Newest Member
    CHSVol
February 12/13 SWFE/Coastal Observations

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I mean the forcing was modeled to be there, we just got that weird subby screw zone between the intense deformation and the higher level stuff. It finally did fill back in and consolidate.

I'm cool with being snow-free for the day, but just curious which forcing -- to my east or west -- was supposed to pass come through my area.

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Man, there were actually some pretty big totals just outside of Boston proper....Arlington 10", Winchester, 10.2", Lexington 9.7", Newton 8.6"...shows just how critical that extra 5 miles of distance from the water was in that area.

I was on my way to having some good totals until that band set up just N of me. It sort of positioned itself there. There was actually ice after sunset on some of the slush as temps tickled just under 32. Then the band moved north lol. I bet those areas like Arlington may have had elevation. Some of that area is near and over 200'.

Just now, CoastalWx said:

I was on my way to having some good totals until that band set up just N of me. It sort of positioned itself there. There was actually ice after sunset on some of the slush as temps tickled just under 32. Then the band moved north lol. I bet those areas like Arlington may have had elevation. Some of that area is near and over 200'.

Don Roostas old house FTW

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah same with Winchester and Newton...there's some hilly terrain there that may have given them a couple hundred feet. Which matters when it is hovering just above freezing.

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

We'll take it.

16" out of this one for the ski resort with some upslope snow showers still going.

The snowpack up there has to continue to rival 2000-2001.  There's 40" on the ground at 1,500ft and probably 90" up above 3,500ft.

16716169_10102862622109210_8437356047330

That is just awesome! I am going to have to pay my annual visit this Friday I think.

5 minutes ago, 1985 Polar Bear said:

I'm cool with being snow-free for the day, but just curious which forcing -- to my east or west -- was supposed to pass come through my area.

The forcing was really overhead all along, but the band was so intense to the east that we ended up in subsidence from it all day. Once it weakened we filled back in.

24 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Sure am glad we shoveled our deck yesterday

Porch roof has the same depth as it did last Saturday, before I shoveled.  Was up there today sweeping snow that was blocking the sat dish.  Still very glad to get 3 tons off that roof, and the new stuff doesn't have the late January crust that's about 10 lb per sq.ft. all by itself.  I had to stomp repeatedly to break thru so I could get the scoop under the pieces, though sometimes it was easier to just heave them by hand.  Had about 5" since clearing the board at 7A, still borderline mod/hvy.  Only need another inch to crack 20.  I hope the plow driver pushes the big pile far enough to allow mail delivery when he does cleanup and winging back.  I'm not interested in shoveling a pathway that's wide enough for a letter carrier's vehicle through a pile 5-6' high, 15+ feet long, and all on the town road (which becomes unmaintained once past the house.)

18 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Porch roof has the same depth as it did last Saturday, before I shoveled.  Was up there today sweeping snow that was blocking the sat dish.  Still very glad to get 3 tons off that roof, and the new stuff doesn't have the late January crust that's about 10 lb per sq.ft. all by itself.  I had to stomp repeatedly to break thru so I could get the scoop under the pieces, though sometimes it was easier to just heave them by hand.  Had about 5" since clearing the board at 7A, still borderline mod/hvy.  Only need another inch to crack 20.  I hope the plow driver pushes the big pile far enough to allow mail delivery when he does cleanup and winging back.  I'm not interested in shoveling a pathway that's wide enough for a letter carrier's vehicle through a pile 5-6' high, 15+ feet long, and all on the town road (which becomes unmaintained once past the house.)

Is this you? , wow man

Date Time Station Number Station Name Total Precip in. New Snow in. Total Snow in.  State County View
2/13/2017   7:00 AM   ME-FR-4   New Sharon 2.0 NW  1.14 14.0 43.0 ME Franklin

7 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

We received 4" from 6am to now.  Blizzard like conditions throughout the day. 

We never got the wind that was forecast.  Steady 10-15 but I see other places in town have some pretty good drifting.  We usually get it pretty good being on the Kennebec river too, kind of odd.

5 minutes ago, WthrJunkyME said:

We never got the wind that was forecast.  Steady 10-15 but I see other places in town have some pretty good drifting.  We usually get it pretty good being on the Kennebec river too, kind of odd.

I think AUG and WVL ripped up on the hills, but the lower spots it was pretty run of the mill nor'easter (for wind).

11 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I'll do a better job of measuring next time.  House is new to me and I'll know better where to take some measurements.  I figure total depth has to be 38-42 inches by now.

Just took a few photos in the dark and snow, not great but you can get the idea.  I ran the snowblower in the backyard and it was a good workout for it!

DSC_0618.JPG

DSC_0619.JPG

DSC_0620.JPG

DSC_0621.JPG

DSC_0622.JPG

DSC_0623.JPG

1 minute ago, WthrJunkyME said:

I'll do a better job of measuring next time.  House is new to me and I'll know better where to take some measurements.  I figure total depth has to be 38-42 inches by now.

Just took a few photos in the dark and snow, not great but you can get the idea.  I ran the snowblower in the backyard and it was a good workout for it!

DSC_0618.JPG

DSC_0619.JPG

DSC_0620.JPG

DSC_0621.JPG

DSC_0622.JPG

DSC_0623.JPG

Nice man, congrats thats solid

Archived