Newest Member
    joxey
March med-long range disco thread 2

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Maybe I'm a glass half full guy, but the Euro just did a complete 180 with its evolution vs 0z (trending way better in that department).  Yes, its current depiction is generally a heartbreak for us as we need a more southern transfer but it was a nice step in the right direction.

Exactly. Look, if it was Saturday or Sunday, I would get the frustration and want to start kicking babies and dogs, too. It's Wednesday afternoon. Look at what just happened with this last storm. It started as a big storm in PA and is now nowhere to be seen.

6 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

It's still obviously way early to get fired up about this storm, but I'm surprised how upset people are. This run of the Euro is a HUGE improvement and big snows are literally just up 95. A slightly earlier transfer/slightly stronger storm and we are in the big snows. As it is, even Baltimore is close to double digits on this run. I'm not really understanding why people are upset. If the Euro jumps as much with the next run as it did this run, we would get pummeled.

The problem is, there is way too much "luck" involved here. Anything close has NOT worked out here this year. And as somebody else just said, this is almost the same as December 2010--which was also a La Niña, btw. That's why folks are upset, lol This has screwjob written all over it!

14 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

As I said earlier, it's not the verbatim output. It's the evolution. Central WV to OBX/VA Beach transfers have a long and storied history here. Verbatim it's a solution loaded with heartbreak. Time to root for a Memphis to Myrtle transfer. 

Isn't this about when things kept trending south for Sunday?  Just saying. I'm VERY aware of the downside here but if the recent trends hold its movingbthe right way. Get another 150 miles south and we're ok.  I say 150 so we're safe when the inevitable 50 mile north shift at the last minute happens. Of we're sitting on the edge like this 48 hours out we're in trouble. But I kind of expect some more trending in our favor before then. Hopefully enough to survive a late adjustment. 

1 minute ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Amen to that!  Yeah, I was up in Philly visiting my parents for Christmas that year, and came home a bit early, knowing they'd get hit (didn't care to drive in that!).  They got about a foot in Philly I recall, and northeast MD got maybe a couple inches I think.

I actually ended up with 5, but it was only because I somehow stayed in the light to moderate snow bands for many hours on the southwestern edge, while places literally a few miles east were getting heavy snow. It was the most pathetic 5" storm ever.

16 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

It's still obviously way early to get fired up about this storm, but I'm surprised how upset people are. This run of the Euro is a HUGE improvement and big snows are literally just up 95. A slightly earlier transfer/slightly stronger storm and we are in the big snows. As it is, even Baltimore is close to double digits on this run. I'm not really understanding why people are upset. If the Euro jumps as much with the next run as it did this run, we would get pummeled.

I understand the skepticism but I'm with you on this. 

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

Isn't this about when things kept trending south for Sunday?  Just saying. I'm VERY aware of the downside here but if the recent trends hold its movingbthe right way. Get another 150 miles south and we're ok.  I say 150 so we're safe when the inevitable 50 mile north shift at the last minute happens. Of we're sitting on the edge like this 48 hours out we're in trouble. But I kind of expect some more trending in our favor before then. Hopefully enough to survive a late adjustment. 

The eastern trough is steadily getting deeper. Look at the z500 48hr forecast trend on TT for the GFS next week. Look at my gif of the Sunday storm up thread. Hell, given the trend, we should still worry about suppression and this wave getting squashed to hell.

im ups

Just now, WinterWxLuvr said:

I don't think people are upset.  This is just how some of us have fun.

I'm sure my feelings have nothing to do with what ends up happening.

im upset. i havent seen snow this winter

Hasn't there been a trend with systems for the trough to sharpen ever so slightly with each run for some of the storms this year? I seem to remember watching a lot of Bernie's videos and just following each model run and seeing a slight sharper trough. It wasn't huge changes, but we don't need huge changes if the current Euro/GFS is a legit solution. Just small tweaks here and there.

19 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Let's play the odds card. How many miller B's have produced and how many have left us wanting to walk the streets to find small animals to kick?

I don't have exact #'s but I'm pretty sure it's at least 3/1 in the fail to acceptable ratio. Maybe 4-5/1. They all start the same way. Models have this good solutions in the med ranges with some monster solutions in the mix. We all buy into the monster. Then accept just a "good" solution. Then start talking like "as long as I get 3" I'll consider this a win". Then as we sit looking outside the window as snow spits and radar dries up before the transfer we're like "wait till the coastal takes over!!!". Then it does but the returns never press westward. Then the sinking feeling sets in. Then despair as some jackass from philly jumps in and says "Rakage! Thundersnow! 3"/hr!". 

I remember expecting no more than 2-3" from a Miller B in early Jan 2014 and then getting 5-7". Also there was Feb 10, 2010. Of course the fails that stand out to me are Dec 2000 and Jan 2005 (even though the latter had 6" IMBY, but I wanted 12"+ so I was disappointed and jealous of 40N). IIRC, Dec 2010 was actually a Miller A, but it seemed to have all of the traits of the very worst Miller Bs that we all dread.

Someone should come up with a list of recent Miller Bs and then tally up what percentage of them are fails. 

20 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Let's play the odds card. How many miller B's have produced and how many have left us wanting to walk the streets to find small animals to kick?

I don't have exact #'s but I'm pretty sure it's at least 3/1 in the fail to acceptable ratio. Maybe 4-5/1. They all start the same way. Models have this good solutions in the med ranges with some monster solutions in the mix. We all buy into the monster. Then accept just a "good" solution. Then start talking like "as long as I get 3" I'll consider this a win". Then as we sit looking outside the window as snow spits and radar dries up before the transfer we're like "wait till the coastal takes over!!!". Then it does but the returns never press westward. Then the sinking feeling sets in. Then despair as some jackass from philly jumps in and says "Rakage! Thundersnow! 3"/hr!". 

Miller bs are not our best bet. But I think we're too negative on them in general. Especially for the Maryland half of this forum. There are some classic examples of absolute screw jobs like dec 2000 where we get nothing and NYC is crushed. But that is pretty rare. 

First dec 2010 was a miller a. Yes I know it involved some energy coming in late to pull it back into New England but the low was a miller a that simply missed us to the east then as it amplified and phases turned due north to save philly east. But that doesn't make it a miller b so throw that nonsense out. 

Then there is the philly thing. There aren't many miller b storms I can think of that crushed philly and left nothing here. Dec 2000 was about 8" there so that's one. But most that give Philly 8"+ are at least respectable here. Jan 2005 wasn't some epic fail. Philly got 10". Out area got 3-8" sw to ne. How is that some epic fail???  I guess if we obsess over bostons 20" but they are in another climo universe. 

Most of the miller bs I can think of that really crushed philly northeast we got snow. A few we got slammed. Feb 9 2010...  

honestly miller b storms that cut off just in time to crush Philly and NYC and miss here are pretty rare.   It's way more common for Boston and NYC southwest misses. But why are we worried about Boston. 

Now that said the bad it miller b storms do tend to have a nasty cutoff across our forum. They are region dividers. Those southwest of DC have way more reason to be worried then those northeast. That's just reality. Even some of the big ones like feb 78 and feb 2010 managed to rapidly diminish southwest of DC. But some of the people piling on the miller b hate train are in Maryland and it seems overly exaggerated to me. 

17 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

The eastern trough is steadily getting deeper. Look at the z500 48hr forecast trend on TT for the GFS next week. Look at my gif of the Sunday storm up thread. Hell, given the trend, we should still worry about suppression and this wave getting squashed to hell.

That was exactly what I was seeing. If that trend continues developing too far north might not be a problem we're worried about much longer. I see their concern though. 

17 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

The deepening eastern trough you mentioned...Any analogs of what that looked like in previous Miller B failures (or sucesses)?

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived