CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
January 7th/8th Storm Discussion

TauntonBlizzard2013

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel like this storm could have one of those weenie secondary or tertiary bands. Not necessarily all the stuff we are talking about..but maybe one of those H5 bands that occur far west where areas west and east of the band have 2" and they have 4. something like that. I feel like there is good fronto in the H6-H5 layer. This is rather high...but I think something to watch.

28 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

The one thing I have noticed recently with the Nam and now the new RGEM, is the redevelopment on the western side of the precip as it moves into NE. You can really see this when looking at the 700 level moisture, you can see it almost build westward once it hits this latitude. The meso models showed this too with the first wave this morning. Since I am on the western side of both the storms it makes a difference for me. With the new RGEM, 0.3 - 0.35 of qpf could get me 6" with ratios over here in far western CT.

agree, good point. 

4 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Folks thought that event that crushed ME was a tough forecast around here, but I think this one is a bit*h.

That one was clear cut NBD to me.

You still could get a decent snow (warning perhaps?) depending on where banding sets up.  But yeah...exhaust is seemingly always an issue for your hood.

I dunno...2-7" for your casa?   

2 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

You still could get a decent snow (warning perhaps?) depending on where banding sets up.  But yeah...exhaust is seemingly always an issue for your hood.

I dunno...2-7" for your casa?   

That is why I don't JP much...caught in between the coast and interior.

I live the perfectly wrong distance from the ocean.....just far enough so that it never helps me, but just close enough for it to hurt me.

...the 06z NAM was farther E by anal ticks than this run though - certainly by sensible weather gradient. Edit, actually the 12z was farther E - my bad. I always shirk my time stamps.. .But, the point about the trend for back off starting in 06z is in there. We'll see if it has legs... Frankly, I like the RGEM better inside of 48 hours as a general rule.

in any case, one thing that may be monitored over the nearer term is the amount of convection that fires off in the deep S along the leading edge of the baroclinic axis. One thing that used to puzzle models was the amount of manufactured latent heat release and it's effects immediately down stream as it circulated/exhausts into the down stream ridging. 

in this case, there isn't much downstream ridging to the naked eye, but ...trust me, it has to be there by physical wave mechanics.  that said, ever so slight tickes NW of the isopleths results when actual real-time sampling of said atmosphere amid and immediately downstream of said convection actually happens. 

it's not a huge science-fiction leap to see a NW bump or adjustment as this thing climbs in latitude ; the effect has been noted in the past.  P flights have been used to sample that region of the Atlantic for a reason.  

i don't have a lot of confidence that this factor will be the storm enthusiasts savior ... but it just adds to this.  

In the end it is all still just a needle threader type of event... it's got to spatially fit through a key-hole of lat and lon... possibly offset some by intensity over all, as well as whether the models are correctly processing some of the mlv mechanics over the nw arc as others have questioned.  

2 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

The GFS and NAM have a :weenie: sig back here with some nice omega around 850mb after 00z tomorrow. Almost like some weak low level forcing hangs on after the better mid level stuff moves through. Not sure what exactly is the mechanism. Any thoughts?

Perhaps related to the ULL moving thru from the GLs?

3 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

The GFS and NAM have a :weenie: sig back here with some nice omega around 850mb after 00z tomorrow. Almost like some weak low level forcing hangs on after the better mid level stuff moves through. Not sure what exactly is the mechanism. Any thoughts?

It looks like a weak inverted trough sig around that time. It's around the same time the vortmax is passing just SE of there too.

Could be the type of thing where you have 25 to 1 cotton balls at 2 mile vis falling for a few hours after the main stuff is east.

9 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Yeah I saw that. Almost seems like the nose of the 850 jet helps, and then just lingering weak frontogenesis with the s/w passing through. Looks like Currier and Ives stuff.

7 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It looks like a weak inverted trough sig around that time. It's around the same time the vortmax is passing just SE of there too.

Could be the type of thing where you have 25 to 1 cotton balls at 2 mile vis falling for a few hours after the main stuff is east.

Yeah that makes the most sense. Interesting stuff and tomorrow has some pretty good fluff potential. 

Based on the GFS/NAM I may go straight 15:1 off model QPF given the really deep DGZ. I rarely do that. 

Archived