Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2017 Mid-Long Range Disco 2

WxUSAF

22 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Eps throwing conflicting signals. Shows the cold making it faster but backed way off with frozen solutions. I'll look at the members later but the conflict is prob mostly due to the wet solutions being warm and the cold ones dry. Fits the pattern unfortunately. 

Screw precip on Christmas. It just causes cancellations and messes anyway. Give me clear and chilly, please. 40 - 45 degrees as a high would be fine.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Imho, the odds of us seeing snow that's worth anything,  ain't coming with wave/storm 1. Wave/storm 2 is our only shot. That's still an unknown, but I can't say I can remember anything with this setup working in the past. In light of how things have gone so far, however,  I'm far from throwing in the towel. 

47 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Off the top of my head, 93-94, 13-14, and 14-15. They all had similar -epo/+nao periods. 

Thanks!  I am certainly not the best at this but the closest I can find is the first two weeks of Feb '94.  Only difference and possibly a significant one is unlike '94 all of the cold air in the NH is located in NA this period.  

compday.EaQnvsqe4H.gif.a7d7d2425268445c8c14af85a3a88711.gif

Temps

compday.0ljcshH8Oe.gif.80880ade455df8e2a9f452ca5f3b25b2.gif

Pretty close @poolz1

It's a good cold pattern but not a great snow pattern. 13-14/14-15 skew reality. Not saying the -epo/+nao can't produce because it definitely can. Comes with higher risks of west tracks, mixed events, or just plain rain. But walk the right (or should i say left.lol) side of the line and it can be prolific. 

Chasing a perfect pattern can be pretty futile though. They only come around so often and even when they do it doesn't guaranty anything. If we're going to get dealt the -epo/+nao card again it's totally fine in my book. Far from a shutout pattern and we might get a foot of ice. 

12 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Gfs joins the euro cuttertastic solution. Bring it. Big cutters that flip to cold can be a harbinger of a good period. Eastern ski areas aren't enthused by the latest trends but nothing we can do about it. I'm getting close to dropping the white Christmas hopes. Prob for the best.

Definitely. Warm Christmas is a good thing.  Ji would agree I think. Where is the emoji with the ax in his head.  He likes it too.  

2 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

Bastardi and DT seem insistent on cold for Christmas and heading through the New Year.

They might be right but they are picking the lower odds side of the guess. I mean I hope they're right but we've seen many se ridges pop during winter (especially cold enso) and they never go down easy. The one in the mid range is pretty stout too. It'll get knocked out buy unlikely it happens during round 1. 

23 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Pretty close @poolz1

It's a good cold pattern but not a great snow pattern. 13-14/14-15 skew reality. Not saying the -epo/+nao can't produce because it definitely can. Comes with higher risks of west tracks, mixed events, or just plain rain. But walk the right (or should i say left.lol) side of the line and it can be prolific. 

Chasing a perfect pattern can be pretty futile though. They only come around so often and even when they do it doesn't guaranty anything. If we're going to get dealt the -epo/+nao card again it's totally fine in my book. Far from a shutout pattern and we might get a foot of ice. 

Yea...looked at snowfall for DCA and it wasn't very inspiring for that period in 94.  When were all of those ice storms in 94?  I clearly remember it being a prolific period for ice... 

ets:  This new forum sucks...I have no idea why my previous images are in my latest post.  Tried to edit and delete but doesnt work

eps_z500a_nh_61.png

compday.EaQnvsqe4H.gif

compday.0ljcshH8Oe.gif

Consensus beyond d5 on ops is pretty rare. D8+ I would expect nothing different. The one important piece that both the euro and gfs now agree on is a cutter. We'll see if that holds. My guess is it does.

The gfs went nuts with the SE ridge and even a cutter barely moved it. It took a second west track storm to finally push the ridge out of the way. Right or wrong it's believable and not weird or crazy. 

23 minutes ago, poolz1 said:

He is sticking to his gut...which is filled with EPS

Eps is on its own now. Geps/gefs have trended towards the ridge winning the christmas day battle. 18z gefs upped the ante. I'd be more than a little surprised if the eps holds overnight. 

I'm a little surprised DT is so bullish on the ridge caving. That goes against a lot of history. The nao is positive and we're in cold enso. Add in energy digging into the SW and a se ridge is supposed to happen. Models have rushed breaking down the ridge countless times in the past. 

9 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Eps is on its own now. Geps/gefs have trended towards the ridge winning the christmas day battle. 18z gefs upped the ante. I'd be more than a little surprised if the eps holds overnight. 

I'm a little surprised DT is so bullish on the ridge caving. That goes against a lot of history. The nao is positive and we're in cold enso. Add in energy digging into the SW and a se ridge is supposed to happen. Models have rushed breaking down the ridge countless times in the past. 

Soi is really tanking and proged to stay negative for a bit. That may tend to dampen the Nina effects. 

• WxUSAF unpinned and locked this topic

Archived