Newest Member
    joxey
Winter model mehhem or mayhem nature will decide

weathafella

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

A warmer climate could dictate larger precipitation events, but the hemispheric signals that foreshadow a ratter do not care if the climate is warming or cooling.

A higher frequency rate of larger precipitation events and bad winters are not mutually exclusive. And to claim larger snow events have not been the rule is every bit as delusional as denying global warming.

3 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

A higher frequency rate of larger precipitation events and bad winters are not mutually exclusive. And to claim larger snow events have not been the rule us every bit as delusional as denying global warming.

I think you are missing the point. Just because we will have a larger precipitation event once in a while does not mean Winters will feature more and more snow.  The hemispheric patterns that dictate ratters are completely independent of the climate warming or cooling or whatever. You can have incredible Winters in a warmer world you can have complete duds in a warmer world.

Just now, CoastalWx said:

I think you are missing the point. Just because we will have a larger precipitation event once in a while does not mean Winters will feature more and more snow.  The hemispheric patterns that dictate ratters are completely independent of the climate warming or cooling or whatever. You can have incredible Winters in a warmer world you can have complete duds in a warmer world.

Pretty sure I already stated that a higher frequency rate of larger events doesn't have to mean higher annual snowfall.

31 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

A higher frequency rate of larger precipitation events and bad winters are not mutually exclusive. And to claim larger snow events have not been the rule is every bit as delusional as denying global warming.

I think it depends where you live on your perspective.  However we had a lot of huge storms in the past during certain streaks, like 1960s/70s.

I certainly agree with the higher precip in a warming climate, because it makes sense. But I'm not sold it means increased frequency of huge events.  Maybe the SWFE are a bit juicier...same with the overrunning or clippers.  But maybe it increases precip in all events on a micro-scale, including precip bombs.

27 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

It may help reduce the number of ratters though.... if one storm can get you half your climo snowfall, it’s hard to rat.

That's always been why I've thought you can't call a Winter a ratter until very late in SNE if judging by snowfall totals.  Anyone averaging under 60" can get out of ratter territory even with a 3-foot bomb in March or even April.  It's not likely, but it could happen.  Even lower snowfall averages can get out of a ratter with 2 solid snowstorms that aren't even top 10 material.  

Up in NNE and places with averages say over 80-90", and moreso in the 110"+ averages, you'll know if the winter is in serious trouble a lot earlier.  One or two storms can't save some seasons even by February... unless it's like 2007 and you get bombs away from Valentines Day to Tax Day.

12 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I think it depends where you live on your perspective.  However we had a lot of huge storms in the past during certain streaks, like 1960s/70s.

I certainly agree with the higher precip in a warming climate, because it makes sense. But I'm not sold it means increased frequency of huge events.  Maybe the SWFE are a bit juicier...same with the overrunning or clippers.  But maybe it increases precip in all events on a micro-scale, including precip bombs.

Also have to factor in greatest rate of warming being at the poles...could potentially foster an enviornment more conducive to major cyclogenesis because of increased incidence of blocking and/or less capacity for the atmosphere to engineer an anonamously steep gradient in the geopotential medium (sheer).

40 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

A warmer climate could dictate larger precipitation events, but the hemispheric signals that foreshadow a ratter do not care if the climate is warming or cooling.

My point is the last 10 years at least none of those winters have been a ratter. The last time I would call any winter a ratter was 1996. As it was very dry and very cold too. However, there still was at least one big snowstorm. The hemispheric signals as you mention don't look too bad at all for this winter. At least we have coastal storms developing. Even though they are missing us. Doesn't mean they all will. 

9 minutes ago, leo2000 said:

My point is the last 10 years at least none of those winters have been a ratter. The last time I would call any winter a ratter was 1996. As it was very dry and very cold too. However, there still was at least one big snowstorm. The hemispheric signals as you mention don't look too bad at all for this winter. At least we have coastal storms developing. Even though they are missing us. Doesn't mean they all will. 

11 12 , climate . Lots of lemming posts in here. 

24 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Also have to factor in greatest rate of warming being at the poles...could potentially foster an enviornment more conducive to major cyclogenesis because of increased incidence of blocking and/or less capacity for the atmosphere to engineer an anonamously steep gradient in the geopotential medium (sheer).

There is likely a sweet spot where a warming climate can help perhaps with increased snowfall and a temporary spike in 30 yr averages. We could have had it, or maybe it has yet to occur. Our climate is such that we can afford some wiggle room, but eventually we'll reach the tipping point. I agree...I hope to be 6' under when that happens.

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

There is likely a sweet spot where a warming climate can help perhaps with increased snowfall and a temporary spike in 30 yr averages. We could have had it, or maybe it has yet to occur. Our climate is such that we can afford some wiggle room, but eventually we'll reach the tipping point. I agree...I hope to be 6' under when that happens.

110% in agreement.

Archived