Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Wave 1, 1/5-6/17 Discussion/OBS

dmillz25

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, NEG NAO said:

I wouldn't trust any model with this setup since it is very complicated and I doubt the models are handling it well - look whats happening out west the precip is moving east faster then expected will be now casting time starting tomorrow morning watching water vapor, observations  and radar - temps will be no issue with this one that's the only thing certain....

And taxes.

Just now, WeatherFeen2000 said:

From what I noticed rgem is a great model just not this year. Also nam was the only model that got our blizzard right last year. I'll trust the nam especially since the sref'S are on board for at least advisory snows

Dont get your hopes up man. The NAM is really a horrible model and many a weenie have been let down after putting all their eggs in the NAM basket. Rgem is the best short range model. It's not even close.

2 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Rgem.

I agree. I've always found RGEM to be a much better model than NAM. Concerning that it came in tonight so weak, but we can hope that it's just one off run. Haven't seen a snowfall map yet, but I can see from the color loop that it's gonna be very little accumulation. Hopefully GFS will come in decent tonight, or else it will look likely that NAM is just messing with us. 

1 minute ago, winterwx21 said:

I agree. I've always found RGEM to be a much better model than NAM. Concerning that it came in tonight so weak, but we can hope that it's just one off run. Haven't seen a snowfall map yet, but I can see from the color loop that it's gonna be very little accumulation. Hopefully GFS will come in decent tonight, or else it will look likely that NAM is just messing with us. 

Agree.

7 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Wave 2 continues to look sheared out and suppressed on models out so far. About ready to write that off too. 

GGEM came a little bit further west tonight with wave 2. Not enough tho..yet possibly

GFS trended in a positive direction aloft. There's still some time to trend this in a more positive direction for us imo. 

2 hours ago, mimillman said:

Wave 2 is very much over. I think best we can hope for is tomorrow night to overperform.

I doubt the amounts will be so uniform area wide with wave one. These types of events tend to have banding that with good ratios cause a brief period of 1" per hour snow over a small area, so somome SE of the city could see 4" while most see only a coating. The NWS maps are smoothed out. 

Wave 2 has been DOA 

Just now, NJwx85 said:

< 0.25" QPF on the 09z SREF mean even for E LI. 

Time to put this one to rest especially for those of us N & W. I never had much hope in either Friday or Sunday even when a few operational models showed a foot plus.

Winter a C- so far but compared to last years F- an improvement but still pretty lame.

Looks like everything wraps up before noon except for the far Eastern end of LI where things linger a bit longer.

A few tenths of an inch LE starting on a line from about the Water Gap to Vernon to Middletown, NY, increasing as you head Southeast. 0.25"+ for most of C NJ and the Eastern two thirds of LI. Eyeballing the city is right around 0.20". 

I'd go with a coating to an inch for the far interior and then up to 1-3" for coastal NE NJ, SE NY, NYC and perhaps 2-5" for C NJ and the Eastern two thirds of LI.

Just now, Zelocita Weather said:

Wave #2 just came back in a big way on the NAM...nice storm just to our east, but as is verbatim accum snow to NYC

Lets see what the other models do. I think NYC still needs another 50 mile shift to the west, but we all know that can happen in real time...

• Rjay pinned this topic
  • BxEngine unpinned this topic

Archived