Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 2017 Mid-Long Range Disco 2

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

Euro show SE ridge holding until 27th. I think this is far fetched (just a little), since no ensembles or Ops have shown this at all for the past 24 hours. All of them show cold overtaking the ridge by the 26th

ecmwf_t2m_anom_ma_39.thumb.png.c6d2c4fe77317cb2358a5f9899301153.png

I agree that euro op seems extreme but looking at the big picture, all guidance is slowing it down right now. And the process that's causing it gets going by d4-5. That's not that far out in time. That needs to change before I'll buy anything that starts speeding things up again. 

You're fairly new at this game but good advice is to never underestimate the SE ridge/+nao combo. As soon as it started showing up I warned that I was worried it would be a pain in the rear. That wasn't a guess as much as much as relying on basically staring at weather models for 11 years. I've seen this show many times before. The ending is usually the same. Not always of course but the odds play is to hedge on it holding longer than first expected. 

1 minute ago, Cobalt said:

Honestly, what the GFS shows is kind of tolerable. 40s isn't the end of the world. The Euro on the other hand...

gfs_T2m_neus_34.thumb.png.e002a2eb29aeaa591bc4d71842e75fa7.png

ecmwf_t2max_maryland_35.thumb.png.49240064edcad5c19893028c84e7dffa.png

I would kill for 40s.  No way it's 40s.  I agree with Bob.  And it's the Euro.  SER and +NAO is a deadly combo.  I too have been model watching for a long time.  Not as smart as the others but I do know ugly patterns and bright red colors.  We have both on all op runs in the med range.  

5 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

It’s just in a bad spot and no help from the NA...now it’s just a matter of determining how warm and how long.  

GFS makes a little more sense, it stretches the SE ridge and allows some of the cold being generated by the block to mix in and neutralize it.  ECMWF on the other hand lets the ridge completely dominate the vortex, and little mixing to allow the cold to neutralize the warmth.

4 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Eps not breaking down the cold conus pattern through the end of the run so a small victory today. Not a great nor bad upper level look. Just gotta hope it doesn't morph into the SE ridge returning. 

Does the cold make it here before 27 Dec?

• WxUSAF unpinned and locked this topic

Archived