Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coop Crushing Snow Observations 02/15/17

wxeyeNH

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Pack is struggling, down to around 6" and will be mostly gone by the start to the workweek. 

Yeah I was out of town last night and I couldn't believe how much melted from yesterday afternoon but we still have an avg of 8-10 otg after peaking at 15-17 Sunday evening

Still though even if that was it, it was a nice week. I personally do not think we are done, I think March will rock but my only concern is for much of the interior coastal plain we need a good Eastern Canadian source of cold air.

I think we actually lost a bit of pack over the past 36 hours between yesterday afternoon/evening's rain and today's melting. The 4-5" we got last night may have made it a wash. Hard to complain given the stretch we had, but yesterday was disappointing; woke up to a forecast of 12-18" new and went to bed hoping we'd eke out 6. Such is life on the coast.

8 minutes ago, PWMan said:

I think we actually lost a bit of pack over the past 36 hours between yesterday afternoon/evening's rain and today's melting. The 4-5" we got last night may have made it a wash. Hard to complain given the stretch we had, but yesterday was disappointing; woke up to a forecast of 12-18" new and went to bed hoping we'd eke out 6. Such is life on the coast.

For the record, we never had 12-18" going for Scarborough. 8-12" was the highest we ever got.

20 minutes ago, codfishsnowman said:

Yeah I was out of town last night and I couldn't believe how much melted from yesterday afternoon but we still have an avg of 8-10 otg after peaking at 15-17 Sunday evening

Still though even if that was it, it was a nice week. I personally do not think we are done, I think March will rock but my only concern is for much of the interior coastal plain we need a good Eastern Canadian source of cold air.

We are deff not done, agree.

2 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

They've issued them for a long time, it's only recently they started asking us to disseminate them on their behalf. So it's much like an air quality alert, I don't decide to issue it, someone asks me to do it for them.

They also do advisories, but as of yet they aren't asking us to disseminate those. Yet. 

Please issue one for my chickens.

IMG_6806.JPG

8 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Doesn't it get too much? Tough to ski with powder to the nostrils.

It is scary at times (as the recent death at the resort indicated on Monday where the UVM student got stuck upside down in the deep snow) when its like this because if you fall, you have nothing to push on to get up.  Its just snow on top of snow on top of snow.  If you take your skis off you go down to your neck in snow.  Its pretty unnerving off the trails at times, but its also part of the allure.

I mean folks are seeing avalanches ripping out in the Notch, even steep woods are seeing 3-foot slabs release.  Lots of cracking and whoomping heard...its like western US snow has come east.

But a powder skier never cries uncle, haha. 

Stake depth at the COOP increased 12" in the last 24 hours and is now at 102".

30 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It is scary at times (as the recent death at the resort indicated on Monday where the UVM student got stuck upside down in the deep snow) when its like this because if you fall, you have nothing to push on to get up.  Its just snow on top of snow on top of snow.  If you take your skis off you go down to your neck in snow.  Its pretty unnerving off the trails at times, but its also part of the allure.

I mean folks are seeing avalanches ripping out in the Notch, even steep woods are seeing 3-foot slabs release.  Lots of cracking and whoomping heard...its like western US snow has come east.

It's amazing how the mtn has maximized the snow. Very efficient compared to lower elevations and srn VT. Maybe that's why I am seeing the Stowe vt commercials down here lol. I would personally love to see 102" of snow otg lol. I should take. "Short term PTO day" on Monday. Awesome man. That's great for you guys. Happy it's an awesome season. 

51 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I saw a show awhile back where a skier out west fell upside down into a tree well, he managed to reach his cell phone to call his wife who called the mountain and sent a search party out and found him in time to get him out. He was skiing with a camera on his helmet so the whole thing was on tape.

19 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It's amazing how the mtn has maximized the snow. Very efficient compared to lower elevations and srn VT. Maybe that's why I am seeing the Stowe vt commercials down here lol. I would personally love to see 102" of snow otg lol. I should take. "Short term PTO day" on Monday. Awesome man. That's great for you guys. Happy it's an awesome season. 

It has been one of the better upslope seasons in recent memory... and I don't think the warmth this winter is a coincident.  Also the upslope events have been fairly decent QPF events...we've had a lot more big QPF events than normal for orographic events (I think twice we've had over 2" of QPF in pure upslope events).  I just have to believe the warmth and higher PWATs that come seem to come with those air masses plays a role.  There's also been a lot more westerly and even southwesterly flow events which Mansfield does really well with given the 2 mile ridgeline facing due west...and those events are often unblocked.  Unblocked westerly flow events just pummel Mansfield's east side, pushing the moisture up and over the mountain like water going over a waterfall...and it all just pounds down the eastern slope.

I've got around two feet on the ground at home...which honestly feels like f*cking Tahoe after the past couple seasons.  And my house is the lowest amount of snow I see on a daily basis, haha.  Now there's snow on the ground in the village but the difference from town to mountain over only a few miles is still pretty ridiculous.  The meso-scale nature of it is hard to grasp sometimes. 

32 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It has been one of the better upslope seasons in recent memory... and I don't think the warmth this winter is a coincident.  Also the upslope events have been fairly decent QPF events...we've had a lot more big QPF events than normal for orographic events (I think twice we've had over 2" of QPF in pure upslope events).  I just have to believe the warmth and higher PWATs that come seem to come with those air masses plays a role.  There's also been a lot more westerly and even southwesterly flow events which Mansfield does really well with given the 2 mile ridgeline facing due west...and those events are often unblocked.  Unblocked westerly flow events just pummel Mansfield's east side, pushing the moisture up and over the mountain like water going over a waterfall...and it all just pounds down the eastern slope.

I've got around two feet on the ground at home...which honestly feels like f*cking Tahoe after the past couple seasons.  And my house is the lowest amount of snow I see on a daily basis, haha.  Now there's snow on the ground in the village but the difference from town to mountain over only a few miles is still pretty ridiculous.  The meso-scale nature of it is hard to grasp sometimes. 

What events did you have 2" solely on upslope? Were they over 2'? I don't recall. I believe you obviously...I just don't recall what dates. 

17 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

What events did you have 2" solely on upslope? Were they over 2'? I don't recall. I believe you obviously...I just don't recall what dates. 

That's true it may not have been solely on upslope but most was.  I'll have to check, multi-day events.  One in November and one in First half of December IIRC.

17 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

That's true it may not have been solely on upslope but most was.  I'll have to check, multi-day events.  One in November and one in First half of December IIRC.

I usually try and mentally take notes of large events even if it does not affect me. :). I thought one may have been early in the season. 

20 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

That whole area, even down to like Stoneham and Waterford is sick for snow retention. Then of course further north into Rangeley.

They have to be the best snow retention area in New England given their elevation...maybe minus some spots way up north near Allagash, ME. Like 600 feet elevation in a town like North Waterford...they'll attain a 40"+ pack without too much sweat in a decent winter.

My choice would be Rocky Mountain, 10 miles NW of Allagash village, a 3-mile N-S ridge that peaks just under 2,000', about the same as Deboullie 20 miles to its SE (and another good choice that's even prettier.)  Rocky is steep on its east slope and precipitous on its west.  In the endless snows of 1976-77 (recorded snow on 82 of 90 days DJF, right along the St. John in Ft. Kent - Rocky was probably 90-of-90) the depth became incredibly tall, such that the skidders could no longer move thru the woods by mid-February.  Deepest snow I measured in that part of Maine was about 10 miles N of Rocky on Big Twenty Twp, about 12 hours after the end of a 2-ft-plus storm, 26.5" at my place in Ft. Kent, 29.0" at CAR, 3/14-15/1984.  Even with post-snowfall settling and some still in the trees (it's all woods there) I found 80", and given all the sleet/ZR/dense snow that winter, I'm guessing that pack held 20" LE.

Archived