joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Gnarly Nor'easter 1/24 to 1/25/17 our favorite week

Ginx snewx

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting ... the NAM actually performs the capture/loop scneario back west toward WV of all places..

Honestly, how often do we see a close surface low that deep, sit statically right on top of the tallest elevations the spine of the Apps have to offer?  

It seems of the two, the actual landmass would offer at a minimum AS much inhibition as CAD but that's just me...  Nope, NAM just barrels the low right through the cordillera. 

If I had to guess at an extrapolation... this run intends to do said loop but then the low moves ESE back toward the coast over the next 12 hours; as that ...other wind max rounds the bottom of the and pulls the whole structure back E...  Also, there is signs in this run that between 72 and 84 hours the CCB region on the N and NW arc are attempting to dynamically cool back through 0 C at 850.  Just some observations.   

11 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Well after wrestling with grids for a few hours, that's the best I can do.

All you NNE weenies, I tried to be as general as possible and don't take the P&C and the like verbatim. Snow and ice were on the conservative side (considering we don't even normally forecast QPF out that far).

I won't hold you to those snow totals unless we don't end up with them................:lol:

2 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

As long as I get credit when they go higher too.

I Hhave to ask...why is the snow total so choppy over Merrimack County?  Why would there be a wide strip of lighter snow between Laconia and Concord?  Although your tiniest yellow dot is near my house, and I see you've kept Brian in the yellow. 

3 minutes ago, tamarack said:

"And he who stand in middle gets hit by trucks going both ways."

I think most of us would greatly prefer sleet to ZR.  For the skiers it would be just like from the guns, only with bigger pebbles.

Doesn't look like he hit the zr very hard right now

That's an odd evolution on the GFS. You can see how it wants to form the coastal earlier but it can't  decide where the best region of pressure falls is.

That said, with the occlusion happening much earlier now on guidance over the SE CONUS it would not surprise me at all if we were to see a trend towards an earlier secondary and the coastal SE of the BM. Once the primary occludes the process of building out the ridge out ahead of it ceases, causing an almost due east track. 

1 minute ago, jbenedet said:

That's an odd evolution on the GFS. You can see how it wants to form the coastal earlier but it can't  decide where the best region of pressure falls is.

That said, with the occlusion happening earlier, over the SE CONUS on guidance it would not surprise me at all if we an earlier secondary and see the coastal end up SE of the BM. Once the storm occluded the process of building out the ridge out ahead of it ceases, causing an almost due east track. 

Are you saying a miss to the south is a possibility?  Might as well have every option on the table...

19 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

That said, with the occlusion happening much earlier now on guidance over the SE CONUS it would not surprise me at all if we were to see a trend towards an earlier secondary and the coastal SE of the BM. Once the primary occludes the process of building out the ridge out ahead of it ceases, causing an almost due east track. 

I think the NAM is having issues in that regard too... I mentioned it last hour but again, ...it's spinning up a coastal then driving it west right up the App elevations where it sits and deepens like on top of Mt Spruce in West VA...  Lows really don't do that... 

I bet if there were more cold air this would be a slam dunk DC to Boston coastal plain special and then some but in the absence of the more typical forcing (boundary layer) it sort of 'hooking' around the capture of the U/A trough axis instead... But it's arguably false 

Ahh, I think I see what's happening...  tsk tsk tsk. 

See, what's going on is that the 12z rendition of the models all at once reversed the emphasis of the trough region as it's coming in off the Pacific - I didn't see this earlier, but such abrupt changes aloft forces me to look harder.. 

Anyway, the front side of the total jet dynamic/streak is getting the bulk share of the emphasis and that's causing this thing to cut off and get deeper earlier in the total translation across the deep south.  The prior runs put more emphasis on the trailing wind momentum/wave mechanics, such that by the time those caught up with the larger progressive L/W axis the whole bag of tricks brought more lowering heights and cyclogen feedbacks further east ...The whole thing wound up more underneath us.  

I think based on that ob (which I am reasonably confident in seeing at this point) I think there's equal chances that erroneous and we'll see the prior dynamic return as more and more of that beast gets over land.  Modelers would say that's bull**** but let's give that idea time to cook.   It may in fact BE that the earlier trough mechanics SHOULD bear the brunt of that and that's fine, but I find it suspicious that the immediately as that noses on shore, suddenly it's a barreling ball full of laughter already hitting the TV region. And comparing runs from yesterday you can clearly see all this happening anyway. It may be right... but let us not forget operational MET 101:  continuity changes require an "air" of incredulity   

1 hour ago, mahk_webstah said:

Are you saying a miss to the south is a possibility?  Might as well have every option on the table...

Well, I don't want to go there yet. But what I'm saying is that when the primary occludes it effectively buries itself in the SE, and loses the mechanism to drive downstream UL heights northward; hence it being "cut-off". The best forcing is then displaced well to the southeast, and since the subsequent wave is a product of a circulation that is cut-off they also progress in a predominately eastward trajectory. To me, it's quite possible this won't come to resemble a nor Easter at all; certainly not in the classic sense.

The 18z GEFS highlights this quite well. A cluster of solutions passes SE of the BM. 

42 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

Well, I don't want to go there yet. But what I'm saying is that when the primary occludes it effectively buries itself in the SE, and loses the mechanism to drive downstream UL heights northward; hence it being "cut-off". The best forcing is then displaced well to the southeast, and since the subsequent wave is a product of a circulation that is cut-off they also progress in a predominately eastward trajectory. To me, it's quite possible this won't come to resemble a nor Easter at all; certainly not in the classic sense.

The 18z GEFS highlights this quite well. A cluster of solutions passes SE of the BM. 

Fine with me-

47 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Nobody's  stalking anybody.  Kevin loves to think people are obsessed with him lol..dumbest crap I've ever heard.  And you've given it back to me just as much! 

When you flip flop almost every model run in 24 hours like powderfreak pointed out, gotta expect a lil heat.  

Nothing against you personally Kevin..just that some of the stuff you come out with is over the top at times.  

How bout we call a truce...

Anyway, I hope your idea from yesterday morning about the 28th has some legs going forward.  

Oh I know, I was taking about a long lost (banned) poster who was pretty funny with his Kevin attacks.  

28 minutes ago, White Rain said:

Man wish I was out in the the mountains of the Sierra this year. Would be awesome to experience the storms they are getting hit with and having A 100" depth . Getting pounded all the way down to Yosemite valley right now. Beats the winter we are having...that's for sure.

My nephew just sent  pic from his ski trip....5', with 2 more en route.

Archived