Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Model Mayhem III!

Typhoon Tip

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I'm not doing anything. Just saying the hiatus from cold and snow (with the exception of tonight's thing) had been modeled well. 

I don't think it has, though...  What about the -NAO from yesterday... I think the "mood" to 86 the winter is verifying rather nicely, sure.   :lmao:

Come hell or high water ... this winter seems destined to irk the winter enthusiasm base - no quesiton.  In elaborate ways, too.  And...it's not just not working out... it's doing so in a insidiously.   

heh, it's all good.  Frankly, I'm ready for spring... I kind of checked out back in mid December when it first became apparent we were being dealt reversals ... Just trying to be objective is all.  As much as I dread middle age... time goes by real fast for me.  It'll be June 10 in like 10 minutes ... fuggit

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

This particular run would certainly do that with warmth and rains.

Though it's got zero support for record warmth like that. What a fluke run 

Really?  

As Scott and I were just intimating ... maybe the cosmic stick in the bum winter we're having might be a clue, too - no? 

Gotta watch that block though up toward Ontario and Hudson Bay between D4-5...Euro is stronger with it this run and if it manages to close off and sit there, then next week all of the sudden becomes more interesting. The block opens back up on this run and moves east, so it allows the storm to be warmer at the last second.

7 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I don't think it has, though...  What about the -NAO from yesterday... I think the "mood" to 86 the winter is verifying rather nicely, sure.   :lmao:

Come hell or high water ... this winter seems destined to irk the winter enthusiasm base - no quesiton.  In elaborate ways, too.  And...it's not just not working out... it's doing so in a insidiously.   

heh, it's all good.  Frankly, I'm ready for spring... I kind of checked out back in mid December when it first became apparent we were being dealt reversals ... Just trying to be objective is all.  As much as I dread middle age... time goes by real fast for me.  It'll be June 10 in like 10 minutes ... fuggit

From almost two weeks out, the whole hemispheric pattern was modeled to get crappy. That's what I mean. I don't care about the specifics of whether it's 40 or 55...it looks rather hostile for good cold and snow which is all I mean. However, given the look I see heading into Feb, I think checking out is a bit premature. But that's JMHO.

7 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

From almost two weeks out, the whole hemispheric pattern was modeled to get crappy. That's what I mean. I don't care about the specifics of whether it's 40 or 55...it looks rather hostile for good cold and snow which is all I mean. However, given the look I see heading into Feb, I think checking out is a bit premature. But that's JMHO.

oh i'm with ya - i get it.

we're just sort of biding time "hoping" that the -NAO has legs - that was sort of new to the equation along the way.   right now, it's limping in the guidance to put it nicely.   it could return. the way the winter has gone, it won't...  

Know what a lot of this reminds me of - that notion that the base-line climate has/is passing over a threshold (so to speak).  Like, maybe in the absence of a -EPO or -NAO (that's not a circle jerk like this modeled pos), the baseline is already too late.  maybe we think of cold snaps as getting back to normal, when in reality, they are just cold anomalies...  

but then I think that's not likely ... when the climate/NASA tell us this month or that month is the warmest ever...they're usually talking about mere decimals less than tenths.  

6 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

oh i'm with ya - i get it.

we're just sort of biding time "hoping" that the -NAO has legs - that was sort of new to the equation along the way.   right now, it's limping in the guidance to put it nicely.   it could return. the way the winter has gone, it won't...  

Know what a lot of this reminds me of - that notion that the base-line climate has/is passing over a threshold (so to speak).  Like, maybe in the absence of a -EPO or -NAO (that's not a circle jerk like this modeled pos), the baseline is already too late.  maybe we think of cold snaps as getting back to normal, when in reality, they are just cold anomalies...  

but then I think that's not likely ... when the climate/NASA tell us this month or that month is the warmest ever...they're usually talking about mere decimals less than tenths.  

The -NAO is voodoo until further notice. Guidance has been biased way too negative since the Fall. I'm not talking about some weenie Hudson Bay block, I mean a true -NAO. I do see signs of some sort of strat disruption as you have noted too. The ridging at 50mb-10mb looks to coincide with 500mb ridging in the same spot. Hopefully that means we have some stability to the pattern after we flip.

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

The -NAO is voodoo until further notice. Guidance has been biased way too negative since the Fall. I'm not talking about some weenie Hudson Bay block, I mean a true -NAO. I do see signs of some sort of strat disruption as you have noted too. The ridging at 50mb-10mb looks to coincide with 500mb ridging in the same spot. Hopefully that means we have some stability to the pattern after we flip.

If we do ...  frankly, the PNA just rose from -2 to passing neutral and supposedly heading for +1 ... 

we should have had a big A. by now anyway ... we haven't.  Nor has the "pattern" convincingly done schit in my mind.   I mean, I keeping vigil that it still may... and it may. But, so far, California is getting ready for another hundo in the elevations with flood warnings in the valleys - 

Weeks ago I postulated in brief that I wondered what would happen if the EPO really relaxed, with that preponderant warm wall in the deep S creating so much gradient at the time. Like the earliest spring ever...  At some point in this GW scare, that unsavory reality will happen...  Most roll eyes and argue we're decades away from this or that ... but, nobody knows.  The nay sayers are as full of schit as the hay sayers.  At the end of the day, warming tends to equal not cooling. 

In any event, the stratosphere part of this is also voo doo to me until it is shown to be a downweller - i haven't seen evidence of that.  warm nodes pop off all the time; doesn't make them modulators of the AO. 

as far as the NAO since Fall ... that may be so... This was the first modeled negative phase that caught my eye - I wonder if we do get the phase negative and never cool off because of it.  

2 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Lots of melts today.... shades are still closed for two more weeks.... as has been discussed for probably 10 days now.

Open on 2/1

I still stand by this

On 1/11/2017 at 0:25 PM, SouthCoastMA said:

Close the shades for 15 days, at least down here. Open them again during the Super Bowl bye week 

3 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

With wintry precip today and tomorrow and as Will stated, something to watch early next week. Better than 50's everyday Like folks were calling for 

It's been above normal and will continue to be through the next 7-14 days.  No one called for 50s (20 above) for 2 weeks.

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

The 2/2 storm was windy and we had some lesser wind with the VD bust, but beyond that, my recollection was cold, clear, calm wx.  Also dry - diurnal range averaged 26.6 with no major frontal rockets/plummets, so sublimation was certainly in play, though having the pack with a net decline 2/2 thru end of month remains an oddity.  Some of that decline was inevitable due to settling, as 1/30-2/2 saw two storms bring 16" of 15:1 snow, but we had storms of 4.7" and 5.5" (plus a number of under 2" events) later that month and still lost depth. 

I could only check AUG for winds in your area, but they had gusts around 30 mph for most of the first half of the month.

36 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

He's spinning his web of BS.

17 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

The man is sick. It's a terrible pattern with the chance of ending in a torch before we flip. I'm not sure about that torch part, but it's a puke pattern until after day 10. 

Same old same old with that one...Total and complete BS!!  He's spinning his web of BS so he can fool himself into sleeping better these next 12 days lol..it's so dam stupid.

Archived