Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 2017 Mid-Long Range Disco 2

WxUSAF

57 minutes ago, gopper said:

As a "Post less, Read more" participant of this forum, I want to give my sincere appreciation to those who have the knowledge and the ability to share insight in a manner that is understandable and fruitful to others reading.  As a teacher, I appreciate those who make complicated atmospheric maps and concepts easier to understand.  Posters like @showmethesnow, @Bob Chill, @psuhoffman, @mitchnick@usedtobe and many other red taggers and hobbiest are the reason I find much pleasure in this weird hobby.  The fact that meteorology is an inexact science keeps me intrigued much like an old man playing slots for hours at a time.  So, thank you to all of those people who make this hobby so much fun.  Oh, and a special thank you to Mr. Cold Meiser who is seemingly beating his brother up so far this year in the Mid-Atlantic.

Well said - as a member here and on the forum before this one since 2002, I wholeheartedly share your thoughts.  My relatively few posts belie a voracious consumption of the wisdom shared by the posters mentioned and many more.  The unselfish dedication, lost sleep and eternal patience devoted by not only the posters, but their significant others is testimony to the depth of which our cursed affliction consumes us.  I only hope the signs pointing to some excitement ahead afford us all many opportunities to learn more about how this cursed thing called weather works.  The anticipation for uptick in activity projected 10+ days out is already interrupting my sleep.  Had a dream last night of a triple phased BECS circa New Year's...

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It’s trying very hard for the phase. Regardless though, I’m really thinking we need more confluence over the northeast. That SE ridge is really flexing. 0z GFS was much better than 6 and now 12z in that regard. Would help keep high pressure locked into the north.

The full phase scenario will not be pretty for anyone on the east coast, though could maybe help down the road if it really blows up into a monster storm over eastern Canada. 

57 minutes ago, Ji said:

384 looks promising lol

The christmas deal is trending the wrong way. Warmer/rainier solutions are becoming more common and ensembles are going the wrong way as well. Makes sense unfortunately. The SE ridge (although transient) looks to be real and those kind of features almost always take longer to get rid of than we want. 

The only reason that d10 and under is a bummer if it rains is because of the holiday. Down the line looks really good across the board. Hopefully a legit med range threat is in view if we get stuck on the wrong side of the boundary for Christmas. That will soften the blow somewhat. 

4 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

The christmas deal is trending the wrong way. Warmer/rainier solutions are becoming more common and ensembles are going the wrong way as well. Makes sense unfortunately. The SE ridge (although transient) looks to be real and those kind of features almost always take longer to get rid of than we want. 

The only reason that d10 and under is a bummer if it rains is because of the holiday. Down the line looks really good across the board. Hopefully a legit med range threat is in view if we get stuck on the wrong side of the boundary for Christmas. That will soften the blow somewhat. 

Christmas looked better a week ago. Now looks worse.  After Christmas looks good now..beyond 10 days...no faith it won’t look worse eventually.  SER is stubborn so could be more than days to clear it.  It’s been a chilly December with a little snow..nothing more and nothing yet to remember

Just now, BristowWx said:

Christmas looked better a week ago. Now looks worse.  After Christmas looks good now..beyond 10 days...no faith it won’t look worse eventually.  SER is stubborn so could be more than days to clear it.  It’s been a chilly December with a little snow..nothing more and nothing yet to remember

I've been pretty much expecting it. It's always been a thread the needle and not a typical snow pattern. 

This December has already outperformed over 80% of Decembers on record at the airports so I'm not sure I agree with your last line. May not satisfy the hunger we have but up against history it's been a very good month so far. 

1 minute ago, Cobalt said:

If anything  the SE ridge is setting up for a big cold wave after it recedes

5a3564891953a_gfs_T2ma_us_41(2).thumb.png.607f97cc1d2eb45f930ba6d2049c7164.png

i don't think that's always a lock if the air mass moderates.  hoping this doesn't turn into a GL cutter (or apps runner) winter.  so far it hasn't, but we'll see.  looks like a calm period (which is normal) before the interesting stuff starts again.

7 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Completely dropped the SW ULL idea. For better or for worse...

If this was any other time we would be ridiculed for talking specifics about day 9 but because its Christmas...it feels like we're 48 hours away lol and the mood swings are out of control with  all these dramatic changes 

1 hour ago, Bob Chill said:

what the hell is happening with the board?

Lol board upgrade. 

Euro phased the pre holiday storm into a significant cutter. It's an option. Too slow with the boundary to save Christmas. Don't want to overanalyze d8+ ops but I didn't like the run at all. The only reason we got fantasy slush is because the trailing wave was weak as a kitten. If it amped up just a little we would have been on the wrong side. 

I'm still not seeing any good trends for the boundary getting clear by Christmas day. Hopefully the eps drops a cookie there 

18 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Lol board upgrade. 

Euro phased the pre holiday storm into a significant cutter. It's an option. Too slow with the boundary to save Christmas. Don't want to overanalyze d8+ ops but I didn't like the run at all. The only reason we got fantasy slush is because the trailing wave was weak as a kitten. If it amped up just a little we would have been on the wrong side. 

I'm still not seeing any good trends for the boundary getting clear by Christmas day. Hopefully the eps drops a cookie there 

Wonder if this will be one of those strange cases where the Alamanc scores? (yes, I said it :D). It literally says verbatim for Christmas Day: "storm cuts inland", lol

• WxUSAF unpinned and locked this topic

Archived