SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Model Mayhem VII

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well a west NOGAPS is a good sign.  I saw the shape of the trough on the Euro...and it looked really sharp, but then the low developed out and went NE.  I think Will said it was because of leftover energy from yesterday.  What would it take to slow it down and bring it west?  Could yesterdays storm act as a bit of a block?  I've been thinking this would trend to a good hit, because that is what is showed a few days ago, and if these things don't disappear they often trend back to the good solution.  I bet on a few more w and maybe nw tics.  Could be decent for many including here in Dovah.

BTW I will post in the banter thread about this, but there are some great looking job openings in Dover at a company called Weather Analytics.  Looks like hardcore forecasting and computer skills but also some program manager type jobs.

9 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I agree with you on the mid level evolution (500 H) in principle.

I'm a little skeptical about the lower baroclinic tapestry for that weekend thing. 

To schools with that: 

-- The diabatic tsunamis has kicked in; March is a big differential month for that.  We can get away with a fetid polar air mass much easier on March 1 than we can the same air mass being assaulted by daily hemispheric insolation uptake at the end of the month.  That's true in February and April, too...but, March has the greatest difference from D1 to 31... Anyway, obviously you know this but my point is, I could see a light/moderate varying intensity fall rates we end up with light rain and parachutes do to decent mid level power spinning over top a diffused lower level baroclinicity...   It's one reason why early April 500 mb evolutions can look so delicious but then you look at the attending surface charts and you only have vague closures and ho-hum drabby weather. It's a timing game... where the cold needs to be fresh. It "looks" like we may not have that for this next ordeal.

-- This system is also not benefiting from a southern stream moisture advection.  If the baroclinic gradients end up week... lacking moisture limit things.  Again ... favors chilly rain and 'chutes, .. elevations may do better though -

Interesting

When you think about baroclinic instability for cyclogenesis:

1) What atmospheric level of thermal gradient is most important?

2) Do you look at steepness of temperature differential (like ∆T over distance), or is there a better way to think about it?

3) Is there a particular temperature point in the gradient that is most relevant for cyclogenesis, or is it simply the part of the temperature gradient that is steepest?

Sorry to barrage with questions... and there might not be easy answers to any of these... feel free to ignore or PM. I did some reading online but it's lots of non-intuitive math equations that are not practically useful when I look at a map.

I also don't want to elevate this to a new critical variable we must analyze with every storm... it's probably built-in to guidance so why should we independently think about it... but since it was raised it made me curious.

29 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

I'd like to see the trough axis further W if we are to something more substantial.

That can only happen with earlier digging and it doesn't have to be much.  I think this system is viable given the calendar and a better chance of a closer in baroclinic zone potentially.

The kicker out in the PAC NW, between hrs 72 and 96, is what I don't like about this. It acts to shunt the PNA ridge right as our sw is diving in from the lakes. You can clearly see the affect in how the Ridge axis becomes tilted, which acts to press the whole longwave pattern east, and this seems to be trending increasingly stronger over the past several runs. If it wasn't for this feature, I think we'd be seeing a far more robust system on guidance already. I'll be keying in on the PAC NW going forward; I need to see that trend reverse before I become excited about this. 

Archived