Newest Member
    joxey
Model Mayhem IV!

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

not sure why cmc gets discussed as frequently as it does, its a garbage piece of guidance. with that said, thur is far from a lock in either direction. Would like to see the euro get on it today though otherwise its a long shot. 

I don't disagree that it is garbage... but if there is going to be something... you'd think it would at least have the system somewhere at this lead 

15 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I don't disagree that it is garbage... but if there is going to be something... you'd think it would at least have the system somewhere at this lead 

it kinda does just a crapped out mess. anyway, it does give the texas panhandle 36" of bedside love leading up to vday. An upcoming blue ball episode for them. 

Just now, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

it kinda does just a crapped out mess. anyway, it does give the texas panhandle 36" of bedside love leading up to vday. An upcoming blue ball episode for them. 

Just now, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Whatt??

Yea, that is suspect to say the last lol

11 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Wave 1 looks like the prototypical winter 2017 event, followed by close whiff......sequence that absolutely embodies this season.

Hopefully the cycle breaks, but I'm highly skeptical.

I think the AO is a game changer this time. It should slow things down enough over the central CONUS to keep it from an ots solution.  We also have an arctic airmass plunging in behind to help wrap this guy up and bend him back. The major caveat to

me is Tuesday. We certainly don't want a sub 980 mb low in Quebec as per the 12z GFS. The Good news is as I said before is that run is all by itself right now, and likely wrong imo.

9 minutes ago, weathafella said:

12Z GEFS still pretty robust for wave 2.

Mean QPF of 0.5"+ is pretty impressive considering what everything else looks like right now.

I'm often of the mindset that you take it one storm at a time, especially in this setup where the followup is going to depend at least somewhat on the track/strength of the initial system. I don't think we'll get a clear picture on this one until Tuesday most likely, but it's definitely got some upside as various runs have showed.

gefs bullish.png

4 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

I think the AO is a game changer this time. It should slow things down enough over the central CONUS to keep it from an ots solution.  We also have an arctic airmass plunging in behind to help wrap this guy up and bend him back. The major caveat to

me is Tuesday. We certainly don't want a sub 980 mb low in Quebec as per the 12z GFS. The Good news is as I said before is that run is all by itself right now, and likely wrong imo.

Fair point.

I'll defer to your very good analysis for now because I haven't looked that closely...but I have been saying that nothing has really changed from earlier this season.

The AO would in fact represent change, but that doesn't have to mean a good storm (I  know you are aware of this). 

3 minutes ago, SR Airglow said:

Mean QPF of 0.5"+ is pretty impressive considering what everything else looks like right now.

I'm often of the mindset that you take it one storm at a time, especially in this setup where the followup is going to depend at least somewhat on the track/strength of the initial system. I don't think we'll get a clear picture on this one until Tuesday most likely, but it's definitely got some upside as various runs have showed.

gefs bullish.png

That is a fairly strong signal from a smoothed out product.

9 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

The only thing that needs to be watched is how quickly that ridge pushes east as troughing moves into the west  coast. That still dictates how quickly this tries to graZe the northeast. You also have some energy diving into the plains from the vortex near Hudson Bay. If Tuesday's low is on the weaker side, it would help keep the baroclinic axis closer to the coast too.

31 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

The only thing that needs to be watched is how quickly that ridge pushes east as troughing moves into the west  coast. That still dictates how quickly this tries to graZe the northeast. You also have some energy diving into the plains from the vortex near Hudson Bay. If Tuesday's low is on the weaker side, it would help keep the baroclinic axis closer to the coast too.

The latter has been treading in our favor.

Archived