Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Wave 1, 1/5-6/17 Discussion/OBS

dmillz25

2 hours ago, Dino said:

Latest off shore SST's look hot - around 70-80F off the  Mid-Atlantic coast (about +1c anomaly) - thinking wave 1 and wave 2 will have a lot of moisture to throw around. 

IMG_6726.JPG

That has been a big player in past storms. (Last January being the ultimate example) but without a decent strength low it's going to be hard to tap the extra moisture 

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, mimillman said:

GFS looks very similar to the 6z run, cutting back from 12z. I would say the city is good for 1", 1-3" for Long Island. Probably warrants an advisory for Suffolk county.

The model consensus is for an inch or two east of NYC, NAM is likely overdone. Maybe Upton could go with an advisory for SE Suffolk, looks borderline at best. 

Can certainly see discontinuities in the snowfall maps between Mt. Holly and Upton, as Mt. Holly has areas of southern Morris, eastern Somerset and northern/eastern Middlesex in their 1-2" zone, immediately adjacent to areas that Upton has in their <1" zone, in Essex, Union and Staten Island.  Maybe that's quibbling, but there's a big difference between 0 and 1" in a storm like this (whereas a 1" difference in a 5" vs. a 6" forecast is mostly irrelevant). 

http://www.weather.gov/images/phi/winter/StormTotalSnowWeb1.png

StormTotalSnowWeb1.png

5 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

Can certainly see discontinuities in the snowfall maps between Mt. Holly and Upton, as Mt. Holly has areas of southern Morris, eastern Somerset and northern/eastern Middlesex in their 1-2" zone, immediately adjacent to areas that Upton has in their <1" zone, in Essex, Union and Staten Island.  Maybe that's quibbling, but there's a big difference between 0 and 1" in a storm like this (whereas a 1" difference in a 5" vs. a 6" forecast is mostly irrelevant). 

StormTotalSnowWeb1.png

StormTotalSnowWeb1.png

The Mount Holly maps are dated December 9, 2016.

23 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

The Mount Holly maps are dated December 9, 2016.

That's simply bizarre.  I wouldn't know where to get a map from the past if I wanted to (the NWS doesn't save them from what I was told by their IT lead), so it must be in my cache, which I just emptied and yet it still pastes in as 12/9/16.  So I gave up and just posted the link.  I also posted the same map to another site and it pasted fine.  

3 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

That's simply bizarre.  I wouldn't know where to get a map from the past if I wanted to (the NWS doesn't save them from what I was told by their IT lead), so it must be in my cache, which I just emptied and yet it still pastes in as 12/9/16.  So I gave up and just posted the link.  I also posted the same map to another site and it pasted fine.  

Thanks. That must be a cache issue. It seems like a good forecast and I wouldn't be surprised if Upton's figures are closer to those amounts when Upton updates its estimates.

8 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

Hopefully this storm will be the appetizer before the main course

Good luck with that one if you are counting on Saturday to deliver here in the Metro...........IMO Friday is the main course and Saturday is the dessert

11 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

The SREF looks to be skewed by really aggressive ARW members that earlier today were mixing precip with rain on the coast. At this point you really want to see more support from other models for more than 1-2". 

The NMB mean is 0.47" vs. 0.53" of the ARW.

Just now, Brian5671 said:

the 2nd storm is more Sunday on....not sure where folks are getting Saturday from

I wouldn't be surprised if most of us north of Ocean County NJ and west of  the eastern half of LI  don't see a flake from that one

7 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

Don't know amounts yet, but I just looked at the 0z RGEM color loop and it looks terrible. Worse than 18z and just a little light snow. Do we trust NAM more or RGEM? 

I wouldn't trust any model with this setup since it is very complicated and I doubt the models are handling it well - look whats happening out west the precip is moving east faster then expected will be now casting time starting tomorrow morning watching water vapor, observations  and radar - temps will be no issue with this one that's the only thing certain....although the colder temps at various levels will cause higher ratio's

• Rjay pinned this topic
  • BxEngine unpinned this topic

Archived