Total Members
    Most Online
    Gino27
    Newest Member
    Gino27
MetHerb

Spring Banter & General Discussion/Observations

13 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Mwn obs:We're celebrating the summit's record breaking snowfall with an ice cream cone on the deck!
38 hours of continuous snowfall left behind a whopping 33.3"of snow, making this our largest snowstorm ever recorded in May, as well as breaking our 24-hour May snowfall record with 22.9" in a 24-hour period!

Probably safe to say the largest late season snow event east of the Mississippi (in recorded history).

4 hours ago, dendrite said:

Maybe. But the snow levels would be way lower and I think the isothermal 0C layer would creep down to your elevation. Of course it's all hypothetical so who knows? 

It's possible, though my particular location doesn't seem to do well in marginal events, at least compared to the Farmington co-op, 6 miles to my west and a modest 30' higher.  Two examples which come to mind include the Octobomb, when they established a new October snowfall record with 8.0" while I had 4.5".  More relevant is their latest measurable on record, 3.0" on 5/13/2002.  I recorded 0.3".

5 hours ago, MarkO said:

Probably safe to say the largest late season snow event east of the Mississippi (in recorded history).

The Memorial Day weekend storm a few years ago dropped 36" on Whiteface in the Adirondacks above 3000ft.  There were some mighty impressive pics from that one on the Whiteface Memorial Highway.  

Similar type storm with huge QPF and H7 deformation over the eastern Adirondacks.  That one also crawled along for like 30 hours too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

700mb deformation fun.

Yeah that's pretty impressive QPF back inland compared to the coastal plain, given the model projections were a lot "smoother" and even heavier along the coast.  

But lol to those who wrote that off as just a meh showers storm.  Pretty decent synoptic storm for mid May.

Pulled this down out of an article over at Phys.org and thought it was pretty fascinating... It's an article about the plausible physical kick-backs into GW by the Pacific ocean SST anomalies -

pac.thumb.jpg.33516c255293bdc70456333720d5d899.jpg

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

The blackflies are next level bad right now 

Indeed.  Walking the dog allowed me to see how much they are in tune with sun and calm winds. The breeze would kick up or the clouds would close in and they disappear.  When the wind slackened or the sun reappeared they came out of nowhere

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah that's pretty impressive QPF back inland compared to the coastal plain, given the model projections were a lot "smoother" and even heavier along the coast.  

But lol to those who wrote that off as just a meh showers storm.  Pretty decent synoptic storm for mid May.

Did remind me of the Memorial weekend storm 

16 hours ago, powderfreak said:

The Memorial Day weekend storm a few years ago dropped 36" on Whiteface in the Adirondacks above 3000ft.  There were some mighty impressive pics from that one on the Whiteface Memorial Highway.  

Similar type storm with huge QPF and H7 deformation over the eastern Adirondacks.  That one also crawled along for like 30 hours too.

Yea, I'd say that was a larger and much snowier event. It put a lot of snow down to about 2500 feet even in the greens.  I even recall flakes down around Stowe town elevation for that one. 

I have to say regarding the weekend storm, upslope and NAM FTW. 

I know we discussed the NAM forecast soundings in the middle of last week, but there really were a huge red flag. That was a sign that snow levels weren't going to be all that high across NH and parts of ME. Kick in a little upslope assist and you get the pictures from SW NH that we saw.

And now I get to tee off and try and avoid puddles in the fairways.

2 hours ago, Hazey said:

Man the ticks are horrendous this year up here. Almost can't even go in the woods.

We lyme 

Picked up a dog tick this morning without even going into the woods - road-shoulder grass was the donor.  Did not see any on our light-colored pooch, who was at the other end of the leash.

P&C has Thursday getting to 91 for my foothills location; each period over the past 2 days has edged up the max for that day.  I'm in the woods, where heat underperforms (have not recorded 90+ since June of 2005), but the co-op observers 3 miles SSE and 6 miles W of me have more open locations, and a better chance.

Plymouth hit the low 80s today! I brought the guinea pigs outside. Epic fail. Poor little guys were scared ****less. I adopted them when from a shelter when they were about 9 months, and they had spent their entire short life stuck in a closet or being harassed by a toddler. They turned a year old this month. They have socially come a long way, but the abuse they suffered definitely left a mark.

19 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

Has anyone ever done senior research before?  If you do senior research is it a semester long project or full academic year? 

Depends...at Lyndon State, it was an entire year. Fall semester it was intro to research methods where you learned how to collect data, statistically analyze it, and identify reliable research sources. Spring semester was designing your experiment, collecting your data and writing the paper.

I did a water quality analysis of snow melt run off from Burke Mountain Ski Resort, pre and post ski season.

In Model Meyham I see that Ginx reported no gypsies...and DIT commented on the spray.  Curious what the spray was (and didn't want to reply in the model thread)?

2 hours ago, TwoDogNight said:

In Model Meyham I see that Ginx reported no gypsies...and DIT commented on the spray.  Curious what the spray was (and didn't want to reply in the model thread)?

I didn't spray for Gypsy Moth, we spray cinnamon oil extract for ticks and fleas. The Gyspies here hatched and were everywhere, the next day after a rain and cold night they were all dead. One Oak did not come back this year. 

8 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Men in suits. Perfect day, wow. About time I had a good day off. 

This is seasons in seasons.

69/40 this afternoon is as good as it gets under full sun CLR skies all day.

29 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I didn't spray for Gypsy Moth, we spray cinnamon oil extract for ticks and fleas. The Gyspies here hatched and were everywhere, the next day after a rain and cold night they were all dead. One Oak did not come back this year. 

Can you post a pic of the Oak tonight?