Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Model Mayhem II!

SR Airglow

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, #NoPoles said:

You've blessed us with many elegant key strokes describing your child-like anticipation of the first warm, and inviting spring day where the young, supple skin of collegiate women finally emerges from beneath the layers of dank cotton and polyester, to receive the first kiss of the summer sun. 

One would think when a woman playfully winks at you, your approach would be...less harsh? You gotta step your game up, John.

Ha ha ... if you say so. 

nah, you guys seem like you've really vested actual substance in this social media thing? 

Let me remind people, these are still faceless materialization of the electronic ether, voices devoid of the all important 60 to 80% of intonation and/or physical expression ... where communication is truly conveyed.  It really sans that type of meaning you seem to assign to it. 

just let it go

There will be plenty of melts in the coming 10 days because usually once we are in a mild pattern for more than a week with no immediate flip, things unravel around here. 

We're probably not gonna flip until February. Possibly the very end of this month but don't be surprised at the guidance rushing it. 

Hopefully we can sneak a marginal event in beforehand to stave off too much depression. 

6 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

There will be plenty of melts in the coming 10 days because usually once we are in a mild pattern for more than a week with no immediate flip, things unravel around here. 

We're probably not gonna flip until February. Possibly the very end of this month but don't be surprised at the guidance rushing it. 

Hopefully we can sneak a marginal event in beforehand to stave off too much depression. 

With that said, do long range models show somewhat back to "normal winter" temps holding thru February or we torch again? maybe asking for a lot weeks out

7 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I think as quickly as things are changing globally that the change this particular change happens the week of the 25th. The cold wil be there in Canada  whereas last time we had to reload it. Imo it's back to normal that week, and then BN the following 

I'm going to revert back to the ol' tried and true...it never snows on my birthday because it coincides with the January thaw...the 18th seems to be living up to my expectations...anyhow, looks like we all are just gonna sit back and wait this one out...in the words of Belichick "On to February"

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

We're not getting CAD everyday like that would imply, but it's not going to be the hyperbole 60s that Kevin likes to throw out either. There's no way MVL stays under 40F everyday given that H5/H85 look.

No, def not. There will be an ebb and flow to it. Two days above 40, then several days well below. Obviously the stubborn surface CAD strongly favors points east at that latitude...

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I think as quickly as things are changing globally that the change this particular change happens the week of the 25th. The cold wil be there in Canada  whereas last time we had to reload it. Imo it's back to normal that week, and then BN the following 

i really agree with you. Almost ready to pull the trigger on another special 6-8 week period.

12z model suite got a lot more interesting for sunday night clipper/redeveloper deal. Low thickness fluff bomb potential. Lots of caveats...flow is pretty fast and southern stream interaction could be destructive. Gfs and gem are now on board for something somewhat significant...euro is closer but not quite there.  

12z model suite got a lot more interesting for sunday night clipper/redeveloper deal. Low thickness fluff bomb potential. Lots of caveats...flow is pretty fast and southern stream interaction could be destructive. Gfs and gem are now on board for something somewhat significant...euro is closer but not quite there.  

Yeah I've had one eye open to this for a few days now. Probably will be a late bloomer if it happens. Too late for most of the posters here. Could be favourable for you, Leo and I.

19 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

For New England?

14 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I love the D7 Euro ...with the -10 C 850 mb isotherm basically aligning the 60th latitude across the entire breadth of Canada during the ides of January... 

No gw here ... all part of normal variability 

Certainly some weird maps in that run.  -4c in North Africa that same day.

45 minutes ago, weathafella said:

GEFS are sweet-really nice look.  It's coming! 2015 style

Ahh Jerry..you just Jinxed it for sure now lol.  

2015 was a special set up for you guys out East for sure...don't think that's coming through the door again just two years later.  I don't think any of us should be thinking something Epic is coming...but a decent pattern that produces some decent fruit would be welcomed.   Tempering Expectations might be the best way to go at this point imo.

what ...? 2015 was an utterly different circulation construct...  Not without some major over-hauling of the blue prints can the present plans be built into the 2015 Taj Mahal..

No, 2015 was about off-charts baroclinicity along the repeating arctic dump interface with mid to lower latitudes. It was about huge ratio 20::1 repeating poof bombs... where like 10 F cold butted up against seasonal norms along the OV...   

What's slated to arrive now is mid latitude PNA driven.  Not much (though I wouldn't rule out some if the PNA gets amplified enough) Alaskan sector ridging ... but enough western ridge that deep moisture in marginal atmosphere cyclogenesis is the theme; and ... that's predicated on the assumption that as the PNA rises, the southern height wall actually recedes..  But I suspect it does..  One thing I am noticing is that the NAO is getting more legs in the GEFs derivatives for the 20th to the end of the month ...AO for that matter.   Hell, ...there's even some weak semblance of stratospheric warming taking place as we type (but any dividends from ssw wouldn't be felt until later in February should one occur, given to the propagation rate/resulting time lag...)..

Or not. I'm just reporting what they show right now, and the correlations as they are ... promote a better look. We just aren't seeing it in the operational runs very well... Particularly that kerfuffle of Euro model... I mean jesus. Yes it long range but wtf is that -it may be hung up between persistence and having to eventually capitulate to the paradigm shift... I dunno... Certainly sounds good written that way.

Anyway, also, the MJO is still modeled to burst into a stronger Phase 1 ...that's western N/A ridge correlation, and with the PNA slated to rise... (oh god!) there's still some chance in my mind that even before the end of the month ...things suddenly break better (if perhaps just poorly situated in the operational model versions at this time)

6 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

what ...? 2015 was an utterly different circulation construct...  Not without some major over-hauling of the blue prints can the present plans be built into the 2015 Taj Mahal..

No, 2015 was about off-charts baroclinicity along the repeating arctic dump interface with mid to lower latitudes. It was about huge ratio 20::1 repeating poof bombs... where like 10 F cold butted up against seasonal norms along the OV...   

What's slated to arrive now is mid latitude PNA driven.  Not much (though I wouldn't rule out some if the PNA gets amplified enough) Alaskan sector ridging ... but enough western ridge that deep moisture in marginal atmosphere cyclogenesis is the theme; and ... that's predicated on the assumption that as the PNA rises, the southern height wall actually recedes..  But I suspect it does..  One thing I am noticing is that the NAO is getting more legs in the GEFs derivatives for the 20th to the end of the month ...AO for that matter.   Hell, ...there's even some weak semblance of stratospheric warming taking place as we type (but any dividends from ssw wouldn't be felt until later in February should one occur, given to the propagation rate/resulting time lag...)

Anyway, also, the MJO is still modeled to burst into a stronger Phase 1 ...that's western N/A ridge correlation, and with the PNA slated to rise... (oh god!) there's still some chance in my mind that even before the end of the month ...things suddenly break better (if perhaps just poorly situated in the operational model versions at this time)

Don't know if you subscribe to Weatherbell, but JB talks about just what you are talking about, and his ideas are very similar to yours with the MJO and the Strat starting to warm.  Interesting.

Archived