Newest Member
    joxey
Winter model mehhem or mayhem nature will decide

weathafella

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Neblizzard said:

That’s a beautiful pattern out west which allows for plenty of amplification.  The Atlantic could be better , perhaps that transient block near NF could be just enough ? We’ll see ...

Thats not a transient block in NF. In fact, it would be nice to see a low there to lock the high in, instead it escapes east.

2 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Thats not a transient block in NF. In fact, it would be nice to see a low there to lock the high in, instead it escapes east.

The cyclogenesis is beautiful, but that's about it. Not the evolution you want out this way for a really high snow totals. 

1 minute ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I meant where it goes, not who gets crushed. I always want it to go slightly inland for selfish reasons. *ducks*

The evolution is kind of odd in a sense though, I'm thinking we will end up losing this dual low look as we move along to closer in time to the event.

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

Think of this cold.  I wasn’t here in 1980 or 1989 but I do remember December 1962.  We couldn’t get a big dog to blow up but I believe that’s the year of the NFL championship game in frigid yankee stadium.  My friends and I were hanging around Times Square trying to score tickets and we couldn’t.  These were the days when home games had a 75 mile radius TV blackout even for playoffs.  We ended up at the old garden for a rangers leafs game.  This “old lady” in her early 30s was bragging about all the pro athletes she knew.  Jerry Casale was the center of the conversation.  Look him up. Oh the Leafs won 4-1.

Some press box folks at the Lombardi Field "Ice Bowl" in 1967 stated that the only game comparable for cold discomfort was that 12/30/62 game.  Temps in the teens, wind gusting in the 50s (at least), and poor Y.A. Tittle,s passing game was kaput.  Jerry Kramer attempted 5 FGs from inside 40 yards, making 3, and the Giants' only score came from blocking a punt.  Next day was colder (afternoon high of 4° at my place) and even windier.  It's NYC's strongest Dec wind on record, and uprooted 2' diameter oaks out of semi-frozen ground near our place.  Only the 1950 Apps gale can compete with that day for the strongest winds I've experienced.  The 1962 winds were backside of the Penobscot Punisher, the storm that ate Bangor - 30" to 45", winds to 60, temps (in BGR) cycling from subzero to near 32 and back again, drifts 16'+.

LOL for 12z GFS day 8 storm.  LP moves NNE from the Florida Straits to east of the Carolina coast, heads due N, then parks for 12 hours atop Isles of Shoals while pounding inland NH/Maine?  A track I can't ever remember seeing.  After Sandy's weird path, who knows?

18 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Verbatim the GFS and Euro are about as hellacious a WAA thump you'll find.

Obviously there will be a pivot and deformation band somewhere, but the modeled WAA portion is something else.

Not going to lie, it reminds me of the WAA thump forecast for last year's March blizzard.  The models definitely over-did that QPF...remember it was showing like widespread 0.6-1.2" QPF in like a 6-hour time moving through New England?  

It snowed big but I remember talk afterwards that models were way too high on that amount of moisture coming out with the thump.

4 minutes ago, dryslot said:

The evolution is kind of odd in a sense though, I'm thinking we will end up losing this dual low look as we move along to closer in time to the event.

Agreed. It's the same as Ray's depiction of the inverted trough. In this case the models don't really know which low center to hang it's hat on so it puts both on the map.

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Not going to lie, it reminds me of the WAA thump forecast for last year's March blizzard.  The models definitely over-did that QPF...remember it was showing like widespread 0.6-1.2" QPF in like a 6-hour time moving through New England?  

It snowed big but I remember talk afterwards that models were way too high on that amount of moisture coming out with the thump.

Yes.

13 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I think western NE  and New York are ground zero there.

I lean more east.  I'm very skeptical when it's this cold of something trying to run the coastline.  But I guess if the upper air pattern helps it.... I don't really see how a deep low like that just plows inland with the Arctic air entrenched.  

Nice to over-analyze a day 7-8 threat though.

7 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Right. In general, it's pretty hard to go more than 1" QPF in the WAA alone. That's why we tend to cap amounts around a foot from that portion of a storm alone.

It's mostly duration related and not forcing. If you WAA only, you dry slot, and it likely won't snow for longer than 6-8 hours. It's hard to pump out more than a foot of snow from 6 hours of forcing. Deformation can do it on occasion because the forcing is more focused and ratios tend to be higher.

Archived