Newest Member
    joxey
Wave 1, 1/5-6/17 Discussion/OBS

dmillz25

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, mikem81 said:

NAM 3K takes the second wave to the Benchmark...

The 3k and 4k are snowier / I took the least snowy options . The UKMET was close in the S/E at 0z  to correcting to this , so we have to wait for the better skill score models to grab this.

I think they do . 

26 minutes ago, PB GFI said:

The 3k and 4k are snowier / I took the least snowy options . The UKMET was close in the S/E at 0z  to correcting to this , so we have to wait for the better skill score models to grab this.

I think they do . 

The coincident mini-PNA spike (now bringing it close to 0) and mini-dip in the EPO around the date of the 2nd wave is intriguing. I'm still not sure if we're dealing with a "too little, too late" scenario or a snowier outcome. I'll be looking forward to the GFS and ECMWF runs.

1 thing i have noticed is the blocking isn't as strong as all the models have them.the upper low in canada seems to also be retreating and giving a path up the coast,it's safe to say it might be really close for us on the coastal plain if the baroclinic zone shifts northwest which may in fact happen.

2 minutes ago, bluewave said:

That was a very rare event. More times than not, the first wave shifts the baroclinic zone east and the second event is light or suppressed.

Looks like we could swing some light snows from both events. Maybe the second one has some wiggle room to creep NW in later runs

for more than the 12Z GFS and RGEM is showing.

It was hard to forecast as well. I remember the call was 2 to 4 and that narrow strip of 8 to 12 showed up for the first storm. Then wave 2 was 6 to 12 and we saw isolated amounts much higher.

10 minutes ago, bluewave said:

That was a very rare event. More times than not, the first wave shifts the baroclinic zone east and the second event is light or suppressed.

Looks like we could swing some light snows from both events. Maybe the second one has some wiggle room to creep NW in later runs

for more than the 12Z GFS and RGEM is showing.

The separation between them may just be far enough apart.  The first wave also is not a bomb yet when its off the coast here, so that helps too.  If that thing was 980 something off the LI coast then the 2nd event would be done.  Not just here but maybe in the SRN MA too.

53 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

The coincident mini-PNA spike (now bringing it close to 0) and mini-dip in the EPO around the date of the 2nd wave is intriguing. I'm still not sure if we're dealing with a "too little, too late" scenario or a snowier outcome. I'll be looking forward to the GFS and ECMWF runs.

Don, this is why I think wave 2 could be 6 to 12 with wave 2 on the coast 

eps_pna_bias.png

3 minutes ago, dmillz25 said:

Ok I shall make this the 2 wave discussion thread. CMC at h5 looks better just didn't translate to the surface.

The RGEM/CMC were both odd at 12Z.  The RGEM had that similar issue in the SE, not so much up here.  The CMC seemed to have that noticeable almost everywhere.

19 minutes ago, PB GFI said:

Don, this is why I think wave 2 could be 6 to 12 with wave 2 on the coast 

eps_pna_bias.png

The PNA had a similar mini-spike just ahead of a snowstorm that affected parts of the East in the January 12-14, 1982 period. The forecast rise in the PNA would occur around the system this time around.

PNA011982.jpg

2 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

The PNA had a similar mini-spike just ahead of a snowstorm that affected parts of the East in the January 12-14, 1982 period. The forecast rise in the PNA would occur around the system this time around.

PNA011982.jpg

Don , I think this ends up on the Arctic boundary 

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_8.png

So I think this comes up over OBX then this really does scream NE not ENE . If we can sharpen the W a little more than we will tug the center close to the coast .

We may snow in the teens with this . 

gfs_uv250_us_9.png

6 minutes ago, PB GFI said:

Don , I think this ends up on the Arctic boundary 

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_8.png

So I think this comes up over OBX then this really does scream NE not ENE . If we can sharpen the W a little more than we will tug the center close to the coast .

We may snow in the teens with this . 

gfs_uv250_us_9.png

UKIE looks pretty nice as well

• Rjay pinned this topic
  • BxEngine unpinned this topic

Archived