Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Model Mayhem III!

Typhoon Tip

2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Euro actually shows -850 east inflow into the Berks and Greens prior to the cut throwing some decent amount of snow into those areas. Trend graphics are pretty interesting at 12Z, would be nice to see that keep up tomorrow. Getting close to running out of time.

If we get one more tick robust on that block, it's gonna be a major snowstorm for someone in the interior...but you're right, the clock is rapidly ticking. The block forms around 84-96 hours, so there isn't a ton of time to trend, even though the storm itself is more like 120 hours and beyond. The block is what allows that sneaky cold to get shoved down into Maine and eventually the rest of NE prior to the storm's arrival....there's little nuances that can affect how efficiently that cold is utilized such as when Tip was mentioning the GGEM sort of pulls it down a little better with that lead lobe on the trough....but without the block, none of that matters, so it would be really nice to get one more bump.

At least there's a reason to model watch right now. Sometimes crappy longwave patterns can stay interesting.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

One more big rainer for most of us..and then the one on the 28th looks to be the first region wide snowfall since the 8th

I wouldn't sell the 23-24th just yet...it's not a high probability, but there's definitely still a fighting chance for that to be a good interior snow event.

8 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I wouldn't sell the 23-24th just yet...it's not a high probability, but there's definitely still a fighting chance for that to be a good interior snow event.

I don't see how that happens . Not enough cold air in time. Was that sort of how Dec 92 evolved? Things looked bleak but cold appeared last minute?

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I don't see how that happens . Not enough cold air in time. Was that sort of how Dec 92 evolved? Things looked bleak but cold appeared last minute?

Not the same exact evolution, but they did both involve downstream blocking in Canada with marginal cold...the Dec '92 block was a bit further east which made sense because the ULL came in from a more due westerly angle and sort of just plowed underneath us...this current system is more swinging up from the deep south and will need the block further west to push the ULL under us rather then up through NY State. But the block also solidifies some marginal cold if it is able to hold ground. It would be cold enough for the interior for snow if that happened.

It's not a great chance, but I would say it's enough of a chance that it warrants watching. Obviously the further north, the better in the interior, but even down where you are it could produce something if the setup trends a little more favorable.

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

EPS mean precip is 1.5 to 2.5 inches up to NVT including the majority of NH Maine with snow mean a half foot in the Berks Greens Whites

Yeah I hadn't been paying attention...playing in the pow today...but that's pretty interesting when I just looked through WxBell.

That storm at Day 10 on the Euro looks like it would be an absolute monster.  Good to see some of this stuff even in fantasy range.

2 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Mean is 980 is from the Delmarva over the BM then East of CC. However 850 mean is well inland but the Berks and Greens are under the gun.

That will produce an ENE wind trajectory, which is much worse for coastal flooding than yesterdays solution.

6 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

No comments on the 18z GFS tells you just about all you need to know.

It looks like garbage... lots of rain for a lot of people 

Actually it trended better than 12z. You're pretty much out of the game anyway there, but for interior it's worth watching.

3 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

No comments on the 18z GFS tells you just about all you need to know.

It looks like garbage... lots of rain for a lot of people 

There's a decent front end thump for MPM-Hubb and parts of NH/VT. H8 is a little iffy but wetbulbs are near 0C in that warm layer before the warm air overtakes the entire column.

30 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Actually it trended better than 12z. You're pretty much out of the game anyway there, but for interior it's worth watching.

I'm not expecting anything here... but I mean... it doesn't look great for anyone at the moment. It did look better than 12z... but still a lot of work to do 

5 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I'm not expecting anything here... but I mean... it doesn't look great for anyone at the moment. It did look better than 12z... but still a lot of work to do 

Well I don't think anyone is going to get too worked up over a 120+ hour solution. Mostly looking at trends right now.

It's definitely an uphill climb, but worth watching.

Archived