Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter model mehhem or mayhem nature will decide

weathafella

22 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Looks very inverted trough like, kinda hate seeing that and relying on such a solution.

Just remember...9/10 times that inverted tough BS is a provisional solution..an attempt by the model to reconcile currently modeled ennui with the fact that something of substance may go down.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Just remember...9/10 times that inverted tough BS is a provisional solution..an attempt by the model to reconcile currently modeled ennui with the fact that something of substance may go down.

Yeah a lot of times the medium range IVT is the model not sure of how to handle the best upper level forcing..typically it runs the low level baroclinic zone east but has intense upper air support to the west. A lot of times it turns into a real storm...the two areas end up meeting eventually. 

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah a lot of times the medium range IVT is the model not sure of how to handle the best upper level forcing..typically it runs the low level baroclinic zone east but has intense upper air support to the west. A lot of times it turns into a real storm...the two areas end up meeting eventually. 

Please!

1 hour ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

This kind of an air mass reminds me of those in the past before an epic blizzard, that dry bone chilling cold, I measured with my hand held weather instrument that measures, wind direction, speed, temperature and wind chill.  It recorded a temp of 16.9F this morning as the sun was rising, I took a quick walk.  Try to get the brain flowing for writing.  It reminds me of the air mass before the Jan 05 blizzard and the day before the Jan 2015 blizzard, although that storm didn't have quite the arctic air mass that 05 did.  Plus I looked at all of the 2015 blizzard threads this week from the discussion model threads to the actual observations thread for good karma.  So here is to another epic blizzard in Southern New England.

Just curious, is there anything that doesn't remind you of these storms? ;)

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Often times its more important to determine what the model is trying to comminicate and why, as oppose to interpreting raw output and any sensible implications. 

This is one of those times.

2 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

OK, I get that..makes sense. 

Id like to see a less proggy trough, nuetral tilt would be enough. 

For Miller B storms, the GFS notoriously is bad.  You’d think it wouldn’t be but it is.   Euro typically is ok with thes but if you remember some of the legendary storms even the euro didn’t have much until we wer d3.

Pleasantly surprised to see the Pacific fight back on the long range (11-15) ensembles.   This is going to be a fun winter.

6 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

OK, I get that..makes sense. 

Id like to see a less proggy trough, nuetral tilt would be enough. 

Wait until tomorrow night...we will have either seen the inv trough fade, or a storm will show up.

The inv trough is usually, not always, the model shrugging its shoulders and buying time.

3 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Wait until tomorrow night...we will have either seen the inv trough fade, or a storm will show up.

The inv trough is usually, not always, the model shrugging its shoulders and buying time.

The legit IVTs seem to sneak up on us in the short term. Agree with you guys 100% on the mid range faux ones.

3 minutes ago, weathafella said:

For Miller B storms, the GFS notoriously is bad.  You’d think it wouldn’t be but it is.   Euro typically is ok with thes but if you remember some of the legendary storms even the euro didn’t have much until we wer d3.

Pleasantly surprised to see the Pacific fight back on the long range (11-15) ensembles.   This is going to be a fun winter.

I’ve been all in on a big winter since Oct, so I’m invested in being right to my viewers (wife, brother, and mother in law). I do like the “runaway whineburg” comment by ginxy cat, classic. 

And yea, the big miller Bs sneak up...need a “not gonna happen James” nye miracle though for something big. Small event with crappy phasing is more likely, too reliant on perfect timing. 

21 minutes ago, weathafella said:

yea even the weeklies are showing the -EPO come back and that air mass in Eastern Canada stays at -30 range, Crysophere for the win this year, Bring back Tippy

3 hours ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

This kind of an air mass reminds me of those in the past before an epic blizzard, that dry bone chilling cold, 

Yeah but I've also seen more instances where these cold snaps are broken by a storm cutting to Detroit.   I am in no way trying to be a Debbie downer, I've just been through it enough times to keep my expectations in check. 

11 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Yeah but I've also seen more instances where these cold snaps are broken by a storm cutting to Detroit.   I am in no way trying to be a Debbie downer, I've just been through it enough times to keep my expectations in check. 

His weenie deserves no bun, just all bone served cold.

Archived