Newest Member
    joxey
March med-long range disco thread 2

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Yeah, was gonna mention...it's not the best, but it's not bad either, especially sitting at this time frame.   We need this thing to dig for oil

now its to cheer for a southern trend....of course....when we need a southern trend....never mind

Just now, Bob Chill said:

There's really no comparison. 0z was NS only and a cut up through the interior of the NE. There is no transfer. So this run was a wholesale change for sure. 

Ah, OK...thanks.  I sort of wondered that from reading the description a bit earlier, it sounded like it was a different evolution.  Again...not the best as shown here, but if the phasing can occur earlier and get the primary to dig more southward, we'd be a lot better.

3 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

lol

I was literally just about to post this. And the snow map looks eerily similar.

The snow map is quite similar (in terms of coverage, at least?), though there was much less than this even shows around here in Dec. 2010.  I got literally a dusting, the most exciting thing was the raw cold and gusty winds!

1 minute ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

LOL, this is what all the hubub is about?

As I said earlier, it's not the verbatim output. It's the evolution. Central WV to OBX/VA Beach transfers have a long and storied history here. Verbatim it's a solution loaded with heartbreak. Time to root for a Memphis to Myrtle transfer. 

It's still obviously way early to get fired up about this storm, but I'm surprised how upset people are. This run of the Euro is a HUGE improvement and big snows are literally just up 95. A slightly earlier transfer/slightly stronger storm and we are in the big snows. As it is, even Baltimore is close to double digits on this run. I'm not really understanding why people are upset. If the Euro jumps as much with the next run as it did this run, we would get pummeled.

1 minute ago, osfan24 said:

It's still obviously way early to get fired up about this storm, but I'm surprised how upset people are. This run of the Euro is a HUGE improvement and big snows are literally just up 95. A slightly earlier transfer/slightly stronger storm and we are in the big snows. As it is, even Baltimore is close to double digits on this run. I'm not really understanding why people are upset. If the Euro jumps as much with the next run as it did this run, we would get pummeled.

These storms often don't work out for us. It's asking a lot for the transfer to happen 100 miles further south.

3 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

I think it just brings back memories of many infamous screwjobs from years past.

Why... this winter has screwed us every way possible!!!  If you only get a dusting and 100 east gets a foot!!!  

You're right. The EURO is still evolving into the Miller B setup. Hopefully it transfers down south of Hatteras.

3 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

The snow map is quite similar (in terms of coverage, at least?), though there was much less than this even shows around here in Dec. 2010.  I got literally a dusting, the most exciting thing was the raw cold and gusty winds!

Yeah if you trim off the few inches on the SW part, the real deal snow is in the same places. There was almost a foot of snow not too far east of me in DE, and up to 2 feet in NJ. But enough with the bad vibes. Lets hope this trends the other way from that debacle.

3 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

I don't think it's so much that people are upset at how things look right now, just wary.  The type of setup shown is very tricky for this area, and most often we get screwed by it.  That said, you are correct that it's a big change and improvement over what the Euro was showing before from what I've read in here (haven't seen much of the actual maps from last night).  And the potential sure is there for this event...if the northern stream can dig more and we can get phasing a bit earlier.

Let's play the odds card. How many miller B's have produced and how many have left us wanting to walk the streets to find small animals to kick?

I don't have exact #'s but I'm pretty sure it's at least 3/1 in the fail to acceptable ratio. Maybe 4-5/1. They all start the same way. Models have this good solutions in the med ranges with some monster solutions in the mix. We all buy into the monster. Then accept just a "good" solution. Then start talking like "as long as I get 3" I'll consider this a win". Then as we sit looking outside the window as snow spits and radar dries up before the transfer we're like "wait till the coastal takes over!!!". Then it does but the returns never press westward. Then the sinking feeling sets in. Then despair as some jackass from philly jumps in and says "Rakage! Thundersnow! 3"/hr!". 

3 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Yeah if you trim off the few inches on the SW part, the real deal snow is in the same places. There was almost a foot of snow not too far east of me in DE, and up to 2 feet in NJ. But enough with the bad vibes. Lets hope this trends the other way from that debacle.

Amen to that!  Yeah, I was up in Philly visiting my parents for Christmas that year, and came home a bit early, knowing they'd get hit (didn't care to drive in that!).  They got about a foot in Philly I recall, and northeast MD got maybe a couple inches I think.

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Let's play the odds card. How many miller B's have produced and how many have left us wanting to walk the streets to find small animals to kick?

I don't have exact #'s but I'm pretty sure it's at least 3/1 in the fail to acceptable ratio. Maybe 4-5/1

That's a lot of hurt puppies, kittens, and bunnies there! :P

Only good one I recall recently was of course Feb. 10, 2010.

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived