Wave 2, 1/7-8/17 Discussion/OBS

Otherwise, 180 KT Jet in the 12Z OKX Sounding - not a coupled jet
structure, but a heck of an entrance region driving a textbook
ageostrophic direct circulation (see Uccellini and Johnson,
1979).

Overall, a very powdery snow will lessen impacts (and make for
easier shoveling!)

While the dprog/dt of the HRRR/RAP have lowered QPF with the last
few runs, Radar Reflectivity is very impressive as of 1630Z.
Local Storm Reports from Delaware are supporting 2+ inches per
hour rates approaching Long Island. Will issue another Special Wx
Statement.

1 minute ago, dmillz25 said:

That's not a good radar

It has been representing conditions pretty well. Just light, fine snow in the air and a coating on the ground.  

When you add the clutter option back it looks much worse than its been the last hour or so. 

59 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

Up to 1" as of 11 am, reflecting the increase in intensity the past half hour (1" per hour rate).  If that keeps up, we'll get more than 3".  Down to 19F. 

About 1.75" as of 12 pm in Metuchen.  Snow/radar have lightened up a bit - hopefully a lull.  Love that the NWS finally upgraded most of the region to advisories and even warnings, although I'm skeptical of Middlesex reaching the 6" criterion for a warning (maybe SE half will).  I'll be ecstatic with 4 or 5".  

well considering that i live in the bronx ,i can def confirm that we have exceeded the 1.5 inch mark here at my locale in norwood,it's ripping outside right now also,so def working on 2 inches currently.this is a wind blown snow so measurements might be off a bit folks,not to mention localized banding. 

1 minute ago, jm1220 said:

Just dumping snow now. Borderline heavy. And really piling up, I'd say we're close to 2".

Yep.  Looks gorgeous outside.

How are the roads along the Thruway down through 287? Wife is thinking about traveling from Danbury down to Flanders, NJ...just wondering if I should have her stay home at this point...Thanks!

5 minutes ago, Cfa said:

It might be that cold now, but it's been pretty mild lately, there's likely some residual warmth. The ground isn't frozen (at least here it isn't). 

I know snow can accumulate on warm surfaces, but it doesn't happen at the same rate as snow piling up on cold surfaces.

Not true at all, I'm in manahattan the epicenter of warm ground and it's sticking to broadway with meh rates. That and the soil is rock solid frozen. Lowest sun angles of the year pretty much still too

13 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Nyc east about to get rocked. Its on!

Upton:

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY 1213 PM EST Sat Jan 7 2017 NYZ075-078>081-176>179-071815- KINGS (BROOKLYN)-NORTHWESTERN SUFFOLK-NORTHEASTERN SUFFOLK- SOUTHWESTERN SUFFOLK-SOUTHEASTERN SUFFOLK-NORTHERN QUEENS- NORTHERN NASSAU-SOUTHERN QUEENS-SOUTHERN NASSAU- 1213 PM EST Sat Jan 7 2017 ...Heavy Snow This Afternoon...Avoid Travel... Snowfall rates of 1 to locally 2 inches per hour this afternoon will reduce visibility to less than 1/4 of a mile at times. With temperatures in the lower 20s, most roadways are snow covered. Travel is extremely dangerous and should be avoided. $$

3 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

How are the roads along the Thruway down through 287? Wife is thinking about traveling from Danbury down to Flanders, NJ...just wondering if I should have her stay home at this point...Thanks!

Probably not a good idea 

6 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Not true at all, I'm in manahattan the epicenter of warm ground and it's sticking to broadway with meh rates. That and the soil is rock solid frozen. Lowest sun angles of the year pretty much still too

i'm past the upper east side and while sticking to the ground it has been remarkable the streets have been wet since the snow started hours ago even with temps around 20 or so..

you can really see where the heavier axis wants to set up...from southeast of Trenton in NJ riding up an axis just south of NYC...a some narrow heavier stuff in PA coming in but I think 2-4 for north central jersey is looking like they right call. I have about 1.25 in Belle Mead

2 minutes ago, dmillz25 said:

Wow coming down here

Variable here in SW Suffolk alternating between light and moderate bursts.