• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Gnarly Nor'easter 1/24 to 1/25/17 our favorite week

Ginx snewx

This is close to a monster (and also a dud lol) But that is what's on the table today

Trends today are HUGE

From Woodford VT to Becket (E Slope)  over to N Orh hills  and Monads they are still in the game for a heavy snow storm while interior CP could still have a mash'd potato bomb (N oF Pike) at least in initial WAA

Or it could just rain if we trend warmer or north or less stout with High

The icing threat seems weaker, IP threat has potential

anticipate Low level cold to hold steady or even be modeled 2-3F colder next few model cycles given strength and position of High near Quebec

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Guidance is slowly cooling again so that does get some folks at least back in game if we can keep the trend going one more push. We haven't been able to get that last surge of model cooling though during this system on models. Every time we've gotten close the trend reverses. 

At least 12z remains a relevant suite to watch.   The biggest change has been to reduce that warm tongue well above 850. Perhaps models are now starting to grasp the depth of the cold a little more. It isn't unusual to under estimate it when you have that high position. 

Will if you get that one more obvious cold push (Hypothetically speaking)

could this not be a monster of a Snow storm for E SLOPE to Weenie Ridge and Monads with other areas then getting into "the game"

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Guidance is slowly cooling again so that does get some folks at least back in game if we can keep the trend going one more push. We haven't been able to get that last surge of model cooling though during this system on models. Every time we've gotten close the trend reverses. 

At least 12z remains a relevant suite to watch.   The biggest change has been to reduce that warm tongue well above 850. Perhaps models are now starting to grasp the depth of the cold a little more. It isn't unusual to under estimate it when you have that high position. 

Definitely cooled enough to keep me interested to see 12z, but like you said it wouldnt take much of a shift back the other way

17 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Will if you get that one more obvious cold push (Hypothetically speaking)

could this not be a monster of a Snow storm for E SLOPE to Weenie Ridge and Monads with other areas then getting into "the game"

Yeah if things trend just right there is still potential for a huge snow event in those areas...but it needs some work obviously. 

8 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah if things trend just right there is still potential for a huge snow event in those areas...but it needs some work obviously. 

I like to throw December 92 in the mix for the highest elevations. (Obviously not the same setup) but to illustrate what elevation and crazy adabatic cooling with the super strong east flow can do. I think southern ski country is still in the game for a major snow event 

10 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I like to throw December 92 in the mix for the highest elevations. (Obviously not the same setup) but to illustrate what elevation and crazy adabatic cooling with the super strong east flow can do. I think southern ski country is still in the game for a major snow event 

That had much colder air to work with. There was 16" of paste here from that. This one there's all rain 

The 500 changes are notable compared to 18z yesterday. On the 6z GFS, the best forcing is definitely over the waters south of New England compared to curling it up into NY, and the kicker trough out west has flattened the flow in the Plains which basically progresses the system east as well.

Scott does that little LP ahead of this main low do anything for this main storm or does it just fizzle out. I was wondering if it could function to back winds more NE as opposed to east over E mass. (should main storm trend more like 6z GFS)

On the 6z Hi Res nam this system is quite notable in QPF fields Tomorrow Southern 1/2 of SNE

thru End of Pats game

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/NAMSFC4_6z/ptot45.html

6 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Also, Ray may play with a CF and weenie light snows break out from PWM to NE MA ahead of the low.

rpm/nam show this pretty well on monday. Could see drizzle/freezing drizzle too, but maybe the CF will create enough low level lift to keep it light snow west of it

2 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Scott does that little LP ahead of this main low do anything for this main storm or does it just fizzle out. I was wondering if it could function to back winds more NE as opposed to east over E mass. 

On the 6z Hi Res nam this system is quite notable in QPF fields Tomorrow Southern 1/2 of SNE

On which model and at what hour? Guidance has been struggling with the low center showing a broad circulation (which is possible) and then showing low centers sort of jumping around with convection. 

8 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

That had much colder air to work with. There was 16" of paste here from that. This one there's all rain 

I wouldn't say "much colder" that was mid December so offshore waters were considerably warmer allowing for warming on a east flow. Agreed your definitely too low for this one, I have been talking about above 2k this time not 1k. 

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

On which model and at what hour? Guidance has been struggling with the low center showing a broad circulation (which is possible) and then showing low centers sort of jumping around with convection. 

RGEM has been most bullish with that front running wave. You can see it at 42-48h

3 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I wouldn't say "much colder" that was mid December so offshore waters were considerably warmer allowing for warming on a east flow. Agreed your definitely too low for this one, I have been talking about above 2k this time not 1k. 

The boundary layer isn't going to be the inhibiting factor in this for snow. At least not inland. No way with that high position. All about the MLs. 

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

RGEM has been most bullish with that front running wave. You can see it at 42-48h

All other things being Equal, How would that depiction of lead wave effect the main storm (even if we get that move colder-theoretically) or what should snow lovers hope for with that lead wave. Could it effect position of coastal front with main show

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I haven't even looked at that model. Yeah that's bullish. I suppose it could help keep winds backed a bit inland, but in the grand scheme...it may be modeled incorrectly and I don't think it does much to the main show.

9 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

All other things being Equal, How would that depiction of lead wave effect the main storm (even if we get that move colder-theoretically) or what should snow lovers hope for with that lead wave. Could it effect position of coastal front with main show

I think a stronger lead wave would probably be good but I'm with Scott in being skeptical of it really occurring to any significant magnitude. 

I'd also like to see the secondary develop faster east of the Delmarva. That definitely would help contract the mid levels while keeping the low offshore.  It seems like the models swing the primary into WV where it commits suicide and then develop the secondary east of the Delmarva. As that swings and dies into WV, that's when we flood the mid levels with warmth. 

1 minute ago, Modfan said:

Do we still have a ZR potential from ORH south to the CT border if cooler trends continue? 

Yeah it's still there though I think the soundings are trending a bit away from that. Could be more sleet for a decent period given the warm layer is more near 800 and it's becoming shallower with time...we'll see though.  Still a lot of time to parse through ptype as we get closer. Guidance is definitely struggling a bit with how to handle the polar airmass. They can't seem to decide. 

Archived