Newest Member
    joxey
February 9th Coastal Storm Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

This is such a monster storm, just five millibars deeper throughout the 00z runs suite, then I will forecast up to 24" regionwide.

please define "regionwide". because i feel like "that ain't happening, James"

26 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Look at 12/29-30. Tucked a sub-980 mb low into the coast and couldn't get snow back to the CT River in NH. 

Sometimes these late bloomers don't have time to expand the forcing west and everything stays tighter to the low track. A possible caution flag.

It's sort of interesting that we never even close off a 700hpa low but we get a somewhat diffuse but large zone of convergence and frontogenesis there. Not really that classic pivot sig as the storm bombs out but enough to keep things interesting even well NW of the SLP track.

18 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Nice discussion that you're adding here with the forcing.  This is why the 00z runs are important.  Really looks like the track has narrowed to  around the BM.  We can start delving into the details to look at where he best banding will set up.

Bob, I have been meaning to say this for a while , I find you one of the best posters on the board . While not a  met ,  your skill at reading models and keeping things real is much appreciated . 

2 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

It's sort of interesting that we never even close off a 700hpa low but we get a somewhat diffuse but large zone of convergence and frontogenesis there. Not really that classic pivot sig as the storm bombs out but enough to keep things interesting even well NW of the SLP track.

Yeah, that's where I see a rapidly developing band forming. Maybe not the rates of 12/29-30, but in a similar style. 850 mb low is also forecast to be much better developed in this case.

Archived