Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
December 2017 Mid-Long Range Disco 2

WxUSAF

13 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Eps is on its own now. Geps/gefs have trended towards the ridge winning the christmas day battle. 18z gefs upped the ante. I'd be more than a little surprised if the eps holds overnight. 

I'm a little surprised DT is so bullish on the ridge caving. That goes against a lot of history. The nao is positive and we're in cold enso. Add in energy digging into the SW and a se ridge is supposed to happen. Models have rushed breaking down the ridge countless times in the past. 

I stopped following DT a few years ago.  He's a pretty good forecaster but has the disposition of a porcupine on steroids...I cant take it tbh.

EPS is on it's own...not as bad as the gefs being on their own which seem to bounce with every run.  I'm still in wait and see mode.  

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Interstate said:

I would take 80 degrees on Christmas if it means we get 60 inches of snow total

Our biggest winters are typically warmer winters/have bigger warmups. If I remember correctly, 2009/2010 had a warmup during Christmas that melted all of our snowpack with rain on Christmas. It then proceeded to warmup mid-January. Our most boring winters are either downright cold, or downright warm, because typically in these parts, warm = more precipitation, cold = dry. Our best winters happen when we manage to get long enough cold periods to allow for big snow events. Times such as Late January to Mid March such as 13-14 or 14-15. Warm in winter happens, you've just gotta cash in on snow when it's cold (like so far this year)

14 minutes ago, AfewUniversesBelowNormal said:

18z GFS, it's a clear cut pattern on LR models now. You don't see this one trend colder, and it's the most consistent of all looks. I'm talking about lots of visual aesthetic. December ends well above average.  

It all depends on the few days leading up to and after Christmas. Pretty sure DC is running slightly below average for the month. We're gonna be above average for 8 days, and closer to average for 2 of them if the GFS is correct, and then we have 5 days of below normal. If the GFS is correct, DCA will probably 1-2 degrees above average. If the Euro is correct, we will be near-below average

I think it's just pushed back, to Jan 1-20. The Stratospheric warming happening at 10mb, expected to continue through late December correlates to -NAO in 2nd and 3rd week of January on a ridiculously high ratio, 0.85 or something. More than 50% of many analogs had mean ridge of >+200dm over Greenland. 

1 minute ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Geez, really close to a MECS but too close at 8 days is probably a miss in verification. Much better run and the uncertainties and run to run wild swings continue for the 25th.

It’s a monster hit for the mountains...like you said 5H looks better...I’m sure we will be teased by atleast a few runs...I have doubts for cold getting in before precip though :) 

1 minute ago, Cobalt said:

I mean, I'd upload the image of the storm for everyone to see, but my max total file size is 0.03MB. All we would need is a nudge 50-100 miles East for it to be a MECS. Of course with the way these runs are wafering, you'd never know

You're right. What a difference 6 hours make from 18z to 0z.

• WxUSAF unpinned and locked this topic

Archived