Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Model Mayhem IV!

Typhoon Tip

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

No.   SE MA averages maybe a bit more than half of your climo.  So in good years like 2012-13 they will double,  if you double, it tends to be a blockbuster for all and they will triple.  That doesn't mean they did better than you anymore than when you get 100 and RDU gets 30 RDU had a better year.

Yes.

Sorry....them near or greater than my amount is a shaft.

You're wrong.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

He's mostly just grumpy that he got less snowfall than places in SE MA for 3 winters in a row. But whatever. It happens. Nobody who is more than 100 miles west, north, or southwest is going to feel remotely sorry...it's still been a good few years. 

Again.  .. .I said surrounding areas. Not area 100 mi away.

7 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Yes.

Sorry....them near or greater than my amount is a shaft.

You're wrong.

See Will's post on SD, then go back and bone up on your statistics notes from college/grad school.

Them equal to you is not a shaft if you're 110 and so are they.  You're wrong.

14 minutes ago, weathafella said:

See Will's post on SD, then go back and bone up on your statistics notes from college/grad school.

Anyone who doesn't understand that areas that avg less beating areas that average more has nothing do with SD is beyond reason... and has likely been removed from academia much longer than I.

I avg like 15-20" more than they do....SD doesn't account for that.

29 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

That's why you don't use percentage. Use standard deviation. That normalizes all comparisons. 2 standard deviations for BOS might be 175-200% of climo while it is 150% for Ray. So the percentages won't be accurate in telling the story...it's almost an apples to oranges comparison  

To put it in extreme context, nobody would say ORH got shafted relative to climo if they got 110" (160% of climo) vs DCA getting 40" (260%) of climo. Those are both pretty similar frequency occurances...so they have very similar standard dev values...but if you only went on "percent of climo", you'd be under the impression that DCA had a much better winter than ORH  

Oh yeah exactly.  I was just stating that when people talk about relative to normal they often look at "such and such a place got twice their normal when I only got 110%"... I mean I'll never see 150% of normal up here.  It just isn't possible, IMO.  In SNE though it's very possible and has happened a few times lately depending on the location.

10 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Anyone who doesn't understand that areas that avg less beating areas that average more has nothing do with SD is beyond reason... and has likely been removed from academia much longer than I.

What are the differences in your normal snowfall between north of BOS and south of BOS?

Just now, powderfreak said:

Oh yeah exactly.  I was just stating that when people talk about relative to normal they often look at "such and such a place got twice their normal when I only got 110%"... I mean I'll never see 150% of normal up here.  It just isn't possible, IMO.

I think I said greater percentage of normal earlier, and that is wrong....yes.

But se MA receiving more snow than I do is a shaft...not sure you can spin that.

27 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I avg like 15-20" more than they do....SD doesn't account for that.

SD would absolutely account for that. SE MA getting more snow than you is def a more anomalously good winter for them...but then again they had an excellent last two seasons. It happens. You had a more anomalous season in 2014-2015 than about 90% of New England. Sucks you didn't jack that year but you were pretty close. 

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

SD would absolutely account for that. SE MA getting more snow than you is def a more anomalously good winter for them...but then again they had an excellent last two seasons. It happens. You had a more anomalous season in 2014-2015 than about 90% of New England. Sucks you didn't jack that year but you were pretty close. 

That is what I mean. ...more anomalously good winter.  I articulated poorly.

I hate to say it but with another miserable snow to rain event coming and another in line after that, I'm pretty much done with winter this year. Can't understand folks who prefer brown and wet to snow. It seems to drag on forever this way. Of course, as the New England weather gods might have it, we'll get hit with repeated heavy snowfalls from mid March to late April!

13 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

That is what I mean. ...more anomalously good winter.  I articulated poorly.

But-you also had a great winter.  You're right in that you articulated poorly because the way I read you were screwed in 2014-15.  When everyone gets a record or near record you know there will be jack differences.  But go back 10 years and my guess is you do well vs them on average.

Sipprell just wrote this in AFD:

Perhaps rambling, totally out of my mind, just trying to make sense
of it all. This winter has not met initially though expectations by
many in the meteorological community. Will convey greater confidence
and forecast thinking in the details below. Main focus on Tuesday
especially, will only touch on the remaining forecast thereafter.

2 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

The AO going negative next week isn't going to have any effect on that 

Heh so sure? That was a HUGE change in one run on the GFS. There's going to be a lot of arctic air available early next week. Northern stream will predominate with this, and it's going to be cold.

40 minutes ago, weathafella said:

But-you also had a great winter.  You're right in that you articulated poorly because the way I read you were screwed in 2014-15.  When everyone gets a record or near record you know there will be jack differences.  But go back 10 years and my guess is you do well vs them on average.

Yes...my bad.

Still not fully convinced this recent eruption of moderate anomaly mid and upper stratospheric warm mass in the PV region, is of the downward propagating variety.

The correlation on the AO requires that. Otherwise, warm or cold masses develop regularly, ...decaying at altitude in time, at irregular intervals, and consistent with all this .. do not appear to correlate with the Arctic Oscillation. 

That said, the present falling AO doesn't appear correlated because it precedes any such behavior - if ever it can be shown to actually be downwelling warm anomaly. 

The other aspect about the falling AO is that ... the blocking and cold doesn't have to situated on our side of the hemisphere.  In fact, sometimes when the AO tanks...Eurasia cools first and then as the R-wave start realigning around the hemisphere N/A catches up later.

Did anyone else notice this ... ?

The 18z GFS now has the parent low out there in eastern Michigan barely succeeding 995 mbs ...where three days ago most models were in the mid 970s some where or thereabouts.

Also, this run seemed to lag the polar high over Ontario just eeevver so slightly back west per time intervals ... and with a weakening (trend) low in the west ... starts to get a little iffy to me as to whether the warm air bullies in like that.

Course, that relative to this run -

8 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

The 18z GFS now has the parent low out there in eastern Michigan barely succeeding 995 mbs ...where three days ago most models were in the mid 970s some where or thereabouts.

Also, this run seemed to lag the polar high over Ontario just eeevver so slightly back west per time intervals ... and with a weakening (trend) low in the west ... starts to get a little iffy to me as to whether the warm air bullies in like that.

I brought that up this morning, but in the spirit of this winter, the high has trouble building south.

8 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Nice little ZR event that run across N/NE MA. Nice cold tuck south Tuesday night

Archived