Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2017 Mid-Long Range Disco 2

WxUSAF

3 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

That's probably the least likely type of outcome and the gefs does not agree at all. I liked the speed of the front. Faster is definitely better in this setup. Our biggest risk by far imho is rain/warm and not dry/chilly. 0z will prob rain on us. Lol. 

Of course it will now that you said that.  Yes the GEFS looks much less progressive.  Somewhere in the middle might be nice.  

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can tell how split the GEFS is by looking at the snow totals for the individual members

gefs_snow_ens_washdc_65.thumb.png.fe7d5a2889f8a32e11679dba1810c59e.png

8/20 members show 6"+ of snow, while 7/20 show less than 2". Only 5/20 are in between. IMO I would take the control any day. 70 degrees and sun looks basically impossible to reach on Christmas. Most likely is a mix in between 30-40 degrees if precip is falling methinks.

20 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

You can tell how split the GEFS is by looking at the snow totals for the individual members

8/20 members show 6"+ of snow, while 7/20 show less than 2". Only 5/20 are in between. IMO I would take the control any day. 70 degrees and sun looks basically impossible to reach on Christmas. Most likely is a mix in between 30-40 degrees if precip is falling methinks.

E4, E8 or E 18 please

20 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

We'all see my friend if 70 is off the table.  0z could be wonky.  It's Friday.  Me thinks 70 is not happening also.

Just now, Eskimo Joe said:

E1 and E2 are okay.  I'd like a warning criteria event, a la 6 -10" for everyone including Wes that doesn't require me to work.  Any Christmas snow of 5"+ is a 10/10 event in my opinion.

Any Christmas Snow of 2" or more would make a winter. For a regular event not near the 3 days of Christmas to make a winter, it would probably have to be 8" or more IMO

Just now, Cobalt said:

Any Christmas Snow of 2" or more would make a winter. For a regular event not near the 3 days of Christmas to make a winter, it would probably have to be 8" or more IMO

Gotta have the grass disappear and the roads whiten to the point you can't see the lane markers.  Then it's a legit snowfall.

4 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Gotta have the grass disappear and the roads whiten to the point you can't see the lane markers.  Then it's a legit snowfall.

Looking back at the Blizzard of 2016 always gives me a happy feeling. Those storms that last a long duration are amazing. I remember looking at the HRRR through 3am, and it had points West of DC with 1' of snow accumulation, and of course there was still 18 hours of snowfall left. I'm sure we'll experience one of those types of events within 4 years. Events like that where everything initially sticks are perfect. Nothing hurts as much as waiting for snow to make the ground cold enough to support accumulation. Some of our storms bust just because of that

1 minute ago, Cobalt said:

Looking back at the Blizzard of 2016 always gives me a happy feeling. Those storms that last a long duration are amazing. I remember looking at the HRRR through 3am, and it had points West of DC with 1' of snow accumulation, and of course there was still 18 hours of snowfall left. I'm sure we'll experience one of those types of events within 4 years

The 2016 event was a huge disappointment to me on so many levels but we can take that discussion to the banter thread.

2 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

The 2016 event was a huge disappointment to me on so many levels but we can take that discussion to the banter thread.

I'm guessing you mean since the models had astronomically high totals forecast and we got just typical "HECS" totals. I feel ya. If the HRRR was right, MBY would've probably gotten 30" of snow. I measured 25.5" (minus compaction, so probably closer to 27" or maybe 28"), but it's still hard to be disappointed by big storms. Jumping off my deck into a huge snow drift is one of the best memories I've had in recent years. So much snow even your dogs don't know what to do :lol:

32 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

E1 and E2 are okay.  I'd like a warning criteria event, a la 6 -10" for everyone including Wes that doesn't require me to work.  Any Christmas snow of 5"+ is a 10/10 event in my opinion.

you've come a long way from your 30" or bust stuff of the past.

keepin it real....mass bueno.

Nut

and while we wait for the christmas miracle, i've been puttin a few back....but please tell me y'all's screens look wonky like mine does??

if not, no more Kirkland grade hooch.....

(actually its great stuff....tried it for first time).  cant blame it for what I'm seeing.....

Nut

2 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

and while we wait for the christmas miracle, i've been puttin a few back....but please tell me y'all's screens look wonky like mine does??

if not, no more Kirkland grade hooch.....

(actually its great stuff....tried it for first time).  cant blame it for what I'm seeing.....

Nut

New update screwed everything up

6 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

I'm excited about our Christmas chances but it's still wayyyy out there but midweek has my attention . Eps had several members give us frozen. And Gfs just made a big move toward the op euro with the vort track.  ..Euro showed a near miss at 12z 

Gfs was faster again with the important boundary making it trough. This can only help with whatever it is or isn't making a run at us. 

I'll admit the gfs sucked me in a little in the med range. Column is close enough and it was a big shift. Interesting year. Things keep trending colder and better as leads shorten. That happens like never and stuff. 

Would be a memorable ice storm for DC and points South. Of course it won't happen like this, this this thread is basically also the Digital Snow/Sleet/Any wintry weather thread, so here it is 

gfs_frz_rain_washdc_41.thumb.png.3b290dd1fce7590d36d3a35d255c4a19.png

gfs_snow_Ku_acc_washdc_41.thumb.png.b07bb5e6cd815c28df193113c777ae48.png

I imagine this would be a very memorable storm. Sadly, there's still 10 days for this storm to go either way

• WxUSAF unpinned and locked this topic

Archived