Newest Member
    joxey
February Medium/Long Range Discussion Thread

North Balti Zen

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Every index we track is forecast to be very favorable in about a week or 10 days.  The MJO is headed in the right direction, but if you check its verification, it has be awful.

Let's see if all holds and what that might do for on the ground weather next week and forward.

It's the first time I've seen all year where all ops/ens look the same with the MJO forecast. It's probably real. Now will it translate to anything down the line here....heh

Overnight runs unimpressive. Same lower prob chances showing up before and after the rain storm but signal has faded somewhat during the last 24 hours. What we really need is a short range pop up to liven things up a little. 

57 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Every index we track is forecast to be very favorable in about a week or 10 days.  The MJO is headed in the right direction, but if you check its verification, it has be awful.

Let's see if all holds and what that might do for on the ground weather next week and forward.

I wouldn't say every index we track will be favorable

ftp://ftp.cdc.noaa.gov/Public/gbates/reforecast2/teleconn/4indices.png

1 hour ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

It has been. What I think makes this potentially legit is the forecast strength of the MJO into phase 8. Several times this winter the MJO forecast came out of the COD...but barely. Untimately it stayed in the COD. 

Hopefully we can maintain the MJO though phases 1 and 2, but there is some indication it collapses before then. 

10 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

MJO Phase 8/SSW promised land is looking great.  

Haha...the EC weekly concurs with this timeframe as well. The EC is at odds with its own MJO forecast so one will be wrong. An old met told me years ago..."when in a drought, forecast a drought." Gun to my head I'm going  with warm anomalies for February using that sage advice. 

1 hour ago, mappy said:

Guys, it's okay. Phil saw his shadow, 6 more weeks of winter. DON'T GIVE UP HOPE

*I apologize in advance for my meaningless post, but felt the weather world needed to know about Phil and his met skills*

Good non-banter post.

In other news,  how much does the EPO turning raging positive hurt? I remember a couple years back reading that a -EPO can really help with cold outbreaks in the east, when the AO  struggles to reach negative territory.

The GFS  forecast I saw last week has the EPO  turning strongly positive.  How much concern should be put in to this one connection? 

3 minutes ago, PivotPoint said:

Good non-banter post.

In other news,  how much does the EPO turning raging positive hurt? I remember a couple years back reading that a -EPO can really help with cold outbreaks in the east, when the AO  struggles to reach negative territory.

The GFS  forecast I saw last week has the EPO  turning strongly positive.  How much concern should be put in to this one connection? 

At this point I think if we could get a -AO, -NAO, +PNA, we would be able to do without the EPO being in our favor.

27 minutes ago, Round Hill WX said:

Haha...the EC weekly concurs with this timeframe as well. The EC is at odds with its own MJO forecast so one will be wrong. An old met told me years ago..."when in a drought, forecast a drought." Gun to my head I'm going  with warm anomalies for February using that sage advice. 

Sounds like that old met was a lazy f**ker.

1 minute ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

At this point I think if we could get a -AO, -NAO, +PNA, we would be able to do without the EPO being in our favor.

That seems reasonable. My fear though however  is even if we get a decent -nao/+pna combo..  A very strong +epo with the relative lack of real cold temp anomalies in western Canada means that pac jet will really being modifying that flow of "cold air"  as it heads towards us..

In short, I worry if we're going to still have temp issues even with a decent nao given the lack of cold air in general this winter... Who knows

47 minutes ago, Amped said:

It may end up worse than 11-12  here.

I was at 13.1" on this date in 2012.  Not even close to that this year. Had 6.4 the rest of the way to finish with 19.5. I would kill to finish with 19.5 this year. Have to go back to 2002 to get close to this bad up here and even 2002 was a few inches ahead of this year at this date. 

43 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I was at 13.1" on this date in 2012.  Not even close to that this year. Had 6.4 the rest of the way to finish with 19.5. I would kill to finish with 19.5 this year. Have to go back to 2002 to get close to this bad up here and even 2002 was a few inches ahead of this year at this date. 

This year is by far the worst. I recorded the same for 2012. At least we got nicked and dimed here that season. This has just gotten ridiculous. We can't even get that 1 or 2 unexpected events that hits us and nobody else. I haven't recorded any of the Dustin's or coatings this year, only the 3 inch deal in early January. I guess if I go back and include them we might have 4.5 for the year. Just pitiful.

2 minutes ago, kurtstack said:

12Z GFS looks alright at 162 with a low in Texas a High to the north, cold air in place in the east and confluence.  At least something to keep in eye on the next few days for trends.

GFS is showing the potential with an elongated w-e boundary instead of a sharper n-s one. This is the way the ens that had a follow up hit got it done. 

The simple view is to probably hope for a warmer and/or less amplified pattern beyond the rain storm. A big nasty frontal passage is going to be dry for a while behind it most likely. 

5 minutes ago, kurtstack said:

12Z GFS looks alright at 162 with a low in Texas a High to the north, cold air in place in the east and confluence.  At least something to keep in eye on the next few days for trends.

That wasn't there this morning!  Woo storm?  --186 hours - could easily come north.

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived