Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2017 Mid-Long Range Disco 2

WxUSAF

5 minutes ago, Wentzadelphia said:

You can see the issues on the LR 12z EPS. Hopefully we can cash in on any overrunning event near X-mas. Once we get beyond Day 10 on the EPS you see -PNA and +AO. WOuld probably mean any energy would be dumped into the Southwest, boosting the SE Ridge. We'll see though. If somehow we get a SECS X-Mas eve or day none of us would care. 

Last night's run post day 10 looked great so no reason to fret. Just wait for the 0z.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, mitchnick said:

Last night's run post day 10 looked great so no reason to fret. Just wait for the 0z.

Today's run d10+ looks totally fine. Epo ridge on roids and strong confluence to our N. Lots of precip on the mean panels and cold enough. I thought the run looked really good beyond d10. Not a KU look or anything but very workable for winter wx here. 

8 minutes ago, Wentzadelphia said:

Bob you see that little CAD signature @ 144 hours? Could sneak a light WAA event then. Thoughts? 

I see it but a lot of warmth builds in NA prior to that. CAD is only as good as the source. I suppose it's possible. Things get much better right around Christmas and beyond. 

Only 10-20% chance of high on Christmas to be above 50F

eps_tmax_50_ma_43.thumb.png.ca42b864252f481eae75b07bdd9ccdce.png

While 40-50% chance of 1 inch accumulation for DC (disregard odds East of DC, as they are larger due to today's storm. EPS odds show 0% chance slightly West of DC for today's event to exceed an inch)

eps_snow_1_ma_43.thumb.png.1f7dd875f67686a1c722147fbe488b81.png

Odds of 1" in the next 24 hours just so you know

eps_snow_1_ma_5.thumb.png.075a7e466189f3c87ff1278bc8e14860.png

12 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

And you know some met somewhere is gonna start stirring pot on this in a few days. I sense a fun show of weather politics ahead as well, lol

Weather politics are always entertaining....especially on twitter.  I agree...Weather is an odd science....twitter has made it that way.  Phd's arguing with pimple poppers in their parent's basement is my favorite.  Consider it a cup of cheer for the holidays...

I'll do this with my standard disclaimer that I hate snowfall maps... 

EPS mean on the 23rd

EdLOWvr.jpg

EPS mean on the 30th

vr3eAI0.jpg

Another good sign is the mean high temps have ticked way down run over run for Christmas. 4 runs ago showed mid to upper 40s for highs and today's run showed upper 30's to low 40's. That's a good sign that the important boundary is actually speeding up over time. Still a razor thin setup. I'm mentally preparing myself for rain on the holiday while folks fairly close get snow. Maybe not NMD but PA northward is in a much better spot than my yard. 

EPS with an uptick in qpf and snowfall during the period....

I agree that the look is not bad.  Probably a decent cold wintery period thru the end of the run.  The issue I have is you can see the way the EPS wants to go.  Retro the ridge toward the Aleutians and create a more nina look.  Way out there and very muddied so probably not worth overanalyzing.  

2 minutes ago, WhiteoutWX said:

This type of setup is going to be agonizing for some as the jackpot zone is likely to be vary narrow, with people just a little north cold and dry, and folks a little south in cold rain. Almost guaranteed to start intra-forum civil wars...

I-64 would work for that tine.  

4 minutes ago, WhiteoutWX said:

This type of setup is going to be agonizing for some as the jackpot zone is likely to be vary narrow, with people just a little north cold and dry, and folks a little south in cold rain. Almost guaranteed to start intra-forum civil wars...

Yeah I hate these setups. They hardly ever work for us, and even when they do, snow totals are very underwhelming.

22 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I'll do this with my standard disclaimer that I hate snowfall maps... 

EPS mean on the 23rd

EdLOWvr.jpg

EPS mean on the 30th

vr3eAI0.jpg

Another good sign is the mean high temps have ticked way down run over run for Christmas. 4 runs ago showed mid to upper 40s for highs and today's run showed upper 30's to low 40's. That's a good sign that the important boundary is actually speeding up over time. Still a razor thin setup. I'm mentally preparing myself for rain on the holiday while folks fairly close get snow. Maybe not NMD but PA northward is in a much better spot than my yard. 

Looks good for my Christmas trip to SW PA.

1 minute ago, Wentzadelphia said:

Even though details 5+ days out are never right, you can usually get a good idea based on the pattern whether or not a snow event is possible 5-6-7+ days out. 

Reason I say that is because it is beginning to be clear that we could be tracking a winter storm for x-mas eve/day. You can't beat that. 

Yup. Good signal there. I also like how temps have been trending. Just a few days ago we had the threat for 70 degrees on Christmas. If anything, the warmest we're getting is 50 degrees here near DC, and that's still unlikely. Gonna be a tough week jumping back and forth between favorable and not favorable with the ensembles and the OPs.

Definitely some support for possible frozen  mid week day 5/6 per Eps.  Most have high pressure over top. Maybe we can overperform again . Temps do look more marginal though . 

Cad sig

For @Wentzadelphia

ecmwf-ens_mslpa_us_7.png&key=8b84c266c4cd6a43a4fc17fc855738d216dbef368290d99de1fea91eac389d0c

I count 9 or so members. It's a start. Things have been busting cold and trending in our favor so I'm very keen on tracking every possible chance.

Just going off general memory and not digging through a ton of runs...it sure seems like the long range ridge looks trend flatter as we close in time. Euro definitely has. It threw out some monster ridge runs for next week that all faded. Gfs seems to be doing it too. Getting the boundary through here before Christmas may not be as hard as it seems. Certainly trending towards flatter/faster today and it's no longer in uber long range. 

Eps backed way off the big ridge looks. Gefs has been jumpy so not as easy to see.

Eta: forgot the gfs is running. Lol. Sure enough, flatter faster next week. Not bad. Not bad at all. 

15 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

The op 18z has really morphed into something quite different.  Dry and chilly.  Interesting solutions.  Some less exciting than others.  Overrunning is what I want.  

That's probably the least likely type of outcome and the gefs does not agree at all. I liked the speed of the front. Faster is definitely better in this setup. Our biggest risk by far imho is rain/warm and not dry/chilly. 0z will prob rain on us. Lol. 

• WxUSAF unpinned and locked this topic

Archived