SnowHabit
February 12/13 SWFE/Coastal Observations

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

Don Roostas old house FTW

That area was a great illustration of CF events. Turkey Hill stands 350'. Many times I was accused of inflating totals. Never did understand that.
      http://arlington.wickedlocal.com/article/20140601/news/140609851
I think the coop totals are now reported (submitted) by a nearby neighbor. Many a Spring storm witnessed 6" at the top and a slushy mess at the bottom. 

So jealous now living vicariously...   

From GYX:

Avalanche Warning

NHZ002-140500-

BULLETIN - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED
BACKCOUNTRY AVALANCHE WARNING
FOREST SERVICE MOUNT WASHINGTON AVALANCHE CENTER, GORHAM NH
RELAYED BY NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GRAY ME
1126 AM EST SUN FEB 12 2017

THE FOLLOWING MESSAGE IS TRANSMITTED AT THE REQUEST OF THE FOREST
SERVICE MOUNT WASHINGTON AVALANCHE CENTER, GORHAM NH.

THE US FOREST SERVICE MOUNT WASHINGTON AVALANCHE CENTER HAS
ISSUED A BACKCOUNTRY AVALANCHE WARNING.

* TIMING...IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO MIDNIGHT MONDAY.

* AFFECTED AREA...THE CUTLER RIVER DRAINAGE ON THE EAST SIDE OF
  MOUNT WASHINGTON INCLUDING FORECAST AREAS IN TUCKERMAN AND
  HUNTINGTON RAVINES. WARNING CRITERIA MAY BE MET IN OTHER AREAS
  OUTSIDE THOSE FORECAST BY THE AVALANCHE CENTER.

* AVALANCHE DANGER...THE AVALANCHE DANGER FOR THE WARNING AREA
  WILL RISE TO HIGH AND POSSIBLY EXTREME.

* REASON/IMPACTS...UP TO 24 INCHES OF NEW SNOW COMBINED WITH
  70-100MPH WINDS WILL CREATE LARGE AVALANCHES IN MANY AREAS
  CAPABLE OF RUNNING ONTO FLAT TERRAIN.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...
STAY OFF OF...AND OUT FROM UNDERNEATH...STEEP SLOPES. AVALANCHES
MAY RUN LONG DISTANCES INTO FLAT TERRAIN AND COULD RUN INTO MATURE
FORESTS.

TRAVEL IN AVALANCHE TERRAIN IS NOT RECOMMENDED.

SIMILAR AVALANCHE DANGER MAY EXIST AT LOCATIONS OUTSIDE THE
COVERAGE AREA OF THIS OR ANY AVALANCHE CENTER.

CONSULT THE CURRENT AVALANCHE ADVISORY AT
WWW.MOUNTWASHINGTONAVALANCHECENTER.ORG FOR MORE DETAILED
INFORMATION.

$$

POHL

DISCLAIMER (added Feb 14 at 1615z ... The following post was based on faulty information (apparently) posted for PWM and CON. Please disregard the information in this post. I would edit it out except that there is a discussion following with quotes so probably the better course of action would be moderator deletion of all posts referring to this. From my review of the data, I believe that BGR's climate report at 4 p.m. 13th was correct and carried forward while the reports for PWM and CON were incorrect including faulty monthly totals. The corrected numbers now available show ratios on the 13th closer to 20:1. I think that subsequent discussion includes the corrected snowfall totals but for the record (at this point in time, assuming no further updates) PWM added 6.7" (.44 LE), a ratio of just over 15:1 and a two day aggregate of 16.1" from 1.58" LE (ratio 10:1 rounded). CON added only 2.5" from 0.18" LE (a ratio of about 14:1) for an aggregate of 8.1" from 0.71" (about 11.5 to 1 ratio). The final numbers for BGR on 13th were 21.5" added from 0.90" LE (a ratio of about 24:1) and that gives an aggregate for the two days of 24.2" from 1.04" (about 23:1). What follows is the original post based on retracted information. I will edit this again if the CF6 records change at some future time. 

Some crazy ratios today (since midnight) according to early climate reports. These figures assume all snow and no taint. In general it looks like the snow was very dry after midnight and quite moist before midnight (the exact transition was no doubt between the two phases of the event).

PWM added 15.1" from 0.20 LE, ratio 75.5 : 1 

... (yesterday 9.4" from 1.14 LE, ratio 8.2 : 1) ... overall 24.5" from 1.34 LE, ratio 18:1

BGR added 16.4" from 0.55 LE, ratio 30:1

... (yesterday 2.7" from 0.14 LE, ratio 19.3 : 1) ... overall 19.1" from 0.69 LE, ratio 28:1

CON added 8.1" from 0.18 LE, ratio 45:1

... (yesterday 5.6" from 0.53 LE, ratio 10.6 : 1) ... overall 13.7 from 0.71 LE, ratio 19:1

Those added amounts are to 4 p.m. EST and will presumably increase with slight changes to ratios, I will perhaps review this from final data and post final figures. But those are very low water content values from today's phase. 

7 minutes ago, Roger Smith said:

Some crazy ratios today (since midnight) according to early climate reports. These figures assume all snow and no taint. In general it looks like the snow was very dry after midnight and quite moist before midnight (the exact transition was no doubt between the two phases of the event).

PWM added 15.1" from 0.20 LE, ratio 75.5 : 1 

... (yesterday 9.4" from 1.14 LE, ratio 8.2 : 1) ... overall 24.5" from 1.34 LE, ratio 18:1

BGR added 16.4" from 0.55 LE, ratio 30:1

... (yesterday 2.7" from 0.14 LE, ratio 19.3 : 1) ... overall 19.1" from 0.69 LE, ratio 28:1

CON added 8.1" from 0.18 LE, ratio 45:1

... (yesterday 5.6" from 0.53 LE, ratio 10.6 : 1) ... overall 13.7 from 0.71 LE, ratio 19:1

Those added amounts are to 4 p.m. EST and will presumably increase with slight changes to ratios, I will perhaps review this from final data and post final figures. But those are very low water content values from today's phase. 

Roger, the 15.1" at Portland may be the storm total. We'll see what the final climate summary shows. Hopefully, the City picked up 24" not 15", but we'll see.

Probably mostly valid points, I thought these were observer-staffed locations. However, the usual protocol is that the climate report at 4 p.m. is from midnight to 4 p.m. and precip of all types is all new since the last CF6 daily summary or the previous climate daily report, in fact if you compare final climate report for PWM and today's partial, this matches up in terms of seasonal snowfall reported as 54.3" to end of 12th and 69.4" now, will check it all out at the end of the day from the CF6 (and even then maybe you won't buy the ratios at that point, I have no way of knowing and I thought it looked a bit high, was expecting 20 or 30 to 1 more like Bangor has). 

14 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I see 8.1" in the CLI now for CON. That is the event total including yesterday. PWM's is storm total too.

This is not what I'm seeing. By "storm total" do you mean total snow on 12th-13th? That's what I mean by it. And there was 5.6" of snow before midnight at CON, 8.1" more since midnight. Check the CF6 and today's climate February snowfall totals. They increase by 8.1" to 26.2" after the 5.6" from Sunday 12th is reported as part of a total of 18.1". But maybe we're talking about two different concepts of when the storm began? In other words, the 8.1" does not include the 5.6" -- it is additional to the 5.6".

Roger,

The storm total for CON is 8.1"...that is the 12th and 13th combined. PWM is 15.1". Don't worry about what the F6 is. They will change that later. CON will end up 5.6" / 2.5" and PWM will end up 9.4" / 5.7". I know it seems strange how they do it, but trust me on this. 

Archived