Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

1 minute ago, DomNH said:

I'm hoping to get out really early Saturday before it rains. As much as I'd like it to be warm and sunny, cold and cloudy definitely keeps the courses on the empty side which is nice. 

True. It's a delicate balance, because I'll be just as upset in July when I'm suffering through a 6 hour round because of someone from away popping in off the turnpike.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to say I'm impressed that for two consecutive days in May have featured all snow and frozen (graupel) as the p-type at the Mountain Operations office.  

Yes its 1500ft in NVT but it's also after the first week in May.  The snow amounts have been trivial but just seeing two straight days of flakes with no rain seems to be a good barameter of this airmass.  

Some spots in the Adirondacks have woken up to snow cover two days in a row too.

44 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I have to say I'm impressed that for two consecutive days in May have featured all snow and frozen (graupel) as the p-type at the Mountain Operations office.  

Yes its 1500ft in NVT but it's also after the first week in May.  The snow amounts have been trivial but just seeing two straight days of flakes with no rain seems to be a good barameter of this airmass.  

Some spots in the Adirondacks have woken up to snow cover two days in a row too.

Aaand NASA will go ahead and put out their state of the planet monthly address come June 10 regarding May and low and behold, the whole planet is yet again warmer than it has ever been ...with one faithful ...apparently, interminable exception:  New England and SE Canada and the adjacent NW Atlantic Basin - pretty much one of just two or three regions that manage to cough up blue or neutral colored relative anomalies. 

It's a baffling mystery why this "cold node" keeps plopping around the surface of the planet either over, or nearby, for like 90% of the months spanning the last 10 years.  Fascinating - 

Perhaps equally intriguing is the spiritual connection in that this weather-related social media happens to exist in the clutches of said cold region ... where it serves a uniquely OCD afflicted cold type of weather addict.  Remarkable stroke of mystic sort of convenience there - 

11 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Aaand NASA will go ahead and put out their state of the planet monthly address come June 10 regarding May and low and behold, the whole planet is yet again warmer than it has ever been ...with one faithful ...apparently, interminable exception:  New England and SE Canada and the adjacent NW Atlantic Basin - pretty much one of just two or three regions that manage to cough up blue or neutral colored relative anomalies. 

It's a baffling mystery why this "cold node" keeps plopping around the surface of the planet either over, or nearby, for like 90% of the months spanning the last 10 years.  Fascinating - 

Perhaps equally intriguing is the spiritual connection in that this weather-related social media happens to exist in the clutches of said cold region ... where it serves a uniquely OCD afflicted cold type of weather addict.  Remarkable stroke of mystic sort of convenience there - 

I'm not even sure I completely understand what you are trying to say there... :lol:

53 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

We managed to drop into the U40s here during the day. #wheelofrhea

Was a fairly predictable type of airmass. I think we even mentioned the whole self destructive sun idea under this thing last week...you try and reach 55-57 by 10-11am and then it all unravels and you end up 48 and mostly cloudy with a spitting shower or two. 

#wheelofrhea indeed. 

49 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Was a fairly predictable type of airmass. I think we even mentioned the whole self destructive sun idea under this thing last week...you try and reach 55-57 by 10-11am and then it all unravels and you end up 48 and mostly cloudy with a spitting shower or two. 

#wheelofrhea indeed. 

Yesterday was at least an "ok" day on the coast. Some sun and W winds. But today there was a subtle weak trough. Winds came onshore with sprinkles and dropping temps. Definitely not pleasant.

4 hours ago, tamarack said:

The way I heard it was not to plant within a week either side of the full moon. 

Given my penchant for numbers fun, I've tracked first and last frosts with full moons for 1973 on.  Since 15 days (full + 7 each side) is 50.8% of the lunar cycle, that's the no-skill mark.  My 13 years in Bangor (3) and Ft. Kent had those frosts come during that window 77% of the time, 92% for late spring's final.  Then 12 years in Gardiner hit only 29% of the time, and 19 years in the foothills 47%.  The total for all 4 locations is 45 of 88, or 51.1%, which is as close to the no-skill mark as possible given the years of record.

The obvious diff is latitude. I have planted going on 40 years now and have never lost a tomato plant planted after the last full moon in May. It's standard down here for all gardeners to put tomatoes in after the May full moon

6 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

The obvious diff is latitude. I have planted going on 40 years now and have never lost a tomato plant planted after the last full moon in May. It's standard down here for all gardeners to put tomatoes in after the May full moon

Have a ton of tomato seedlings (seeds from tomatoes that the birds ate last year) that popped up during the warm spell 2 weeks ago...hoping they make it through this cool spell and aren't too stunted.  Low temp so far during this period has been 41.  So far so good.

48 minutes ago, eekuasepinniW said:

Need a cam on my feeders... I always wonder what I miss.  Even when I'm looking over there a lot, it's still like 1% of the time.  It was pure luck that I even saw the tanager.

I thought about getting a trail cam for that purpose. A good cam would probably get triggered for a ton of photos each day.

16 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

The temp anomalies in this region are just a precursor to what we will see when the inevitable collapse of the Thermohalene cycle commences.  Then we will really see some cold and snow departures in May.

:o

20 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

The temp anomalies in this region are just a precursor to what we will see when the inevitable collapse of the Thermohalene cycle commences.  Then we will really see some cold and snow departures in May.

:o

:lol: 

if you say so...  actually, risking OT diversion... there's an interesting article out at Phy.org about the role of the IPO in the GW debate.  It has to do with how the negative and positive phases have a pretty correlation with "rate" of decrease (increase) of Global temperature trends, respectively. 

https://phys.org/news/2017-05-paris.html

There's stuff not in there that leaps to mind...like, it didn't discuss Solar cycles in that, which also has been shown to correlate both with land and air divergence of temperature trends.  But, I do know that when scaling the equations of influences in any system constants can be factored out as none motivators; the sun to a reasonable approximation is going to shine in that ceremony of variables so... the "climate lever" of the Pacific Oscillation index is probably more of a bicept over it's 20 to 30 years rough periodicity.   But, it's an interesting article either way -

17 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

When I lived in Ft. Kent, I'd plant tomatoes during the first few days in June, and that seemed always to be followed by cool wind that turned the leaves almost white.  In 1980 I waited until the 2nd week, after which it snowed.  (No measurable, but it turned the lawn light green, and came with serious wind.  Tomatoes FTL.)  Also lost half my pumpkins to frost on 7/31/78 and next door all the beans died.  One of our logging contractors, who had his office on the border across from St.-Pamphile, PQ, gave up after losing his garden 4 straight years during 4th of July week.  Not the easiest place for gardening.

30 minutes ago, tamarack said:

When I lived in Ft. Kent, I'd plant tomatoes during the first few days in June, and that seemed always to be followed by cool wind that turned the leaves almost white.  In 1980 I waited until the 2nd week, after which it snowed.  (No measurable, but it turned the lawn light green, and came with serious wind.  Tomatoes FTL.)  Also lost half my pumpkins to frost on 7/31/78 and next door all the beans died.  One of our logging contractors, who had his office on the border across from St.-Pamphile, PQ, gave up after losing his garden 4 straight years during 4th of July week.  Not the easiest place for gardening.

Must have been this airmass...kind of hard to believe for June (We'd be discussing good dendritic growth temps in the upslope regions if this happened today)

80609.png

3 hours ago, dendrite said:

Somehow Mansfield only reported a T with that airmass. Their min was 20F though.

Even this current airmass only bottomed out at 21F.  20F a month from now is crazy.

Don't get started on snowfall there, I'll write like Tippy paragraphs.

Theu didn't even record a trace the other day when I was hiking up in those snow squalls that had at least an inch and that was in the afternoon near their obs time.  I've got photos of my dog rolling in fresh snow and videos of squalls while if I look at the records it says 0.0, not even T.  These past few days the best guess would be around 3" up there that was recorded as 0.3".  I mean there was 0.3" down to 1500ft, but that's what the record will show for the summit.

Though I will say I've never seen more than 5" fall and have them record a trace...that time was an October event that fell overnight and was mostly gone by the 5pm obs time.  

If I see a trace in the records it could be up to 3" just based on what I've seen from them, but unlikely to be any higher.  Not saying 3" fell in that one but just sort of that's what their records mean to me...Trace is T-3" zone.  

Even still, that map looks like a 4+" type deal with flow and temps.  

30 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Even this current airmass only bottomed out at 21F.  20F a month from now is crazy.

Don't get started on snowfall there, I'll write like Tippy paragraphs.

Theu didn't even record a trace the other day when I was hiking up in those snow squalls that had at least an inch and that was in the afternoon near their obs time.  I've got photos of my dog rolling in fresh snow and videos of squalls while if I look at the records it says 0.0, not even T.  These past few days the best guess would be around 3" up there that was recorded as 0.3".  I mean there was 0.3" down to 1500ft, but that's what the record will show for the summit.

Though I will say I've never seen more than 5" fall and have them record a trace...that time was an October event that fell overnight and was mostly gone by the 5pm obs time.  

If I see a trace in the records it could be up to 3" just based on what I've seen from them, but unlikely to be any higher.  Not saying 3" fell in that one but just sort of that's what their records mean to me...Trace is T-3" zone.  

Even still, that map looks like a 4+" type deal with flow and temps.  

MWN has pulled off an even 4.0" in the last 3 days too.

Archived