Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Model Mayhem IV!

Typhoon Tip

1 hour ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

The tenor of the season marches on.  2-4" or 3-5" of mixed frozen.  Then a bit of warmth and rain.    So we wait

Exactly what it is.

I'd rather it just rain, personally....I'm done with that ugly nuisance at this stage, but it is what it is.

Hope for a real event at some point.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah, I guess I'm getting more confident on a solution west of New England with that primary ... if for no other reason, the models just won't give up and give into the notion that with a flatter ridge in the west, the whole structure should be more stretched and progressive (go figure)...  

So be it..

However, whatever contention remains is the timing of warm penetration if at all, on this far eastern flank where the polar high in Ontario, combined with our unique topographical features will pressure +PP into the lower levels and CAD down toward NYC -

Once an air mass gets 'tucked' east of the mountains and clings to the landmass in there, no models will fully resolve the 'Ekman boundary' and that is why the warm air always is late compared to modeling.  At least I've never seen it on time or early when there is actual high pressure back building CAD ... exerting fresh mass into said lower levels.  Not going to happen. So assessing some belated arrival will occur, how much... 

Then you got to get into when P-types flip around and if there is a protracted icing or just 32.7 F pitter patters. 

Caveat:  if the high between now and 90 hours corrects faster and or substantially weaker in the models, I have less issue with warmth making inroads. 

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

GFS is def the most aggressive of all guidance in winding up the primary low out in the midwest.

And yet it still has a little cold tuck and sfc low reflection Wed morning for eastern areas. I like the single digits around IZG with above freezing 850s. 

13 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

21z SREFs were further west with the precip shield regarding the Super Bowl Sunday/Monday system that appears out to sea right now.  I think the models are still iffy on the details of the system.  Cape Cod could still get clipped by some snow Monday morning.

The GFS is hundreds of miles offshore with the precip. The only shot at seeing Anything at all would be from the system passing to the north 

25 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

21z SREFs were further west with the precip shield regarding the Super Bowl Sunday/Monday system that appears out to sea right now.  I think the models are still iffy on the details of the system.  Cape Cod could still get clipped by some snow Monday morning.

Time to fire up a thread for the waters.

6 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

No kidding...such a mind numbingly boring way to have a winter

Still payin for 2015. 

Some places were over 300% of normal that year. 

If it doesn't snow next year either those places may still be edging above normal for the four yrs combined. And by those places we mean most of us, too

13 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Still payin for 2015. 

If it doesn't snow next year either those places may still be edging above normal for the four yrs combined. And by those places we mean most of us, too

The next 30 year normal reset will be 2021.  The average snow 1991-2020 includes some whopper years-multiple ones.  1/3'of those years had 80+ at BOS.

4 minutes ago, weathafella said:

The next 30 year normal reset will be 2021.  The average snow 1991-2020 includes some whopper years-multiple ones.  1/3'of those years had 80+ at BOS.

Of course that we're just speaking symbolically.  

If there's any worthwhile point to that it's that nobody should be complaining  ha  

It could snow 10,000% for five years and then not snow again for 500 years and end up somewhere around average - doesn't mean diddly squat in reality

Still payin for 2015. 

This. My guess is this season claws it's way close to normal for most(75-100%) but due to its paltry events and frequent washouts, will be placed in the dung heap as a hideous winter. Even the the folks who were lucky to see a large(10"+) snowfall, will have forgotten it by now.

54 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Still payin for 2015. 

My area doesn't have near the surplus that some others have.....

54 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Still payin for 2015. 

You could also get (I suppose) back to back 2015's.        

At least 2011-2012 had Rocktober.   

2 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

You could also get (I suppose) back to back 2015's.        

At least 2011-2012 had Rocktober.   

That event stunk here, too.

Relative to the ambient environs.....I know some people are going to misinterpret this and rip my head off.....but in this respect I have been in a slump for several years.

This year has certainly not reversed that-

Archived