Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 13/14th Storm Thread (Storm Mode)

psuhoffman

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Surprising looking snow map for the I-95 and DC areas.  I would have expected much less looking at the precip type and thermals, it looked like nearly all rain through sometime after 03Z, then the DC metro looks on the border of heavy snow/rain around 06Z, then the precip blows by and is gone shortly thereafter (by 09Z).  Must drop all that in literally a 3 hour period or so, if that map is even close to realistic.  2-m temperatures are just above freezing through about 06Z, though they're crashing by that point it appears.  850 temperatures mirror that, crashing below 0C around 06Z after the zero line is well north and west of DC metro before then.

2 critical points:

1)    that's snow + sleet

2)    if the NAM has 1" of liquid, and it's 50% rain and 50% mangled snowflakes, the tally comes up with .5" liquid equiv of snow.   Slap on a 10:1 ratio, and you get a 5" prediction even though the model doesn't really show that at all.

Just now, high risk said:

2 critical points:

1)    that's snow + sleet

2)    if the NAM has 1" of liquid, and it's 50% rain and 50% mangled snowflakes, the tally comes up with .5" liquid equiv of snow.   Slap on a 10:1 ratio, and you get a 5" prediction even though the model doesn't really show that at all.

Thanks...I kind of thought that might be the case (at least the counting sleet part; didn't realize it considered just 50% snow as "all snow" for those accumulation plots).  It did look unrealistic compared to what the other parameters were indicating...and like I said, if (big if!) that were even all snow around 06Z, the amounts shown in the snow map would literally have to fall in about a 3 hour period!

Just now, EastCoast NPZ said:

Not saying you're wrong, obviously; however, that snow-angle is equivalent to late January.

Exactly.  Started to post the same thing.  Sure, snow at night and all that, but as the sun comes up it's a different story.  Need that overnight precipitation to do its work.

1 minute ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

The para NAM which was dry as a bone here earlier is now very wet.

At a glance it appears an earlier storm formation as the whole precipitation panel seems to have shifted south.

All I cared about on the nam was how wet...that's why I asked EJ

1 minute ago, DCAlexandria said:

Feels a lot like sequester repeat. Set your expectations guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a completely different set up.  That was a bowling ball/ vigorous upper level low that was supposed to produce its own cold air... and It did a good job of it in the favored elevation areas.  This is a coastal low that is developing just to our south east.  This is a thread the needle type event.  Sequester relied on dynamics and it just wasnt enough for the cities.  

The 12z Euro snow map is out on windytv.  I'm not sure what algorithm they use to determin the p-type, but it's based on 10:1 ratios.  You can see where they think the rain/snow line will set up. 

Edit:  They say it's the 12z map, but it looks like it could be the 00z map to me.  So take with a grain of salt.

bmV99Kp.png

The colors can be hard to read, but you can point-and-click for your backyard here.

https://www.windytv.com/?snowAccu,next6d,39.271,-77.031,8,m:eJYad0L

2 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

That looks quite reasonable to me.  Maybe high in DC, because DC, but otherwise pretty good. 

Completely agree.

I think it would be reasonable to forecast anything between 4-14" in Fairfax for this thing. There's a realistic chance for a big, hard-hitting event, but just as much for a wet failure.

this could be huge

Evidence of wave formation in western Gulf of Mexico, approximately 100 nm ssw of Galveston. Radar and satellite show development and oil rig in warm sector has seen 50m winds of 35G45 veering rapidly SSE to SW past hour. This seems more developed than models would suggest. Possible seeding of actual energy center more similar to 1993 storm, as this seems headed for FL panhandle in 36h. This in connection to the odd appearance of upper low and warmth-devoid inland low in a rather odd configuration suggest possibility of more dynamic trough developments next 24-36h. I'm thinking this Gulf of Mexico low may capture the Ohio valley low around 36h and form a powerful coastal with a hangback to shadow of upper low, and that the upper low may deepen slightly more and further south than the NAM's most recent effort. 

4 minutes ago, Roger Smith said:

this could be huge

Evidence of wave formation in western Gulf of Mexico, approximately 100 nm ssw of Galveston. Radar and satellite show development and oil rig in warm sector has seen 50m winds of 35G45 veering rapidly SSE to SW past hour. This seems more developed than models would suggest. Possible seeding of actual energy center more similar to 1993 storm, as this seems headed for FL panhandle in 36h. This in connection to the odd appearance of upper low and warmth-devoid inland low in a rather odd configuration suggest possibility of more dynamic trough developments next 24-36h. I'm thinking this Gulf of Mexico low may capture the Ohio valley low around 36h and form a powerful coastal with a hangback to shadow of upper low, and that the upper low may deepen slightly more and further south than the NAM's most recent effort. 

I'm not quite sure what this means for us but I think I like it

35 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Tell ya what pal, call those pros over at WPC and tell them you disagree.

Here is their mapIMG_8684.GIF.b03a356912633542b2a6be9912b78790.GIF

Guys, we tend to follow the same practice with these probs as NHC does with their track forecast -- instead of wild swings W to E or vice-versa from one forecast cycle to the next, you're more likely to see gradual shifts. What if the EC is an anomaly?  I mean, it is east of most EC members and east of the EC mean.  

In situations like these, it's best to not swing from one end of the goalpost to the other..

Archived