Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 7th/8th Storm Discussion

TauntonBlizzard2013

Just now, sbos_wx said:

Good idea I think but it should be cut down north and west. 

I mean for part of the area sure, but all the back to Middlesex and Worcester seems excessive to me. It feels almost like chasing a NW trend.

I mean LWM for instance has QPF of 0.37, 0.13, 0.43, and 0.26 (Euro, GFS, NAM, GGEM), for an average of about 0.30" QPF. BOX has 4.5" of snow forecast there, a straight 15:1 ratio.

So you're already hedging on the high side of QPF, and then applying a climatologically rare snow ratio to boot.

I can tell you they tossed the GFS QPF outright because it wasn't high enough, and instead blended the two highest QPF producers. 

To me it's just not the most likely forecast, this is the probable worst case scenario. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I mean for part of the area sure, but all the back to Middlesex and Worcester seems excessive to me. It feels almost like chasing a NW trend.

I mean LWM for instance has QPF of 0.37, 0.13, 0.43, and 0.26 (Euro, GFS, NAM, GGEM), for an average of about 0.30" QPF. BOX has 4.5" of snow forecast there, a straight 15:1 ratio.

So you're already hedging on the high side of QPF, and then applying a climatologically rare snow ratio to boot.

I can tell you they tossed the GFS QPF outright because it wasn't high enough, and instead blended the two highest QPF producers. 

To me it's just not the most likely forecast, this is the probable worst case scenario. 

Qpf queen? Lol . I would say 3-6 HFD ORH KGAY, inside 128 84 395 495 to the canal 6-10, with a foot on the Cape seems likely 

2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Qpf queen? Lol . I would say 3-6 HFD ORH KGAY inside 128 84 395 495 to the canal 6-10 with a foot on the Cape seems likely 

BOXGW

To me this just seems like a 90th percentile forecast and not the most likely forecast.

But maybe I'm just more annoyed at the collaboration of it all. They told us they wanted a watch, and we agreed on what counties/zones, but then at the last minute without a heads up they tossed in Middlesex. Which of course then gets NH all worried because that borders ASH-MHT. So then NH starts listening to BOX's forecast because they don't want to miss any information, and it erodes the confidence in our forecast. Etc, etc

I was fine with Essex County though. 

1 minute ago, OceanStWx said:

BOXGW

To me this just seems like a 90th percentile forecast and not the most likely forecast.

But maybe I'm just more annoyed at the collaboration of it all. They told us they wanted a watch, and we agreed on what counties/zones, but then at the last minute without a heads up they tossed in Middlesex. Which of course then gets NH all worried because that borders ASH-MHT.

Decision support Gw?

GTFOOH lol Go stare at your foot on the ground 

13" but who's counting?

This storm has always had a little mid level magic in it. At least that's been remarkably consistent for the 3 nights I've been on mids now. I highlighted a few of the red flags for NW trends in my AFD this morning.

But here's the sensitivity stuff. It's a little confusing because the GEFS variance showed a weaker/SE low so the higher heights in the shortwave would confirm that variance of weaker/SE. So we want lower heights in the shortwave to produce the opposite (stronger/NW) case.

SEN_1_NCEP_Z500_0.0day.gif

The EPS on the other hand had variance for a stronger/NW low, so you see lower heights again confirm that variance.

SEN_1_ECMWF_Z500_0.5day.gif

The key is that shortwave needs to have lower heights than the ensembles were predicting to get this to continue the trend NW. I would urge the weenies to step away from the clown maps and instead compare the 12z balloons to the GEFS and EPS H5 heights at 12z.

22 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Tasty looks abound for us snow starved ESNE rs though. Some mid level magic. Euro and RGEM have instability looks. Could be some crazy rates in a banded zone.  Nice looking stuff.

This one is gonna be quite the surprise tomorrow for CT folks seeing forecasts of flurries and coatings last night. Easy advisories at least back to the CTRV

Gotta watch for that sneaky NW band Scooter discussed yesterday. 3-6 for WEHA  maybe can sneak a 5-6" here and 8" for you

Great stuff Chris yea a true Messenger special  (RIP) but we have Diane "No poles" in place.  Hopefully the GFS bias with Miller A hasn't changed 

My gut says so. We know it has a SE bias. This storm will have convection that will feed into that bias. And you can already see spurious vort maxes being generated over the Gulf Stream.  We toss.

For us down here in the NYC metro I am hoping for the north and west trend to continue with today's 12z model suite after taking a bit of a step back this morning on the NAM/GFS which could be just noise. At this point though no one in the NYC metro should be expecting more then a few inches of snow with the exception of Long Island. I am keeping expectations muted for the time being.

3 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

My gut says so. We know it has a SE bias. This storm will have convection that will feed into that bias. And you can already see spurious vort maxes being generated over the Gulf Stream.  We toss.

WOW!! Not only bashing your brothers..but now tossing the GFS!! Never thought I'd see the day

Just now, OceanStWx said:

Nice. Normally I would be sleeping on Friday as its my RDO but our 911 dispatch Center called me at 4 am to let me know there was a 2 hr delay at work  lol. I was nice. But immediately sat and watched it snow while digging deep into modeling. You have it nailed. James FTW. Naked snow angels with Phil at noon Sunday on the Cape 

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

Nice. Normally I would be sleeping on Friday as its my RDO but our 911 dispatch Center called me at 4 am to let me know there was a 2 hr delay at work  lol. I was nice. But immediately sat and watched it snow while digging deep into modeling. You have it nailed. James FTW. Naked snow angels with Phil at noon Sunday on the Cape 

King James was always looking better than modeled on this one.

Well, maybe I'm in a good spot to catch this one...I've also been waiting for OES...haven't gotten any since I moved here last March. Pickles and I chased OES once...it didn't ever get heavy, we drove up and down route 3 and found the best band was near exit 5...that was before I lived in Plymouth so it was a long drive out and back...midnight to 3am adventure...

Archived