joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter model mehhem or mayhem nature will decide

weathafella

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think of this cold.  I wasn’t here in 1980 or 1989 but I do remember December 1962.  We couldn’t get a big dog to blow up but I believe that’s the year of the NFL championship game in frigid yankee stadium.  My friends and I were hanging around Times Square trying to score tickets and we couldn’t.  These were the days when home games had a 75 mile radius TV blackout even for playoffs.  We ended up at the old garden for a rangers leafs game.  This “old lady” in her early 30s was bragging about all the pro athletes she knew.  Jerry Casale was the center of the conversation.  Look him up. Oh the Leafs won 4-1.

23 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Think of this cold.  I wasn’t here in 1980 or 1989 but I do remember December 1962.  We couldn’t get a big dog to blow up but I believe that’s the year of the NFL championship game in frigid yankee stadium.  My friends and I were hanging around Times Square trying to score tickets and we couldn’t.  These were the days when home games had a 75 mile radius TV blackout even for playoffs.  We ended up at the old garden for a rangers leafs game.  This “old lady” in her early 30s was bragging about all the pro athletes she knew.  Jerry Casale was the center of the conversation.  Look him up. Oh the Leafs won 4-1.

Great story, awesome recollection too!

5 minutes ago, Minenfeld! said:

Has there ever been a major storm that had model agreement days and days out and then played out that way? As I've been watching the past few years, one of the themes is model uncertainty and waffling.

Depends on what you mean by playing out that way. There have been any number of storms with a strong model signal say for a coastal that end up verifying as a strong coastal storm. 

But if you are talking about day 7 jackpot from Kevin to Dendrite while screwing Ray exactly for all 28 remaining runs of the GFS, no that will waffle back and forth. 

The key is not to get sucked in by details at this range. The models will shift, but the key is figuring out why they are shifting and monitor those trends (i.e. is the shortwave sharper/flatter/north/south/etc).

49 minutes ago, Minenfeld! said:

Has there ever been a major storm that had model agreement days and days out and then played out that way? As I've been watching the past few years, one of the themes is model uncertainty and waffling.

February 2013 is the one that immediately comes to mind.  I barely remember it changing in the modeling for like 5-7 days.

Archived