joxey
Wave 1, 1/5-6/17 Discussion/OBS

dmillz25

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, danstorm said:

Given their climo, I'd change the word "may" to "almost certainly"

It will probably be the biggest snowfall in parts of the Southeast in years. Wilmington, NC hasn't seen a 6" snowstorm since December 1989.

Remarkably, Wilmington had a 8.6" snowstorm on January 13-14, 1912 and a 9.8" snowfall on February 10-11, 1912.

• Rjay pinned this topic
Just now, friedmators said:

I thought the differences @ 42 at 200mb woulda tugged her harder N and W.

The two streams on the Euro are completely disjointed. The GFS was a heck of a lot closer than the Euro is. I'm not sure what people expected with no blocking and an overall progressive pattern.

15 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

In addition to the WWAdvisories being issued for Middlesex/Mercer/Lower Bucks and everywhere south of there in NJ/SEPA/DE, Mt. Holly had a nice updated AFD talking about mesoscale banding.  As people on this board would likely know, with mesoscale banding, pinpointing the heavier bands is nearly impossible (much like convective t-storms in the summer). In scenarios like this, some small areas (like part of a couple of counties) could get 3-5" of snow, while everyone around them could get 1-3" of snow. 

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=PHI&issuedby=PHI&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

.SHORT TERM /6 PM THIS EVENING THROUGH 6 PM FRIDAY/...
930 AM Update...We are in the process of analyzing the incoming
12Z model guidance. Hourly temps, PoPs and Wx grids were already
updated for tonight and are included in the 930 AM ESTF. We
anticipate sending out an updated snowfall map and issue any
winter weather advisories before noon. The 12Z NAM, latest RAP and
HRRRx (which goes out far enough to capture the entire event)
indicate a band of heavier snowfall (2-3") that develops late this
evening near the Mason-Dixon line in SE PA/N Delmarva and expands
northeastward into central NJ overnight. We continue to see a
trend to the northwest with the placement of the mesoscale snow
band. Additionally, the models show a local min in precip between
this leading snow band to the north and heavier precip offshore,
which is where we previously forecast the axis of heavier snowfall
to occur. A period of moderate snow on the western edge of the
precip shield from the coastal low may occur late tonight or early
Friday morning over coastal NJ but it`s still a very close call.

Exactly what I was expressing last night. The general snow maps are smoothed out. It's all about where banding sets up. I think it's more like a general inch around the city with 4" in the best banding 

Just now, BxWeatherwatcher said:

it's getting there amigo, both waves are clearly west of progged models. baby steps will get us there.B)

Very possible however my red flag for this event, is zero ensembles support, the EPS and Gefs are pretty unanimous on a near miss solution, which is right in line with ggem/GFS/nam/euro.... no reason other than staying hopeful to think this thing has what it takes to get out ahead of the energy dropping from Canada allowing for the trough to dig and phase in time to bring it up coast...I'm not sayin it's impossible, I just think it's not gonna happen for anyone west of eastern Long Island... best place to be is ELI, and I think they could overperform, but I think they overperform with wave 1 not wave 2...

Also keep in mind single digit dew points, and a very cold air mass, with a progressive flow, and late phase... your gonna need to see some decent DBZ overhead otherwise your LE pours virga 

only shot we have is models are wrong on the timing and we get an earlier phase

Just now, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Very possible however my red flag for this event, is zero ensembles support, the EPS and Gefs are pretty unanimous on a near miss solution, which is right in line with ggem/GFS/nam/euro.... no reason other than staying hopeful to think this thing has what it takes to get out ahead of the energy dropping from Canada allowing for the trough to dig and phase in time to bring it up coast...I'm not sayin it's impossible, I just think it's not gonna happen for anyone west of eastern Long Island... best place to be is ELI, and I think they could overperform, but I think they overperform with wave 1 not wave 2...

Also keep in mind single digit dew points, and a very cold air mass, with a progressive flow, and late phase... your gonna need to see some decent DBZ overhead otherwise your LE pours virga 

Disagree. 

All models show measurable snowfall from both waves for NYC East and South, not just Eastern Long Island. Just because NYC wont see half a foot doesnt mean it was a whiff. The UKIE, GFS and EURO, our best models, all took huge jumps NW. Yes, not to Ulster County, but the 12z suite puts the coast in the game for an advisory level snowfall. The Ukie gives Eastern LI a warning level event for Wave 2.

8 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

yeah although the ggem and srefs have started their nudge west in their last few runs,even the euro moved a bit,not a lot but it did go west. 

5 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Disagree. 

All models show measurable snowfall from both waves for NYC East and South, not just Eastern Long Island. Just because NYC wont see half a foot doesnt mean it was a whiff. The UKIE, GFS and EURO, our best models, all took huge jumps NW. Yes, not to Ulster County, but the 12z suite puts the coast in the game for an advisory level snowfall. The Ukie gives Eastern LI a warning level event for Wave 2.

yeah i was just about to get to the part where sst's and baroclinic zone placement plays a big part. usually a evolving low tends to hug rather then out and east. in this case the blocking might be weaker then forecasted.

2 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

Comparison of the 1/5 0z and 12z runs of the RGEM. Ratios should be better than 10:1 (probably 12:1 to 15:1 depending on location):

RGEM01052017.jpg

it might still get wetter and better yet,each run has upped our totals a bit and my thinking is that it might do better then anticipated.

11 minutes ago, Morris said:

12KM backed off even more. Under an inch for the city tomorrow.

The NAM really isn't a model I take seriously. It finds a nut once in a while but it was clearly overdone yesterday with the 3-5" type stuff it was showing on Long Island. 1-2" maybe locally 3" is probably right near the coast and less than 1" in the north and west suburbs. 

It does look better for wave 2 than 12z and that brushed moderate snow on the coast. 

Archived