Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
February 12/13 SWFE/Coastal Observations

Baroclinic Zone

2 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Western part of Rockingham and Strafford really haven't been in it like the eastern part of the counties. I probably could've kept coastal Rockingham in, but it was a tough call. Needed to do something with them by 10 AM because they were expiring anyway. Opted for wind advisories with blowing/drifting impacts instead.

Fair enouh. I see your point. But the cities are all in the NE sections of those counties--Rochester, somersworth, Dover, Portsmouth.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Well and there's the weenie problem. Focusing on the high of the range. Because a forecast of 8" and getting 4" or 12" is the same relative miss (though everyone would take the high bust versus low).

Our SOO and I were just having a discussion about snowfall forecasting, and I would be curious to see what some other mets would say, but when forecasting snowfall you should always be at least a little concerned you are too low on amounts. Otherwise, you have a high bias. And that's really not a good thing to have.

I feel like we are sometimes going to gangbusters and overthinking things on forecasts that aren't exactly brainteasers. I can't speak for Maine obviously, but I think it was pretty obvious that the BOS area struggle for a bit with snow. I felt like many people were throwing out numbers way to high and still kept at it yesterday when the trend was there. So now, not only do you give the met community a bad name...you now have repercussions such as economic issues and hardships by school/business cancellations..etc. Whatever happened to going with the more likely outcome?

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I feel like we are sometimes going to gangbusters and overthinking things on forecasts that aren't exactly brainteasers. I can't speak for Maine obviously, but I think it was pretty obvious that the BOS area struggle for a bit with snow. I felt like many people were throwing out numbers way to high and still kept at it yesterday when the trend was there. So now, not only do you give the met community a bad name...you now have repercussions such as economic issues and hardships by school/business cancellations..etc. Whatever happened to going with the more likely outcome?

It's an interesting way to look at it. Your forecast really should bust equally high and low, otherwise you have a baked in forecaster bias. I certainly know some people who never bust on the high side, because they are always out on the limb already.

6 minutes ago, MaineJayhawk said:

I follow somebody from Halifax NS on Instagram ... here is a photo she took today

Nuclear winter.

5 minutes ago, Chinook said:

blizzard conditions at Augusta ME, with 45mph wind gusts. I believe this HZ (haze) is in error and it is snow

Yeah, present wx kicked the bucket this morning because the blowing snow cakes the sensor. AUG is in a perfect spot up on a hill to really get into windy conditions.

2 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

It's an interesting way to look at it. Your forecast really should bust equally high and low, otherwise you have a baked in forecaster bias. I certainly know some people who never bust on the high side, because they are always out on the limb already.

I think we are good enough to know when to hold, and know when to fold them...but it's not doing us any good to always go with armageddon outcomes in a questionable setup.

15 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Reason why the best guys go gunho on rare occassions, because big events are....rare.

We've had many big events in recent years so it has become second nature lately for anything in the pipeline to be the next big thing. 

Back into mod-hvy snow 90 minutes ago as the westernmost band arrived.  Visibility 1/4 mile between gusts but tiny flakes so accum is good not great.  Probably 3" or so since 7 AM so approaching 18.  The wind arrived late morning, with gusts making the house creak - takes 30+ to do that in winter, 5-10 more in summer thanks to all the leaves.

Saw winds 50G58 kt at Matinicus Rock last hour.  Scrubbing the granite clean.

43 minutes ago, forkyfork said:

oh look, the euro was overdone again. 48 hour forecast vs verification 

ecmwf_T850_neus_3.png

ecmwf_T850_neus_1.png

Yeah that 12z Saturday run was the last Euro run that really had a big CCB hitting E SNE for Monday morning....you can see on that map with the 850mb isotherms where it would be going to town. Right down the Maine coast and into E MA.

Though the Euro wasn't the only model overdoing it...just about all other guidance. The least bullish model on that feature was probably the NAM...it's done relatively well this season inside of 48 hours.

9 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

NWS has been reduced to the old days of hand charts and phoned in obs. AWIPS outage nationwide. 

The only thing we're sending is our radar data, and the only thing we're receiving is our own radar data (not neighbors). 

:axe:

Use wifi and simwips lol. A tree just came down next to our parking lot grazing an employees car, High gust to 51 which is insane for here

2.jpg

6 minutes ago, SouthCoastMA said:

the elbow of the Cape on up and making up some decent ground

Good to know...I was thinking about driving out to nausette and watching the ocean...we have breaks of sun here in Plymouth, only got a dusting after it went back to snow. I guess I would be driving into snow bands if I headed out on the cape

Archived