Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Model Mayhem III!

Typhoon Tip

Just now, wx2fish said:

Yeah looked quite a bit colder in NNE. Eventually floods the warmth north at 850 due to the track, but NNE would definitely get some snow on that run

Yeah if the block just holds a little better, then it would push that whole ULL more to our south and east rather than letting it ride up into central NY. But that was a pretty big change on 1 run.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah close call this run on the Euro....wouldn't take much more to turn that into a huge paste bomb for many. It already has some snow in NNE...just hold that block a smidge longer and it's a big time event.

Not to get hopes prematurely high ... but, you know what this remains me of (speaking to just this 12z suite)?

It reminds me of that last gasp of hope in early April, where the models spin up a coastal but the medium is like +1 or +2 ...but as it gets closer, it shaves decimals per run in a painfully slow erosion of warm until you end up with the blue isothermal spring job.     I mean, I could see that doing something similar here - 

2 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Are we primarily relying on downstream pseudo-blocking or can we get some assistance upstream with ridging pushing the trough axis further E?

The main feature is definitely the Hudson Bay block, but yeah, if you get something to kick the system a little then it could make a difference...esp if we are starting from a point where it is a fairly close call.

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The main feature is definitely the Hudson Bay block, but yeah, if you get something to kick the system a little then it could make a difference...esp if we are starting from a point where it is a fairly close call.

Just looking at 5h w/ SLP it looks like it's a mess out West.  To my eye it has a spring cutoff appearance.

ecmwf_z500_mslp_namer_6.png

15 minutes ago, JC-CT said:

Not this crap again

hee hee

With April storms it's either that or "Sun Angle"  or "Warm Ground".  You choose the poison.

The Euro definitely is getting me interested.  Something to follow and if nothing else is giving me hope that the torch looks like it is going the way of this week's.

Wow, this could be a "continental mauler" 

...I've heard that said somewhere before ... but the gist is that it's multi-regionally impacting.  

Just went over the GEFs and every single member has California getting walloped as that mid range concern for next week first comes off the Pacific ocean along the west coast. Then, SW (Flagstaffer) snows and sever in SE TX through the Gulf interface latitudes...  Then duh dun dunnn (maybe)

The isotachs out west suggest 100 kts sustain mid level flow buffets the elevations and who knows how much water that transports...  

The wave dynamcs are arriving on a flat trajectory..  And, as it comes in and is ejected along the southern route/stream across the U.S. the ridge on the backside uncertainties (I believe) will be important in how much of this thing is conserved as it nears 80 W and (possibly) then up the coast.  

While all that is happening ... the block associated with the NAO (as others have noted) is being placed in a better position on this modeling cycle... I almost think of this part of the discussion as really just returning to the look (at least part way) it had prior to the last 24 to 48 hours that seemed to fiddle unsavoringly with the NAO flow... Interesting. 

If you look at the Euro for the D4 depiction (500 mb) it really isn't that different than the GGEM with one important difference: the GGEM uses that sheared piece of S/W that Euro has out ahead of the main wave axis ... to help pull down some colder air.  

7 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

It's not that close down here... maybe for southern NH on north it's close.

it will take a miracle down this way

Time is still on our side, but if it doesn't improve within the next 24-36 hours or so..then yeah we are pretty much toast. We still need additional shifts in several large scale features (such as trough axis further east and stronger more sustainable block)

Just now, OSUmetstud said:

Combo of adiabatic cooling and self-development.  Old weenie expression from back in the day. 

heh, missed that one.  

In any event, systems that are marginal can flip over to snow if cyclgenesis is intense and height falls and yadda yadda yadda, but nothing actually "makes cold" - I guess that's the rub.  

Btw, you may actually score three times up there over the next 10 days.  

5 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

heh, missed that one.  

In any event, systems that are marginal can flip over to snow if cyclgenesis is intense and height falls and yadda yadda yadda, but nothing actually "makes cold" - I guess that's the rub.  

Btw, you may actually score three times up there over the next 10 days.  

He is lucky there. We need a major snowstorm here. 

Archived