joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Medium/Long Range Discussion Thread

North Balti Zen

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Its better than i expected, and dare say, were in a good spot at this juncture.  

GFS for the win. At 500 its not horrible, and that WAR might actually help to bring it up.

Nut

I thought the WAR sets up where we need a 50/50 to help lock in the cold. Wouldn't the WAR bring the warm air North instead? Im just trying to learn. I would think if this were to come N due to the WAR it would be like walking the tightrope to try and get snow?

3 minutes ago, PennQuakerGirl said:

I'll get the wine out.  Gonna be a long night.  

Seriously though, it's nice to see blue over the area even if it's far off.  

I'm gonna need your address.  I'll check my pm's regularly :P

How long until this thing is in Pittsburgh?  How many runs? It is nice to see a decent event and the time stamp have less than double digit days on it.

2 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

I thought the WAR sets up where we need a 50/50 to help lock in the cold. Wouldn't the WAR bring the warm air North instead? Im just trying to learn. I would think if this were to come N due to the WAR it would be like walking the tightrope to try and get snow?

Everything is predicated on the departing low. It's a transient sorta 50/50 blocking the flow and creating confluence at the right time. Speed up the departing low and it comes north and vice versa. If the trailing wave is slower it goes west. Too close and it gets shredded. Or it doesn't exist at all like the euro. 

There is zero chance the GFS hold this solution run in run out. It very well could happen but we won't know a damn thing for like 5 days. My money is on a no go but only because of the lead time. Way too much happens first so it's just a dart toss for now. 

23 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Hr 180-186 look like a blizzard to me. And the line starts forming...

This winter has absolutely sucked. But at least you guys make it fun. It would be totally unbearable without you guys to talk, commiserate, and fool around with. Imagine just silently looking at the crap we've had all winter run after run.  You all make it better. Thanks. Now back to drooling over some fantasy we know will be gone in 6 hours. Oh and I'm sure several weather weenies have already petitioned to have the definition of blizzard changed to "some accumulating snow across central and southern VA". 

13 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Everything is predicated on the departing low. It's a transient sorta 50/50 blocking the flow and creating confluence at the right time. Speed up the departing low and it comes north and vice versa. If the trailing wave is slower it goes west. Too close and it gets shredded. Or it doesn't exist at all like the euro. 

There is zero chance the GFS hold this solution run in run out. It very well could happen but we won't know a damn thing for like 5 days. My money is on a no go but only because of the lead time. Way too much happens first so it's just a dart toss for now. 

yeah my comment about the WAR is basically taking the model at face value....which is a fools errand, but as depicted, the pattern would support a turn up more then out.  

No worries....something totally different to chew on in 4.5 hrs.  better than chewing on nuttin.

Nut

4 minutes ago, PennQuakerGirl said:

I agree! If nothing else, this ballet-major has learned loads of new things about the weather, how the weather is predicted, and how people react to the weather being predicted.   Now, in return, if anybody wants to learn classical ballet, you know where to find me.  

And if you ever find yourself in the Baltimore/Central MD area and need a pianist to accompany said ballet...look no further! Lol This pianist is certainly learning a lot on here as well!

2 minutes ago, midatlanticweather said:

Well we need it to disappear completely for a run or 2 5 days out.. Then come back.. we also do not want a huge drastic north trend. We also want 50 other things to go just right... Skeptical here! f it moves north as much as it did on the last 3 runs it will be west and north of us soon. LOL.

LP only made it to MS/AL then east then NE. This AM it was in the Gulf to GA and then due east from there. So I agree with you. Time to slow down the changes.

4 minutes ago, Wonderdog said:

LP only made it to MS/AL then east then NE. This AM it was in the Gulf to GA and then due east from there. So I agree with you. Time to slow down the changes.

Don't get too far ahead. Majority of the ensembles don't support any low pressure at all. Op runs are the wrong tool beyond 5 days. Especially with delicate stuff like this. 

Weeklies are pretty atrocious week 3 but actually get ok week 4 and beyond. PNA/EPO ridge combo sets up with lower heights across the southern US coast to coast. Would imply a southern storm track with some blocking of sorts. lol. 2 weeks of winter hail mary style before climo takes over. It will probably be an echo chamber in here by then though. Me and PSU will be basically PM'ing each other. 

8 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Weeklies are pretty atrocious week 3 but actually get ok week 4 and beyond. PNA/EPO ridge combo sets up with lower heights across the southern US coast to coast. Would imply a southern storm track with some blocking of sorts. lol. 2 weeks of winter hail mary style before climo takes over. It will probably be an echo chamber in here by then though. Me and PSU will be basically PM'ing each other. 

Weenie suicide watch.. this has been the story all winter though... the future Looks good until the future is the next few days.

9 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

With all of us watching!

17 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I think we will be in real good shape by early-mid march.

I think the second half of feb willl probably have some solid mid range threats that will vaporize. We aren't done with tracking failures. 

Jokes aside, I don't think Feb is going to be a disaster pattern wise. Gefs has been adamant that the western ridge will hang tough d10 and beyond. Makes sense. I'm not sold on the euro. We could get a temporary blast of pac air but I don't think we'll have a week in the upper 50's and low 60's either. 

It's been kinda comical how bad it's been this year getting even a piddly 1-2" event through the cities and burbs. But I don't think that means that's definitely what will happen over the next 4 weeks. We have equal chances at having something break right. We'll be in shock and awe if/when it does happen. A 200 page obs thread for a 2" storm wouldn't shock me  lol 

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived