Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 13/14th Storm Thread (Storm Mode)

psuhoffman

42 minutes ago, Deck Pic said:

Everyone wants the setup that maximizes the potential in their backyard.  And this storm is no different.  Ideally we'd like to see everyone happy. I like everyone here, and it would be cool if we all got smoked.  But just like most of us, I am laser-focused on my backyard.  

Your right I'm not hating. But I feel like there is a narrative with some that the cities need a less amped east solution. I'm not buying that. I do think there is a path to everyone winning with the solutions from yesterday.  But if it's weaker then it's a smaller win zone and someone is gonna lose. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, BTRWx said:

That qpf doesn't look all that much higher being west of the op...

I'm not complaining, just an obs

Don't pay attention to the smoothed out QPF.  Look at the orientation.  Philly gets twice as much QPF as the OP.  As much as we would all like Philly to get screwed, we want to see a plume of moisture being pushed up into Lancaster/York/Reading...The tilt and progression on the OP was a bit scary

1 hour ago, Bob Chill said:

Very subtle shift @ h5 and evolution would push the precip shield west no problem. It's very compact as is and now the eastern outlier. Seems like breathing room moreso than a disaster. If this was 12z tomorrow I would feel different but all of us are very much in the game for a good storm. 

1 hour ago, Ian said:

I think overall there still hasn't been a proper appreciation of the fragility in these kinds of setups. The 12z Euro is certainly a step backward but the run is nearly identical to 0z in evolution. Lead wave is a bit weaker.. ULL is slightly east. With 48+ still to go you could have trends like that run to run cause huge problems in the expectations game through now. 

I agree.  Even as the big picture comes into focus, there's still a good amount of uncertainty as to how this plays out on the surface.  We can see that in the spread in the ops, even in run-to-run variations in the Euro at fairly close range.  It's been said before in this thread, but the ensembles are probably going to be unusually useful at close range for this event.  At close range they will often just show what the ops are showing, but if there's a difference between the ops and the ensemble means then the ensembles shouldn't be ignored, even if it's close to game time.

Unfortunately we mostly have to rely on the global ensembles (and the "ensemble of globals"), as the SREFs aren't very useful and the RGEM ensemble is an elusive and mysterious beast.  But at least now we're getting into range when there are some sightings.

CMRQgi3.png

4 minutes ago, Deck Pic said:

hTz2ZOL.png

So we're trading just about one shade of blue for a much better surface.  I'm ok with that.   This is shaping up to be a solid 3-6 or 4-8 event for DC with potential upside beyond that still.  Very nice day of runs.  I was worried by this time of the day we'd be looking at 2 inches of snow to heavy rain to dry slot.  

Looking at the members, it looks ok but a notable step back from 0z in QPF. Track seems fairly tight and the op is the eastern outlier of the ens run. The biggest notable shift is the SW extent. Big drop there in both qpf and snowfall. This is an indication of both a weaker storm and a slower development. But it's to be expected @ 72 hours leads because the ens aren't going to have large numbers with large deviations. 

The euro suite in general made a decisive move away from the big QPF bomb idea. Which isn't fun but isn't shocking either. It is what it is. 

5 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

So we're trading just about one shade of blue for a much better surface.  I'm ok with that.   This is shaping up to be a solid 3-6 or 4-8 event for DC with potential upside beyond that still.  Very nice day of runs.  I was worried by this time of the day we'd be looking at 2 inches of snow to heavy rain to dry slot.  

Here is the Euro OP from last night (Top) and Today (Bottom) at 8 am Tuesday Morning.  I realize this might not benefit everyone in the forum, but yes..I am pleased with the east/colder/drier trend.  For now :)

ikk1eE4.png

l1MZz2P.png

The placement of low pressure at 12z Tuesday is almost identical on the three major models.  Just off the Delmarva Coast.  We have near perfect agreement at 72 hours out.  And that track is basically benchmark for big snows around here.   The inland GFS solutions seemed to have given way to the Euro and CMC track. The problem that I am seeing however is that we are not seeing the firehose of moisture coming up from our south like we saw in the previous GFS runs. So we trade off... little drier.. better surface.  I will take it.  But it has to hold now.  Any dryer.. any further OTS and we are toast.  The GFS para is straight up doomsday.  We gotta come together in solidarity and keep this thing right where it is... then let it trend wetter as we close in on game time.  

Just now, schinz said:

It's only "fake" after the storm is over and doesn't verify...until then it is their forecast...to which we can agree or disagree with.  However, I always find it amusing that some seem to "know" someone else's forecast is wrong.  Do you have a forecast map out I can compare theirs with?

Qpf doesn't come close to 2" and it's March.  Those numbers have less than 1% chance to verify.

3 minutes ago, RidingTheModelWithMostSnow said:

We need to stop saying it is March... If it comes in over night... Who cares if it is Jan, Feb, or March

That matters any month.  It's tough to get any big storms accumulate solely overnight.  One notable exception was January 2011 when snow fell for less than 6 hours with consistent high rates from start to finish after the changeover.

1 minute ago, BTRWx said:

I wouldn't say impossible just yet.  A small shift in a booming low could come close, but it's definitely a wide extreme anomaly.

I'm curious if the long-time pros agree with me? 

2 minutes ago, BTRWx said:

I wouldn't say impossible just yet.  A small shift in a booming low could come close, but it's definitely a wide extreme anomaly.

Certainly not impossible, but 3 days out and given the current modeling and trends, that's highly irresponsible. And I'm admittedly an amateur who roots for snow and probably lets it affect my objectivity at times.

I think that is my whole point...we are still many model runs away from from show time.  A lot can change.  It's a little early to be calling people wrong.  And, BTW, I have lived in Westminster for 40 years and have been around these board long enough to know that the wind changes, so to speak, with the whim of every model run.  Very little forecasting done here.  There is a lot of good analysis though.

Archived