are still seeing a PNA burgeon on the heals of an at least temporary collapse of the EPO/cold load into the Canadian shield.  That's really a tele 101 relay one should look for, for significant events over mid latitudes of America. Something restorative in the large circulation is better than 50% for occurrence here, which is very very good for still D6+.  Also, other logistics to consider as other's have noted is modeling trends, though, above talking points might help lend reasons why that trend is/will continue.  The members of the overnight GEFs individually carrying signals shows overwhelmingly that the potential is there, we just need the models to really get consistent with identifying atmospheric features capable of doing anything at all...It really will not take much given that baroclinic saturation that's in place with attenuating arctic air masses tormenting the 70+ F g-string waters. A a cyclostrophic orgasm is but a flick away... 

Not to get "ahead" of my self...

As a completely ignorant amateur in the science of weather, I could study this post for weeks and still have not a clue to what he just said.

Archived