Newest Member
    joxey
Model Mayhem IV!

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, weathafella said:

I'm overlying output.  Pretty big step away vs 0z.  

My only reservation is the GEFS.....and anecdotally speaking, I do not feel as though the EURO has outperformed the GFS within 84 hours this season....at least not when it has mattered......EURO has been too cold/progressive, ironically enough.

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

My only reservation is the GEFS.....and anecdotally speaking, I do not feel as though the EURO has outperformed the GFS within 84 hours this season....at least not when it has mattered......EURO has been too cold/progressive, ironically enough.

It is hard to bite on a threat with the euro so meh. As Jerry said... it appears the euro went in the opposite direction... which in my view... puts this threat on life support.

I feel like the GFS is just as likely to lose it the next run.

1 minute ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

It is hard to bite on a threat with the euro so meh. As Jerry said... it appears the euro went in the opposite direction... which in my view... puts this threat on life support.

I feel like the GFS is just as likely to lose it the next run.

I don't know about life support.   This is still d4..

23 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Yeah I'm simply arguing that the euro is less this run.  114 hours for 0z run has 996 system st closest pass.   102 hours this run has weaker system further away.

lol oops, when i toggle previous run me thinks its 0z but its really sat 12z. ok you win this time, but I will not forget. 

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I'm fully on board for a good hit Thursday. That ensemble support is hard to ignore. We've seen these so many times over the years. Op runs see it, lose it and ensembles get stronger and closer every run . Then op runs pick it up again . Should be a solid event and best case is SNE biggest snowfall of winter 

Yeah... zero chance of 16" here.

Maybe ... only because nothing's impossible in the fercockta reality of weather. 

It would have to overcome synoptic -scaled theta-e stripping though... Tuesday's system gobble's up the moisture and whisks it away with it's exit. 

The best way to overcome, given the short duration between Tuesday's system and that Thursday deal, would be to have the later system's deep layer evolution slow down; essentially a hook-and-latter scenario that feeds in Atlantic moisture. But this pattern et al is intrinsically not likely to produce that sort of evolution.  It's too progressive with too much velocity and not enough N-S curvature in the flow... My immediate guess (seein' as everyone asked .. ) is that system is either not real, or remains flat.  

What I find more interesting about the Euro run is that we go through this whole saga for Tuesday almost identically D 7 -8 on this run ...even has a similar follow-up "phantom" wave in much the same vein.

6 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Maybe ... only because nothing's impossible in the fercockta reality of weather. 

It would have to overcome synoptic -scaled theta-e stripping though... Tuesday's system gobble's up the moisture and whisks it away with it's exit. 

The best way to overcome, given the short duration between Tuesday's system and that Thursday deal, would be to have the later system's deep layer evolution slow down; essentially a hook-and-latter scenario that feeds in Atlantic moisture. But this pattern et al is intrinsically not likely to produce that sort of evolution.  It's too progressive with too much velocity and not enough N-S curvature in the flow... My immediate guess (seein' as everyone asked .. ) is that system is either not real, or remains flat.  

What I find more interesting about the Euro run is that we go through this whole saga for Tuesday almost identically D 7 -8 on this run ...even has a similar follow-up "phantom" wave in much the same vein.

The winter has been very redundant. 

Many systems of seemingly identical ilk....unimpressive quantities of kitchen sink, to rain.

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

The winter has been very redundant. 

Many systems of seemingly identical ilk....unimpressive quantities of kitchen sink, to rain.

:D  ... amusingly darkly poetic in a way there, Ray.  

It's like being in the throws of a stomach involved flu where waves of nausea are unrelenting and repeating, and you wonder if it will ever get better ... and it never does does does

2 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

:D  ... amusingly darkly poetic in a way there, Ray.  

It's like being in the throws of a stomach involved flu where waves of nausea are unrelenting and repeating, and you wonder if it will ever get better ... and it never does does does

:lol:

"And it never does"...just waves of mixed 'rhea

2 hours ago, White Rain said:

I was using the pivotal weather maps. Not sure if they do as well?

IMG_0174.GIF

For reference the Kuchera method is better than the alternative (just applying one ratio to all frozen precip, or below freezing precip). It attempts to take into account warm layers aloft. But it can still overestimate snowfall, especially in areas of high QPF.

Basically if you have a warm layer (> -2C) it uses the formula 12 + 2*(271.16 - MaxTempAloft). Yes we're using Kelvin. 

So say, we have a +1C warm nose that will produce sleet. We know that is typically a 3:1 or 2:1 ratio. But the Kuchera method will give you 12 + 2*(271.16-274.16) = 6:1. In a sleet bomb you'll still see snow overestimated (like our last big mixed system).

38 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I'm fully on board for a good hit Thursday. That ensemble support is hard to ignore. We've seen these so many times over the years. Op runs see it, lose it and ensembles get stronger and closer every run . Then op runs pick it up again . Should be a solid event and best case is SNE biggest snowfall of winter 

Still way to early imo to say either way.  GEFS is a nice signal for sure, but this can very easily go the way that many of them have this season...which is down the tubes.   It's a tough year this season to get anything really substantial it seems...I'd be more cautious so as not to be disappointed when it fades away.

Archived