Newest Member
    joxey
December Banter String

George BM

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, nw baltimore wx said:

That pretty much describes just about every NFL stadium I've ever been to.

Yeah I don’t mind the occasional idiot, but that’s Cardinals game was the biggest sh*tshow if guys who too much to drink. My son, who is 7,  was wearing a Fitzgerald jersey and got told some pretty terrible things. 

2 minutes ago, Thanatos_I_Am said:

Yeah I don’t mind the occasional idiot, but that’s Cardinals game was the biggest sh*tshow if guys who too much to drink. My son, who is 7,  was wearing a Fitzgerald jersey and got told some pretty terrible things. 

Just my opinion, but having been to hundreds of professional sporting events, nfl fans can be the worst and ruin the event.  Certainly part of it is that I've changed, but a lot of it is that the nfl has changed.  Either way, I don't enjoy the environment like I did 20 years ago.

Sorry for your kid's experience.

2 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Just my opinion, but having been to hundreds of professional sporting events, nfl fans can be the worst and ruin the event.  Certainly part of it is that I've changed, but a lot of it is that the nfl has changed.  Either way, I don't enjoy the environment like I did 20 years ago.

Hah. He loved the attention. But yeah, I agree. I prefer to just watch on TV now.

2 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Yeah, I stopped going to NFL games and stick with NHL/MLB games instead.  I find nfl fans to be pretty vulgar and nasty way more so than other sports.  It ruins the game and experience.

1 minute ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Whole different beast from what I remember during the 70's, early 80's at memorial stadium. Not saying people didn't have fun and drink too much. just that they behaved completely differently with good natured bantering back and forth between opposing fans. Now-a-days it is more likely to result in a fight or knifing if not worse. No better then what you see going on with Soccer and world cup games.

2 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Whole different beast from what I remember during the 70's, early 80's at memorial stadium. Not saying people didn't have fun and drink too much. just that they behaved completely differently with good natured bantering back and forth between opposing fans. Now-a-days it is more likely to result in a fight or knifing if not worse. No better then what you see going on with Soccer and world cup games.

Or what goes on in here when Philly gets snow and we don't.

15 minutes ago, Thanatos_I_Am said:

Question: ‘Skins fans, was it just because of the cheap tickets, or are there normally a bunch of drunk a**holes at FedEx Field?

Been to one NFL game in my 56 years...  Was at FedEx a few years ago.  Decent seats, and they were free, otherwise would not have gone.  The foul mouthed drunken morons in the stands basically made it nearly impossible to enjoy football.  I let a few F-bombs fly sometimes and enjoy some Dinkelacker with friends.  But the constant F this and that was too much.  Was by far the most heard word of the day.  It was as if the preponderance of them were there to be seen by others out of some insecure effort to relive their high school jock days. 

Saw some families scattered here and there trying to enjoy a family event and couldn't help wonder what their children were thinking about how the "adults" were behaving.  Based on that one experience, I'll remain inclined to sit at home, use the pause and FF features of FIOS and try to catch a glimpse of football instead of all the nonsensical brouhaha that the NFL has turned into.  Factoring in all the kneeling nonsense by millionaires being too self-centered for their own egos and the NFL has almost become almost too much to watch.  Bring back John Madden, Frank Gifford and Howard Cosell....

11 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

It's been said enough, but I like the snow maps as long as they come with an attempt at some analysis, rather then just dumping them to increase your post load/forum credibility. I certainly used to do that, I try and limit myself now.

I agree.  I get the whole idea of "It's more fun to look at qpf maps and click on soundings and check out 850s and look for warm noses and put it all together yourself" but sometimes it's nice to have the computer do that for you.  Even if they're not perfectly accurate, the good snow maps are probably better than what I could do.  And near game time, I think they're what a lot of people want to see, even if they're not for everyone.  But I also understand the concern about clogging up a thread, especially at such long range.  There I don't think the problem is as much with snow maps themselves - it's with overanalyzing 10-day op runs, regardless of the map used.  It's like discussing each member of an ensemble individually.  (OK, not quite that bad, but sometimes it feels that way.)

I also get the excitement when some op run puts up 60"+ 10-day totals nearby.  It gives a sense of the potential of the current pattern.  I think the digital snow thread is a good compromise that keeps the main thread readable while also giving people as way to enjoy the occasional digital fantasy storm.  Reading through the main thread this morning kind of made me want to see what maps had been deleted.  I'm glad the digital snow thread was there for that.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived