• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 9th Coastal Storm Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

Different set up .. .but, the physics are identical there to the Dec 2005 ...

Very steep frontal slopes with thickness compression co-located under very superb q-vector forcing causes that excessive deepening deal and tho it looks extreme and probably is, the model is likely tapping into it for over 90% efficiency - off the charts.  

Anyway, if something like that took place you can count on some sort of isob wind bomb ... and perhaps one also augmented by entrainment from high aloft, too -

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, met_fan said:

ALY has 1" for Albany while 45 minutes away it's 8"-12"...that area gets boned every storm

Been tough for them since Feb/Mar 2007....they did have a couple goodies like Feb 13-14, 2014 and I think Boxing Day 2010 was pretty decent there...but the recent decade of coastal storms hasn't been kind to them. They did well in the early to mid 2000s.

2 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

LOL, i was thinking the same thing, i thought there might be another Nantucket in RI, but probably not.

I was poking fun that James always says what state places are in.  He mentioned Nantucket, MA.  So I asked him his thoughts on Nantucket, RI.

That RGEM is looking nice for central MA and SE.  Hopefully some of those dynamics can deal a good hand to us in GC.  I'm also wondering if my board meeting in Boston might be postponed......

6 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

I was poking fun that James always says what state places are in.  He mentioned Nantucket, MA.  So I asked him his thoughts on Nantucket, RI.

That RGEM is looking nice for central MA and SE.  Hopefully some of those dynamics can deal a good hand to us in GC.  I'm also wondering if my board meeting in Boston might be postponed......

Not in range yet for you and here

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

lol...I don't see very much evidence of getting 4" in SE MA...they'd have to mix or change to rain, which isn't happening outside maybe parts of the cape and islands.

Right, but i could see us outside of the major banding down this far (TBlizz will be in a better spot). Instead of 2-3" rates, we'll be flipping back and forth between 1/2" to 1"/hr rates. 

Just now, SouthCoastMA said:

Right, but i could see us outside of the major banding down this far (TBlizz will be in a better spot). Instead of 2-3" rates, we'll be flipping back and forth between 1/2" to 1"/hr rates. 

Yes that is very possible. But over 10-12 hours you'll still get like 7" if that happened. You might even get lucky near dryslot and get into a more convective band for a couple hours. It's better than playing chicken with a borderline scraper I think.

32 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

The 18Z RGEM is ridiculous.  972 at 48 hours 

It has that look to it at hour 48 that maybe just maybe we could get 500 to close off and slow this sucker down for a little bit.

7 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Different set up .. .but, the physics are identical there to the Dec 2005 ...

Very steep frontal slopes with thickness compression co-located under very superb q-vector forcing causes that excessive deepening deal and tho it looks extreme and probably is, the model is likely tapping into it for over 90% efficiency - off the charts.  

Anyway, if something like that took place you can count on some sort of isob wind bomb ... and perhaps one also augmented by entrainment from high aloft, too -

He mention Dec 2005.  Sound the alarms!!

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

lol...I don't see very much evidence of getting 4" in SE MA...they'd have to mix or change to rain, which isn't happening outside maybe parts of the cape and islands.

My biggest issue I see is subsidence and that may be around for a few hours.  ML deformation band looks to be N & W of here but it won't rot there so I feel comfortable on 6-10"+.

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yes that is very possible. But over 10-12 hours you'll still get like 7" if that happened. You might even get lucky near dryslot and get into a more convective band for a couple hours. It's better than playing chicken with a borderline scraper I think.

there might even be a secondary max nearer the coast, these guys....

I know it comes off as hysterical fretting to people who don't live down in these specific regions, but the snow hole/relative snow hole look starts to get modeled as we close in, and this is starting to be the case now.  These beastly bands being advertised will tend to choke us off, if they set up as currently modeled, which is typical.  Still will be happy, because even within RI, I expect to do worse than most, and pretty much everyone in New England gets snow with this one, which is what we want.  I'll be psyched with some wind and a decent snowfall, but I tend to guess on the low end IMBY.  

Archived