Newest Member
    Toothache
January 7th/8th Storm Discussion

TauntonBlizzard2013

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, #NoPoles said:

Well, maybe I'm in a good spot to catch this one...I've also been waiting for OES...haven't gotten any since I moved here last March. Pickles and I chased OES once...it didn't ever get heavy, we drove up and down route 3 and found the best band was near exit 5...that was before I lived in Plymouth so it was a long drive out and back...midnight to 3am adventure...

The climo spot for OES is to your north usually. 

34 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

.75-1.0 qpf almost back to river!

Hopefully you'll get good ratios with the 3/4 of a centimeter.  :)

12 minutes ago, sbos_wx said:

Here is my first guess. MS Paint pride. 

snowmapjan781.png

I think you're a little high for GC.  :)

Seriously though, I think that looks good.  An area that I think could still manage an inch or so are the coastal zones of NH and Maine.

As an aside (this is not directed to you and your map but to maps in general), I like to see is 'blended maps' whereby there's actually overlap in the ranges.  For example., instead of going 1-3 and the 3-5, having zones that are 1-3 and then 2-5.  I think that reflects better what happens than the straight 'step' amounts and allows for better results come verification time.

1 hour ago, OceanStWx said:

But here's the sensitivity stuff. It's a little confusing because the GEFS variance showed a weaker/SE low so the higher heights in the shortwave would confirm that variance of weaker/SE. So we want lower heights in the shortwave to produce the opposite (stronger/NW) case.

SEN_1_NCEP_Z500_0.0day.gif

The EPS on the other hand had variance for a stronger/NW low, so you see lower heights again confirm that variance.

SEN_1_ECMWF_Z500_0.5day.gif

The key is that shortwave needs to have lower heights than the ensembles were predicting to get this to continue the trend NW. I would urge the weenies to step away from the clown maps and instead compare the 12z balloons to the GEFS and EPS H5 heights at 12z.

Is this publicly available?

4 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

That IMO looks perfect..Ecxept I'd drop the 15-18"

That's really not a bad assessment. I would max it at 15" and most likely locally due to OES CJ, but I think 3" into S NH is a fair forecast at this point. I do have 3" at the MA border there. 

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

06z trends were a bit troubling. All 06z models looked like they trended east. Hopefully a 12z bump back west occurs. 

I think considering that the southern stream continues to be modeled stronger in the deep south, I think the models during the newly ingested upper level data will reveal a better environment for a massive storm.

4 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

We're nearly in nowcast territory. Hopefully I wake up to a robust southern streamer.

I'm hoping the 12z raobs find a more robust southern vort and we see the 12 suite come back a bit west. 

Still, even on the 06z depiction, the mid levels looked quite nice for a chunk of SNE....eastern 3rd for sure. 

10 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

I think considering that the southern stream continues to be modeled stronger in the deep south, I think the models during the newly ingested upper level data will reveal a better environment for a massive storm.

What's making you think that?  You're making a big assumption that the new data to be ingested is good data.  It may be laden with trans-fats.

Regardless, the changes are really going to matter what happens out to 495-ish/ORH not to you.  You're well situated no matter where it goes.

Edit:  I just saw Will's post in which he states he HOPES with respect to the new data.  I think that's the magic word.

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I'm hoping the 12z raobs find a more robust southern vort and we see the 12 suite come back a bit west. 

Still, even on the 06z depiction, the mid levels looked quite nice for a chunk of SNE....eastern 3rd for sure. 

Considering the 00z GFS and Euro matched the obs and matched each other, it is changes downstream that determine the eventual low pressure. And I really do this the GFS is producing some vorticity out of convective processes rather than maintaining the main shortwave. 

17 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

That's really not a bad assessment. I would max it at 15" and most likely locally due to OES CJ, but I think 3" into S NH is a fair forecast at this point. I do have 3" at the MA border there. 

Yeah it's a good map..I'm just not sure potential is there for more than 15"..though we've seen Scooter there in S Weymouth get 2x that in these setups..so I guess never say never

Archived