Spring Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, eekuasepinniW said:

surprise miserymist

trees are really leafing out fast now

They're sort of on hold here, aspen half grown, sugar maple not far behind, oaks breaking bud, ash waiting.  Assuming we get the 70s (or more) later next week, leaves here should come on in a rush.  Blackflies, too.

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

They're sort of on hold here, aspen half grown, sugar maple not far behind, oaks breaking bud, ash waiting.  Assuming we get the 70s (or more) later next week, leaves here should come on in a rush.  Blackflies, too.

My black flies arrived Wed night in earnest. Unfortunately my sick chicken chose that day to pass on and I became lunch trying to bury it out in the woods.

17 hours ago, eekuasepinniW said:

I should just give you my bag of oranges so they'll get eaten.

At least I've got memories of the tanager to hold me over.

I'm going through two whole oranges a day. I need to get some grape jelly to change it up.

16 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I'm going through two whole oranges a day. I need to get some grape jelly to change it up.

Just from watching youtube feeder videos, it seems the order of preference is jelly, oranges, and then nectar. 

I ordered this:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BH94QZ8/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

... but the ship date keeps changing and by the time I get it, it'll probably be too late. :arrowhead:

I wish I had a more out in the open spot to put the feeders.  Tucked at the edge of the property under trees really limits the visibility to birds passing by.

14 minutes ago, eekuasepinniW said:

Just from watching youtube feeder videos, it seems the order of preference is jelly, oranges, and then nectar. 

I ordered this:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BH94QZ8/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

... but the ship date keeps changing and by the time I get it, it'll probably be too late. :arrowhead:

I wish I had a more out in the open spot to put the feeders.  Tucked at the edge of the property under trees really limits the visibility to birds passing by.

I used to have that feeder. The orioles and catbirds really went for the nectar, but the bees and ants did as well. I got frustrated with cleaning their corpses out of it.

edit: also, you may want to get a domed cover for that feeder to keep the rain out. the jelly starts getting nasty otherwise.

11 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

wow time flies, congrats Mini Mike

Thanks, Steve.  It's been a crazy-fast four years.

I do have to say that this is one of the prettiest parts of the country.  The hills are really impressive....I'm not not sure if any go to 5000, but I see at least one at 4700' and a whole slew well above 4k.  I love it here.

RN+ and thunder.

5 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

Thanks, Steve.  It's been a crazy-fast four years.

I do have to say that this is one of the prettiest parts of the country.  The hills are really impressive....I'm not not sure if any go to 5000, but I see at least one at 4700' and a whole slew well above 4k.  I love it here.

RN+ and thunder.

Mt Rodgers, Whitetop, Buzzards Top, Pine Mt and Haw Orchard all exceed 5K

Solar panels are up and running. Anyone else have them? Didn't realize that they produce power even when its cloudy. I am making almost 1kwh right now with full overcast.20170513_094347-jpeg.197445Solar panels are up and running. Anyone else have them? Didn't realize that they produce power even when its cloudy. I am making almost 1kwh right now with full overcast.

solar.JPG

20170513_101647(1).jpeg

47 minutes ago, BrianW said:

Solar panels are up and running. Anyone else have them? Didn't realize that they produce power even when its cloudy. I am making almost 1kwh right now with full overcast.20170513_094347-jpeg.197445Solar panels are up and running. Anyone else have them? Didn't realize that they produce power even when its cloudy. I am making almost 1kwh right now with full overcast.

solar.JPG

20170513_101647(1).jpeg

Installing next month! Nice to hear they produce in weather like this.

1 hour ago, Hoth said:

Installing next month! Nice to hear they produce in weather like this.

CT has pretty good incentives but Massachusetts is the best in the nation. The return on buying them is insane. Hopefully your buying them outright and getting all the incentives and tax rebates.

Expected payback here is 6 years and I got a 22k system for 9k after the state incentive and federal rebate.

MA-Report-Card.png

ma-header-image.png

1 hour ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

It has not been such a bad day in the valley so far.  Bright overcast and 56°

Much needed yardwork getting accomplished. 

It turned into a beautiful day here in the Blue Ridge.  Going to a dinner in the hills this evening, then will start the trip back..  Hopefully we'll make it into West Virginia before crashing for the night.  Then, a long day of drive-time tomorrow.

3 hours ago, moneypitmike said:

It turned into a beautiful day here in the Blue Ridge.  Going to a dinner in the hills this evening, then will start the trip back..  Hopefully we'll make it into West Virginia before crashing for the night.  Then, a long day of drive-time tomorrow.

Enjoy!

Archived